UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
diaf

UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby diaf » Thu May 05, 2011 3:57 pm

before this year's ranking upset, this would have been a no-brainer.

benefits of going to UT:

-i went to UT as an undergrad and it would be fun to go back

-cheaper than NU

-more lay prestige in Texas

-we might climb in the rankings. after all, the Texas economy is booming, while the midwest and other parts are in decline (i really don't know why schools like Chicago, Cal, Mich, NU are still considered better than UT when their in the middle of shit economies).

potential drawbacks:

-i'm not sure i want to stay in TX, and i don't know if the prestige is as great elsewhere.

-not sure if the new ranking is here to stay (we were ranked #14 before)

-i'm interested in academia, and i've heard that it's not best to go to the same school twice

-i've seen lots of UT grads working SHITLAW

protein

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby protein » Thu May 05, 2011 3:59 pm

Are you a TX resident? If yes, go for UT

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 4:01 pm

Enjoy Texas.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu May 05, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diaf

Postby diaf » Thu May 05, 2011 4:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:After insulting both Texas & the Midwest, you might want to explore a third option.

both seem like fine places to live, but the midwest economy has been in decline for quite some time, and i'm not sure that i want to live in TX all my life.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Thu May 05, 2011 4:06 pm

diaf wrote:-we might climb in the rankings. after all, the Texas economy is booming, while the midwest and other parts are in decline (i really don't know why schools like Chicago, Cal, Mich, NU are still considered better than UT when their in the middle of shit economies).

I'm going to UT next year, so I'm all about Longhorn Love, but c'mon man.
1. Chicago, Cal, Michigan, NU are all national law schools. Their placement still exceeds Texas', even in a bum economy.
2. When was Texas ever ranked in the T-14 before? Pretty sure that's false.
3. It's they're not their. (spelling & grammar go to credibility)
Last edited by Cade McNown on Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Thu May 05, 2011 4:06 pm

diaf wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:After insulting both Texas & the Midwest, you might want to explore a third option.

both seem like fine places to live, but the midwest economy has been in decline for quite some time, and i'm not sure that i want to live in TX all my life.

Then why did you apply to schools in those areas?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Have you been to Chicago recently ? Visit Northwestern Law & the suburbs north of Chicago & see if that looks like an economic decline. Read the Economist article on law firms & the surge of Kirkland's profits (up 23%).
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu May 05, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 pm

UT trolls are horrible.

diaf

Postby diaf » Thu May 05, 2011 4:09 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
diaf wrote:

Then why did you apply to schools in those areas?

How was I supposed to know I'd actually get in? :wink:

diaf

Postby diaf » Thu May 05, 2011 4:11 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
diaf wrote:-we might climb in the rankings. after all, the Texas economy is booming, while the midwest and other parts are in decline (i really don't know why schools like Chicago, Cal, Mich, NU are still considered better than UT when their in the middle of shit economies).

1. Chicago, Cal, Michigan, NU are all national law schools. Their placement still exceeds Texas', even in a bum economy.

It was ranked #14 in the early years of the US News Rankings

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu May 05, 2011 4:13 pm

diaf wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:

It was ranked #14 in the early years of the US News Rankings

Which means shit because all the real T13/T14 schools have been ranked in the top 10 before. That's what makes them the T13/T14.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Thu May 05, 2011 11:22 pm

I think its generally accepted that NU is better and offers a more portable degree (i.e. NU>UT pretty much anywhere outside of TX...)

I think the real question is, how much cheaper is UT? If it is MUCH cheaper or if you have more scholly $ there then you should go.

Either is fine for academia provided you do well - but yes, NU is somewhat better.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu May 05, 2011 11:31 pm

Arguing about rankings is retarded; people need to know what your debt out of each school would be in order to help you.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu May 05, 2011 11:48 pm

If not sure about TX, then NW easy. But if its a lot cheaper, then UT.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 pm

diaf wrote:before this year's ranking upset, this would have been a no-brainer.

benefits of going to UT:

-i went to UT as an undergrad and it would be fun to go back

-cheaper than NU

-more lay prestige in Texas

-we might climb in the rankings. after all, the Texas economy is booming, while the midwest and other parts are in decline (i really don't know why schools like Chicago, Cal, Mich, NU are still considered better than UT when their in the middle of shit economies).

potential drawbacks:

-i'm not sure i want to stay in TX, and i don't know if the prestige is as great elsewhere.

-i'm interested in academia, and i've heard that it's not best to go to the same school twice

-i've seen lots of UT grads working SHITLAW

so much fail in your post OP :(

i dont see how climbing a spot or two, or dropping a spot or two should ACTUALLY influence your decision AT ALL. i mean, seriously? lol i thought ppl who lived or died by the smallest of ranking movements were like unicorns or triple rainbows.

if you want more national mobility, NU better. all else, im guessing with the costs, UT is TCR. for legal academia, i dont think the "going to the same school twice is bad" thing is actually true -- either way, you ain't getting academia out of either school probably.

also, i wouldnt say TX economy is booming. its aight. we are, after all experiencing a $15-27 billion budget short fall...

gjr8891

Postby gjr8891 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:10 pm

I vote for UT

As you know, UT dominates the Texas legal market. It would be incredibly affordable for you. And, UT, in my opinion, would be an exception to that rule of thumb that you shouldn't go to law school where you did your undergrad.

UT just seems like the practical and smart decision even though Northwestern is a great school.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri May 06, 2011 12:29 pm

gjr8891 wrote:that rule of thumb that you shouldn't go to law school where you did your undergrad.

This is a rule? I'm totally screwed.

Also, UT if you want to practice in Texas, NU if you want to practice... anywhere else.

gjr8891

Postby gjr8891 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:03 pm

ahduth wrote:
gjr8891 wrote:that rule of thumb that you shouldn't go to law school where you did your undergrad.

Also, UT if you want to practice in Texas, NU if you want to practice... anywhere else.

Nah, you're not screwed. I don't really know what I'm talking about. I've just heard before that potential employers could look at the fact that you stayed at the same college for undergrad and grad school and make assumptions about you. Assumptions like maybe you're scared to try new things, or maybe you couldn't get in anywhere else, etc.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 1:05 pm

gjr8891 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Nah, you're not screwed. I don't really know what I'm talking about. I've just heard before that potential employers could look at the fact that you stayed at the same college for undergrad and grad school and make assumptions about you. Assumptions like maybe you're scared to try new things, or maybe you couldn't get in anywhere else, etc.

Lame assumption. I'm going to law school only an hour away from my undergrad. It had nothing to do with being scared to try new things.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Fri May 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Don't give a crap about the rankings. That's a non-fucking-factor in this. In my view, sticker at NU vs. UT instate = UT all the way. The employment differences between the two justifies 100k.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri May 06, 2011 1:15 pm

gjr8891 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

i have never heard that going to law school at the same place as your ugrad hurts you at all...i mean, even HLS gives bumps to Harvard ugrads

that being said, i HAVE heard that going to graduate school...you should not go to the same place as your ugrad, i guess iunno, if you were getting a PhD or something

gjr8891

Postby gjr8891 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:59 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
gjr8891 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Lame assumption. I'm going to law school only an hour away from my undergrad. It had nothing to do with being scared to try new things.

I never said I was making that assumption...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”