NU vs. UPenn - Made my decision, thanks.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NU or UPenn? (Please read OP)

NU
44%
UPenn
56%

Total votes: 88

Upton Sinclair

NU vs. UPenn - Made my decision, thanks.

Postby Upton Sinclair » Thu May 05, 2011 2:02 pm

I posted this thread as a hypothetical three months ago and really appreciated the responses/advice I received, but today things just got real. I'm hoping for more perspectives. I was accepted to Northwestern a few hours ago. I have one week to make a decision between UPenn and NU. I honestly feel like I'm split 50/50 right now. Please help me out. Relevant information:

* Assume both schools at sticker.
* I'm from Cleveland, and have no desire to come back to Ohio.
* My number 1 goal is a BigLaw job, or a job that pays market.
* Interested in tax/securities law.
* I would rather live and work in Chicago than NYC post graduation (though I wouldn't mind NYC, and I have many friends in both Chicago and NYC.
* I visited both schools and cities, and really liked them both. I could see spending 3 years in either.

I plan on doing my research over the next few days, but any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much to everyone ahead of time.
Last edited by Upton Sinclair on Mon May 09, 2011 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

ahduth

Re: Huge decision, not much time. NU vs. UPenn

Postby ahduth » Thu May 05, 2011 2:15 pm

I think it'll be easier for you to get Chicago big law out of NU, and NYC biglaw out of Penn? If that's the deciding factor then... ya.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Thu May 05, 2011 2:19 pm

ahduth wrote:I think it'll be easier for you to get Chicago big law out of NU, and NYC biglaw out of Penn? If that's the deciding factor then... ya.

Yeah, but will I be hurting my chances at BigLaw overall if I went with NU? I think that's pretty much the root of the issue.

Upton Sinclair

Re: NU vs. UPenn

Postby Upton Sinclair » Thu May 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Anyone that voted care to weigh in with why? Thanks again.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu May 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:Anyone that voted care to weigh in with why? Thanks again.

I voted NU because go Wildcats. But have you tried this method of deciding?

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu May 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Bumi wrote:

I have got to try this sometime.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Thu May 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Bumi wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:Anyone that voted care to weigh in with why? Thanks again.

I voted NU because go Wildcats. But have you tried this method of deciding?

That's pretty cool.

I think part of what makes this so hard is that I had no business getting into Penn, so it feels like I shouldn't turn it down.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Chicago or NYC ?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu May 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:That's pretty cool.

I think part of what makes this so hard is that I had no business getting into Penn, so it feels like I shouldn't turn it down.

I'm going to start posting it in all of these threads.

Looks like the poll is going to shape up to be a close win for Penn, which is legitimate. But the closeness of the results should indicate to you that you don't HAVE to take the Penn offer - some TLS posters might think that, but it's far from consensus. So carefully consider what you want and what you care about before you decide. Choose Penn because of what it gets you and the experience you'll have there, not because you think you have to.

No srsly come to NU, it'll be awesome, who cares about jobs when you could be in Chicago

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:55 pm

Are both at sticker?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu May 05, 2011 4:57 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
ahduth wrote:I think it'll be easier for you to get Chicago big law out of NU, and NYC biglaw out of Penn? If that's the deciding factor then... ya.

Yeah, but will I be hurting my chances at BigLaw overall if I went with NU? I think that's pretty much the root of the issue.

i don't think so? in past years NU has blown everyone out of the water (minus columbia maybe) for biglaw stats. you really can't go wrong with either

bfaiken

Postby bfaiken » Thu May 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Flips88 wrote:Are both at sticker?

What gave it away? The first bullet point that says, "Assume both schools at sticker?"

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Thu May 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Yeah, the email said no scholly $ available.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu May 05, 2011 5:07 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote: i don't think so? in past years NU has blown everyone out of the water (minus columbia maybe) for biglaw stats.

Yeah, but you know what they say about NU's employment stats. They are inflated because most NU grads were super awesome before they even get to campus.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu May 05, 2011 5:08 pm

bfaiken wrote:

What gave it away? The first bullet point that says, "Assume both schools at sticker?"

hey there, i bet you're a fun one

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Thu May 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Bumi wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote: i don't think so? in past years NU has blown everyone out of the water (minus columbia maybe) for biglaw stats.

Yeah, but you know what they say about NU's employment stats. They are inflated because most NU grads were super awesome before they even get to campus.

This is something else that worries me. My work experience pales in comparison, I'm sure. I don't want that to hurt me at OCI.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu May 05, 2011 5:12 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
Bumi wrote:Yeah, but you know what they say about NU's employment stats. They are inflated because most NU grads were super awesome before they even get to campus.

This is something else that worries me. My work experience pales in comparison, I'm sure. I don't want that to hurt me at OCI.

Pssh, I was mostly kidding. I have no idea if it's a real thing.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
Bumi wrote:

I've had this concern too a bit. I'm only 1 year out of UG and the three things I've done for work in that time aren't terribly impressive. I honestly don't think it will hurt much if at all for OCI. If you were good enough to get into Northwestern, then your resume should at least be pretty good.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Thu May 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks for all the responses so far. Anyone pro-Penn care to explain why?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Probably because they are on NU's waitlist.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu May 05, 2011 5:39 pm

If you don't have Chicago ties and prefer Chicago to NYC, go to NU. Given your background, it will be much easier to get Chicago biglaw out of NU than Penn. At the same time, NU doesn't exclude you from NYC either if you change your mind.

They're both great schools, and I honestly suspect people on this board may be voting for Penn because you're looking at Top 10 school vs. non Top 10 school. If you had no Chicago preference or if you had ties I would honestly probably vote Penn given a lack of a a strong preference for either school. However, I do think NU is a better fit for you here.

(Plus, let's be honest, NU's law school location > Penn's law school location :/ )

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Thu May 05, 2011 5:55 pm

czelede wrote:If you don't have Chicago ties and prefer Chicago to NYC, go to NU. Given your background, it will be much easier to get Chicago biglaw out of NU than Penn. At the same time, NU doesn't exclude you from NYC either if you change your mind.

They're both great schools, and I honestly suspect people on this board may be voting for Penn because you're looking at Top 10 school vs. non Top 10 school. If you had no Chicago preference or if you had ties I would honestly probably vote Penn given a lack of a a strong preference for either school. However, I do think NU is a better fit for you here.

(Plus, let's be honest, NU's law school location > Penn's law school location :/ )

Thanks, this was a really helpful response.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu May 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:Thanks for all the responses so far. Anyone pro-Penn care to explain why?

Better for biglaw over all if that is more important to you than biglaw in chicago.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Fri May 06, 2011 9:05 am

Anyone have links for NLJ stats for the past few years? I'm swamped at work or I'd go searching. TYIA.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri May 06, 2011 9:29 am

NLJ 250 Stats

Year; NU; Penn -- Margin of placement
2007; 73.5%; 69% -- NU +4.5%
2008;62.9%;67.7% -- Penn +4.8%
2009;55.9%;50.8% -- NU +5.1%
2010;44.4%;53.3% -- Penn +8.9%

Over the past 4 years Penn and Northwestern have alternated spots in NLJ 250 placement.

I think the real reason that people think Penn has much better biglaw placement is that the very top NYC firms tend to recruit more heavily from Penn than from NU. Wachtell interviews and hires at Penn, but doesn't come to NU OCI.

If those are jobs that you don't care about and you would rather work in Chicago, come to NU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”