Absolute GAME CHANGER!!! Need to decide A-S-A-P

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which do I choose?

Wake Forest with a 30K a year scholarship
16%
Notre Dame with a 18K a year scholarship
84%

Total votes: 99

geoduck

Re: Absolute GAME CHANGER!!! Need to decide A-S-A-P

Postby geoduck » Thu May 05, 2011 4:19 pm

snapdragon wrote:
geoduck wrote:Good Standing is a ridiculously better condition than top 33%. You have no way of knowing that you will be in the top 33% for certain... but you can pretty much expect that you will keep Good Standing. Even if Notre Dame didn't have the better prestige, this would be important. Together? ND all the way.

I agree with you, but Wake's stips are actually top 66% not 33%. And I think you keep half if you fall below top 66%.

Still tho! ND

Dur yes, that is correct. Hurrah for speed reading brain lapses. Still, good standing is better.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu May 05, 2011 4:25 pm

It is highly probable that you won't get either DC Biglaw or "politics" coming out of either of those schools. WFU just started a DC 3L externship or something, and ND has a better than average alumni base, but it's unlikely you'll land DC strictly from a numbers perspective.

Perch

Postby Perch » Thu May 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Hank Chill wrote:Go to Notre Dame and don't look back. Congrats!

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Thu May 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Wake has the 36K bigger scholarship. ND has the better Biglaw placement (24% vs. 15%), the better scholly stips, the higher ranking (23 vs. 39), and the stronger brand. Do ND's selling points outweigh the 36K? I say Yes, but I don't see how it's a no-brainer.

Good luck with the decision.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Thu May 05, 2011 5:31 pm

Robespierre wrote:Wake has the 36K bigger scholarship. ND has the better Biglaw placement (24% vs. 15%), the better scholly stips, the higher ranking (23 vs. 39), and the stronger brand. Do ND's selling points outweigh the 36K? I say Yes, but I don't see how it's a no-brainer.

Good luck with the decision.

Any other thoughts ?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu May 05, 2011 6:40 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:It is highly probable that you won't get either DC Biglaw or "politics" coming out of either of those schools. WFU just started a DC 3L externship or something, and ND has a better than average alumni base, but it's unlikely you'll land DC strictly from a numbers perspective.

This. The question becomes, which would you rather be: a ND student looking for gigs in Chicago/the midwest with a decent amount of debt, or a WF student looking for jobs in North Carolina/the south with a smaller amount of debt?

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu May 05, 2011 6:45 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
D-ROCCA wrote:It is highly probable that you won't get either DC Biglaw or "politics" coming out of either of those schools. WFU just started a DC 3L externship or something, and ND has a better than average alumni base, but it's unlikely you'll land DC strictly from a numbers perspective.

This. The question becomes, which would you rather be: a ND student looking for gigs in Chicago/the midwest with a decent amount of debt, or a WF student looking for jobs in North Carolina/the south with a smaller amount of debt?

I'd rather be the latter, but that assumes the worst (highly risk-averse perspective).

OP should be prepared for that difference, but I wouldn't say it boils down to that. He could also end up at bottom of the first quartile going into OCIs, the type of rank that would suffice for an SA at ND but not at Wake.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Thu May 05, 2011 6:52 pm

I seem to be a bit confused. Does ND not offer around 40% of its class with biglaw/clerkship opps?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 05, 2011 6:54 pm

ND is TCR, but pick Wake so I can have your spot

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu May 05, 2011 6:59 pm

SrLaw wrote:I seem to be a bit confused. Does ND not offer around 40% of its class with biglaw/clerkship opps?

In 2007. This is ITE.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu May 05, 2011 7:01 pm

SrLaw wrote:I seem to be a bit confused. Does ND not offer around 40% of its class with biglaw/clerkship opps?

What flcath said. Most recent data puts it closer to 30%, and that's before getting into what fraction of those are in DC.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu May 05, 2011 7:06 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:

What flcath said. Most recent data puts it closer to 30%, and that's before getting into what fraction of those are in DC.

God, just seeing printed references to the days of 40+% Biglaw/Art.3 placement makes it seems surreal. It was only a few years ago, but it feels like I'm looking at antiquity; like when old lawyers will talk about how tuition was $5K/yr. when they went to school.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu May 05, 2011 8:07 pm

flcath wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

God, just seeing printed references to the days of 40+% Biglaw/Art.3 placement makes it seems surreal. It was only a few years ago, but it feels like I'm looking at antiquity; like when old lawyers will talk about how tuition was $5K/yr. when they went to school.

Yeah, but jokes on them, they didn't get starting salaries of $190,000, amiright?

Postby 005618502 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:14 pm

ND is definitely the better choice! congrats

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu May 05, 2011 8:31 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
flcath wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

Yeah, but jokes on them, they didn't get starting salaries of $190,000, amiright?

Yeah. It's starting to resemble a lottery more and more: low odds, big payout.

Weird to click to the Jones Day website and see ND grads from 05-06 who didn't even finish cum laude.

pretzel

Postby pretzel » Thu May 05, 2011 8:39 pm

OP 2 Questions -

1. Are you Catholic?

I don't ask because going to ND if you're not Catholic is a problem (I'm a current 1L at ND and not Catholic - not a problem at all), or that law firm employers will really care. But, if you're interested in a career in Politics and you're not Catholic, you will forever have the fact that you went to a Catholic law school on your resume & in your background. This could be a bonus for some districts, but it could definitely be a detriment for others. Not a big deal, but something to consider if you don't want to be associated in the future with Catholics.

2. Where are you from?

The winters here are harsh. If you're used to a warmer climate (like I am), it's a rough transition.

Neither are huge, just things to consider. I took ND over a larger scholarship at Wake last year and don't regret it at all.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri May 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Sun May 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Shameless bump to see if anyone else has any advice.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Was ND your top school going in? 36k is a lot of money, but its like adding a new car payment onto your law school debt. ( although you will be buying a new 36,000 car every three years, so that analogy isnt good).

I think your choice should come down to the backup options. Would you rather work in the midwest or the southeast ( NC)? Lets take biglaw out of hte picture for a second- which region do you prefer? Where is your family and roots? How important is that in your decision making process? how much other debt do you currently have? how debt averse are you? If you have a ton of debt- that may change things considerbly- but maybe not. Also take a look at where the schools place outside DC- how do you feel about the prospect of living and working there?

For me- id go ND. But im biased in the fact that I am a northerner and I prefer to stay in the North. I you are from the south- then maybe you might lean towards wake.

hope this helps Congrats OP!

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun May 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Law Sauce wrote:I would still have chosen IUB with 40k... (if that was you), but nd is probably the better school

I turned down IUB w/ $120 and did not think twice about it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”