UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
diaf
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:34 pm

UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby diaf » Thu May 05, 2011 3:57 pm

before this year's ranking upset, this would have been a no-brainer.

benefits of going to UT:

-i went to UT as an undergrad and it would be fun to go back

-cheaper than NU

-more lay prestige in Texas

-we might climb in the rankings. after all, the Texas economy is booming, while the midwest and other parts are in decline (i really don't know why schools like Chicago, Cal, Mich, NU are still considered better than UT when their in the middle of shit economies).

potential drawbacks:

-i'm not sure i want to stay in TX, and i don't know if the prestige is as great elsewhere.

-not sure if the new ranking is here to stay (we were ranked #14 before)

-i'm interested in academia, and i've heard that it's not best to go to the same school twice

-i've seen lots of UT grads working SHITLAW

protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby protein » Thu May 05, 2011 3:59 pm

Are you a TX resident? If yes, go for UT

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 4:01 pm

Enjoy Texas.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu May 05, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diaf
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby diaf » Thu May 05, 2011 4:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:After insulting both Texas & the Midwest, you might want to explore a third option.


both seem like fine places to live, but the midwest economy has been in decline for quite some time, and i'm not sure that i want to live in TX all my life.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby Cade McNown » Thu May 05, 2011 4:06 pm

diaf wrote:-we might climb in the rankings. after all, the Texas economy is booming, while the midwest and other parts are in decline (i really don't know why schools like Chicago, Cal, Mich, NU are still considered better than UT when their in the middle of shit economies).

-not sure if the new ranking is here to stay (we were ranked #14 before)



I'm going to UT next year, so I'm all about Longhorn Love, but c'mon man.
1. Chicago, Cal, Michigan, NU are all national law schools. Their placement still exceeds Texas', even in a bum economy.
2. When was Texas ever ranked in the T-14 before? Pretty sure that's false.
3. It's they're not their. (spelling & grammar go to credibility)
Last edited by Cade McNown on Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InvictusFortis
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby InvictusFortis » Thu May 05, 2011 4:06 pm

diaf wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:After insulting both Texas & the Midwest, you might want to explore a third option.


both seem like fine places to live, but the midwest economy has been in decline for quite some time, and i'm not sure that i want to live in TX all my life.


Then why did you apply to schools in those areas?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Have you been to Chicago recently ? Visit Northwestern Law & the suburbs north of Chicago & see if that looks like an economic decline. Read the Economist article on law firms & the surge of Kirkland's profits (up 23%).
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu May 05, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 pm

UT trolls are horrible.

diaf
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby diaf » Thu May 05, 2011 4:09 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
diaf wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:After insulting both Texas & the Midwest, you might want to explore a third option.


both seem like fine places to live, but the midwest economy has been in decline for quite some time, and i'm not sure that i want to live in TX all my life.


Then why did you apply to schools in those areas?


How was I supposed to know I'd actually get in? :wink:

diaf
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby diaf » Thu May 05, 2011 4:11 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
diaf wrote:-we might climb in the rankings. after all, the Texas economy is booming, while the midwest and other parts are in decline (i really don't know why schools like Chicago, Cal, Mich, NU are still considered better than UT when their in the middle of shit economies).

-not sure if the new ranking is here to stay (we were ranked #14 before)



I'm going to UT next year, so I'm all about Longhorn Love, but c'mon man.
1. Chicago, Cal, Michigan, NU are all national law schools. Their placement still exceeds Texas', even in a bum economy.
2. When was Texas ever ranked in the T-14 before? Pretty sure that's false.
3. It's they're not their. (spelling & grammar go to credibility)


It was ranked #14 in the early years of the US News Rankings

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu May 05, 2011 4:13 pm

diaf wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
diaf wrote:-we might climb in the rankings. after all, the Texas economy is booming, while the midwest and other parts are in decline (i really don't know why schools like Chicago, Cal, Mich, NU are still considered better than UT when their in the middle of shit economies).

-not sure if the new ranking is here to stay (we were ranked #14 before)



I'm going to UT next year, so I'm all about Longhorn Love, but c'mon man.
1. Chicago, Cal, Michigan, NU are all national law schools. Their placement still exceeds Texas', even in a bum economy.
2. When was Texas ever ranked in the T-14 before? Pretty sure that's false.
3. It's they're not their. (spelling & grammar go to credibility)


It was ranked #14 in the early years of the US News Rankings


Which means shit because all the real T13/T14 schools have been ranked in the top 10 before. That's what makes them the T13/T14.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby fingersxd » Thu May 05, 2011 11:22 pm

I think its generally accepted that NU is better and offers a more portable degree (i.e. NU>UT pretty much anywhere outside of TX...)

I think the real question is, how much cheaper is UT? If it is MUCH cheaper or if you have more scholly $ there then you should go.

Either is fine for academia provided you do well - but yes, NU is somewhat better.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby Dany » Thu May 05, 2011 11:31 pm

Arguing about rankings is retarded; people need to know what your debt out of each school would be in order to help you.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby Blindmelon » Thu May 05, 2011 11:48 pm

If not sure about TX, then NW easy. But if its a lot cheaper, then UT.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 pm

diaf wrote:before this year's ranking upset, this would have been a no-brainer.

benefits of going to UT:

-i went to UT as an undergrad and it would be fun to go back

-cheaper than NU

-more lay prestige in Texas

-we might climb in the rankings. after all, the Texas economy is booming, while the midwest and other parts are in decline (i really don't know why schools like Chicago, Cal, Mich, NU are still considered better than UT when their in the middle of shit economies).

potential drawbacks:

-i'm not sure i want to stay in TX, and i don't know if the prestige is as great elsewhere.

-not sure if the new ranking is here to stay (we were ranked #14 before)

-i'm interested in academia, and i've heard that it's not best to go to the same school twice

-i've seen lots of UT grads working SHITLAW


so much fail in your post OP :(

i dont see how climbing a spot or two, or dropping a spot or two should ACTUALLY influence your decision AT ALL. i mean, seriously? lol i thought ppl who lived or died by the smallest of ranking movements were like unicorns or triple rainbows.

if you want more national mobility, NU better. all else, im guessing with the costs, UT is TCR. for legal academia, i dont think the "going to the same school twice is bad" thing is actually true -- either way, you ain't getting academia out of either school probably.

also, i wouldnt say TX economy is booming. its aight. we are, after all experiencing a $15-27 billion budget short fall...

gjr8891
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby gjr8891 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:10 pm

I vote for UT

As you know, UT dominates the Texas legal market. It would be incredibly affordable for you. And, UT, in my opinion, would be an exception to that rule of thumb that you shouldn't go to law school where you did your undergrad.

UT just seems like the practical and smart decision even though Northwestern is a great school.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby ahduth » Fri May 06, 2011 12:29 pm

gjr8891 wrote:that rule of thumb that you shouldn't go to law school where you did your undergrad.


This is a rule? I'm totally screwed.

Also, UT if you want to practice in Texas, NU if you want to practice... anywhere else.

gjr8891
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby gjr8891 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:03 pm

ahduth wrote:
gjr8891 wrote:that rule of thumb that you shouldn't go to law school where you did your undergrad.


This is a rule? I'm totally screwed.

Also, UT if you want to practice in Texas, NU if you want to practice... anywhere else.


Nah, you're not screwed. I don't really know what I'm talking about. I've just heard before that potential employers could look at the fact that you stayed at the same college for undergrad and grad school and make assumptions about you. Assumptions like maybe you're scared to try new things, or maybe you couldn't get in anywhere else, etc.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 1:05 pm

gjr8891 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
gjr8891 wrote:that rule of thumb that you shouldn't go to law school where you did your undergrad.


This is a rule? I'm totally screwed.

Also, UT if you want to practice in Texas, NU if you want to practice... anywhere else.


Nah, you're not screwed. I don't really know what I'm talking about. I've just heard before that potential employers could look at the fact that you stayed at the same college for undergrad and grad school and make assumptions about you. Assumptions like maybe you're scared to try new things, or maybe you couldn't get in anywhere else, etc.


Lame assumption. I'm going to law school only an hour away from my undergrad. It had nothing to do with being scared to try new things.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby PKSebben » Fri May 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Don't give a crap about the rankings. That's a non-fucking-factor in this. In my view, sticker at NU vs. UT instate = UT all the way. The employment differences between the two justifies 100k.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri May 06, 2011 1:15 pm

gjr8891 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
gjr8891 wrote:that rule of thumb that you shouldn't go to law school where you did your undergrad.


This is a rule? I'm totally screwed.

Also, UT if you want to practice in Texas, NU if you want to practice... anywhere else.


Nah, you're not screwed. I don't really know what I'm talking about. I've just heard before that potential employers could look at the fact that you stayed at the same college for undergrad and grad school and make assumptions about you. Assumptions like maybe you're scared to try new things, or maybe you couldn't get in anywhere else, etc.


i have never heard that going to law school at the same place as your ugrad hurts you at all...i mean, even HLS gives bumps to Harvard ugrads

that being said, i HAVE heard that going to graduate school...you should not go to the same place as your ugrad, i guess iunno, if you were getting a PhD or something

gjr8891
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: UT (in state) vs Northwestern?

Postby gjr8891 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:59 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
gjr8891 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
gjr8891 wrote:that rule of thumb that you shouldn't go to law school where you did your undergrad.


This is a rule? I'm totally screwed.

Also, UT if you want to practice in Texas, NU if you want to practice... anywhere else.


Nah, you're not screwed. I don't really know what I'm talking about. I've just heard before that potential employers could look at the fact that you stayed at the same college for undergrad and grad school and make assumptions about you. Assumptions like maybe you're scared to try new things, or maybe you couldn't get in anywhere else, etc.


Lame assumption. I'm going to law school only an hour away from my undergrad. It had nothing to do with being scared to try new things.


I never said I was making that assumption...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: stego and 3 guests