HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bubbletea
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 pm

HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

Postby bubbletea » Thu May 05, 2011 7:21 pm

I have lived in Virginia my whole life and am ready to move to a new state, but find it hard to turn down W&M (#27), which will only cost me $45K in debt (for living expenses). I would rather go to Cardozo (which will be $60K in debt for living expenses) or Fordham (which will cost sticker price) and be in NYC, but feel this may be a stupid career move. Feedback? I'm not sure what I want todo with my law degree or where I want to practice, but know that I DO NOT want to stay in VA! Need to let the schools know ASAP!

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

Postby tea_drinker » Thu May 05, 2011 7:25 pm

bubbletea wrote:I have lived in Virginia my whole life and am ready to move to a new state, but find it hard to turn down W&M (#27), which will only cost me $45K in debt (for living expenses). I would rather go to Cardozo (which will be $60K in debt for living expenses) or Fordham (which will cost sticker price) and be in NYC, but feel this may be a stupid career move. Feedback? I'm not sure what I want todo with my law degree or where I want to practice, but know that I DO NOT want to stay in VA! Need to let the schools know ASAP!


Do you want to work in VA after law school though?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Wm. & Mary or Fordham. For most, Wm. & Mary would be the easy answer, but you want out of Virginia so Fordham seems like your next best option. Lincoln Center !

bubbletea
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

Postby bubbletea » Thu May 05, 2011 7:27 pm

I definitely don't want to work in VA after law school, but was told that I would have better luck getting firm jobs in NYC/other cities if I go to W&M instead of Cardozo. Is sticker price at Fordham really better than a full ride at Cardozo w/o any grade requirements for maintaining my scholarship?

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

Postby tea_drinker » Thu May 05, 2011 7:31 pm

bubbletea wrote:I definitely don't want to work in VA after law school, but was told that I would have better luck getting firm jobs in NYC/other cities if I go to W&M instead of Cardozo. Is sticker price at Fordham really better than a full ride at Cardozo w/o any grade requirements for maintaining my scholarship?


Fordham gives you better chance getting NYC firm jobs.
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/goto%20l ... s_main.pdf
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

But it depends on how debt-averse you are and what your alternative goals.

bubbletea
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

Postby bubbletea » Thu May 05, 2011 7:34 pm

Would it be worth retaking the LSAT and applying to better schools? I have a 3.8 and a 166.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

Postby tea_drinker » Thu May 05, 2011 7:36 pm

bubbletea wrote:Would it be worth retaking the LSAT and applying to better schools? I have a 3.8 and a 166.


A big yes if you think you can improve your LSAT score 2 or 3 points. Also, how late did you apply?

bubbletea
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

Postby bubbletea » Thu May 05, 2011 7:39 pm

I applied pretty late in the cycle-March 1

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

Postby tea_drinker » Thu May 05, 2011 7:41 pm

bubbletea wrote:I applied pretty late in the cycle-March 1


In that case, I think you should give LSAT another try, and reapply early next year.

bubbletea
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

Postby bubbletea » Thu May 05, 2011 7:41 pm

I think I could boost my score a few points. Also I could get extended time on the LSAT for a learning disability and get my score up even higher (at least 175), but I felt the law schools might look unfavorably upon the extended time condition, as hey wouldn't get to use my score in their rankings.

bubbletea
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

Postby bubbletea » Thu May 05, 2011 7:42 pm

On the other hand, I'm 27 and am really ready to quit my job (basically secretarial work) and move on to something new. I suppose I could look for jobs and reapply, but that leaves me graduating from law school at age 31.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: HELP! W&M(60K)vsCardozo(fullride) vs Fordham

Postby tea_drinker » Thu May 05, 2011 7:45 pm

bubbletea wrote:I think I could boost my score a few points. Also I could get extended time on the LSAT for a learning disability and get my score up even higher (at least 175), but I felt the law schools might look unfavorably upon the extended time condition, as hey wouldn't get to use my score in their rankings.


I don't know how schools report LSAT in your case. But with your GPA, any additional LSAT point will give you more money. Regarding your age, graduating law school at age 31 with big law job is much preferable than graduating at age 30 with low paying job. Can you stay at your current job?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Screech Owl, wittynprofane and 4 guests