WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Aiming for DC/NY firms: WUSTL($) or GW?

WUSTL
30
49%
GW
31
51%
 
Total votes: 61

primetime2131
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 am

WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby primetime2131 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:23 am

So WUSTL is offering me 20k a year while GW is at sticker.

1. I want to work either:
Big Law or medium law firms in DC or NYC or Gov’t in DC.
Interests in IP/Family/Employment & Labor but haven’t decided…

2. I am from DC, so the option to live at home is there. Also, cost of living should be decent because I do have connections for inexpensive places to live in the city in the event I choose to live on my own.

3. I have a 3L buddy from DC who attends WUSTL and describes the tremendous difficulty locking up a job here (DC). He wasn’t very enthusiastic about promoting his own school. His conclusion was that it was a toss-up.

4. I would be miserable staying in the Midwest after graduation (w/ the sole exception of Chicago, which from what I’ve researched isn’t as much of a guarantee for WUSTL grads as it may seem). The east coast is where I belong.

I have been getting mixed opinions and most ppl come to the conclusion that no choice is significantly more appealing than the other. I have to decide soon, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by primetime2131 on Thu May 05, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: WUSTL ($$) or GW (sticker)

Postby aaaaaah » Thu May 05, 2011 12:08 pm

I generally don't think GW @ sticker is a good idea, but if you're really against being in the midwest, I'd say GW. Plus it's not really a $60k difference when you factor in COL. How much would you really be saving by going to WUSTL? $30k? Given your regional preferences, I don't think it's worth it.

primetime2131
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 am

Re: WUSTL ($$) or GW (sticker)

Postby primetime2131 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:19 pm

aaaaaah wrote:I generally don't think GW @ sticker is a good idea, but if you're really against being in the midwest, I'd say GW. Plus it's not really a $60k difference when you factor in COL. How much would you really be saving by going to WUSTL? $30k? Given your regional preferences, I don't think it's worth it.


Right...but that 30k diff is under the assumption that I am definitely going to live at home all 3 years if I go to GW (right?), which I can’t necessarily promise that I'm going to do. I can, however promise that I won’t be paying 900+ in rent like some of the students who move to DC from other cities.

With that consideration aside, I do see what you mean about being against staying in the Midwest as a major deterrence...regional preferences are important outside of the T-14.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Jeedub is not worth sticker. Further, you can't expect biglaw from either.

User avatar
enron123
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby enron123 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:30 pm

If you care enough about staying in DC as your preferences imply you should resign yourself to living at home. Otherwise the gap in cost is really too much (as always depending on your financial situation (if your family is wealthy go to GW and get an awesome apartment in Foggy Bottom).

The right decision if cost is an issue and you won't be living at home is WUSTL in my opinion. I also look at DC NYC markets as scary targets considering they are gunning spots T14s and a host of others who did well in lower ranked programs.

I made a similar decision (about 60k difference) FWIW

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby thexfactor » Thu May 05, 2011 2:52 pm

It s more than 20k. STL is a lot cheaper than DC. Prob 5k cheaper per year which brings the total to 75k over 3 years.
75k is a lot of money put on just location. Biglaw placement is about the same.
I rarely recommend WUSTL, but if it's between these two schools, I would take WUSTL. I think wustl has a DC clinic that might help your placement situation.

primetime2131
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 am

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby primetime2131 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:58 pm

thexfactor wrote:Biglaw placement is about the same.
I rarely recommend WUSTL, but if it's between these two schools, I would take WUSTL. I think wustl has a DC clinic that might help your placement situation.


*Same for their respective regions.

If I went the WUSTL route and was fortunate to find biglaw placement, which is not easy to do for any non T14 (we ALL know that), it would be somewhat limited to the midwest, largely the state of Missouri. Thats my issue.

The clinic from what ive spoken to current WUSTL students about is mainly for government. Appealing, yes. But GW students will usually get those first.

I do agree with the COL, though. I currently live solo in the city and Im fully aware of the expenses that presents. If I continue to live solo, whatever I save from living close to family (food, basic essentials, etc.), I will eventually spend on city life.

primetime2131
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 am

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby primetime2131 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Also, whats up with the poll being dead even but little written support for the GW route? lol

primetime2131
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 am

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby primetime2131 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Bump.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby keg411 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:06 pm

You want to go to GW, so go to GW. You are basically just looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby justhockey31 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:09 pm

keg411 wrote:You want to go to GW, so go to GW. You are basically just looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear.


Have to say I agree with this statement...ppl have been giving you solid advice about choosing WUSTL over GW but of course it is ur decision and not ours.

primetime2131
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 am

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby primetime2131 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:28 am

justhockey31 wrote:
keg411 wrote:You want to go to GW, so go to GW. You are basically just looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear.


Have to say I agree with this statement...ppl have been giving you solid advice about choosing WUSTL over GW but of course it is ur decision and not ours.


Haha...Well I def have my leaning-towards-GW days...but I'm honestly stuck. I certainly appreciate all the advice I've been getting here so far though.

Case2L
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:05 pm

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby Case2L » Tue May 10, 2011 11:41 am

Is George Mason not an option? I would assume that GMU > WUSTL for DC, and GMU with $ and/or in-state is a more financially sound decision than GW @ sticker.

primetime2131
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 am

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby primetime2131 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:48 am

Good point Case, but Mason is not an option in my case because I didnt apply. The only other DC area schools I applied to were American (in w/sticker), GULC (dinged) and UVA (WL).

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby fl0w » Tue May 10, 2011 11:53 am

I voted for WUSTL
Let me qualify, I am a rising 2L @ WUSTL.

Someone posted about the DC clinic. Do that and it puts you right in DC. I mean shoot you can't really ask for more. Most of the people I know that have done the DC clinic and wanted to get a job in DC did so.

Also your comment about only being able to get biglaw in Missouri out of WUSTL is just incorrect. This summer from any firm jobs acquired for 1L summer were by people who were connecting with their home market. For example someone from Dallas did some Dallas networking over winter and spring break and got a summer associate.

Firm jobs your 1L summer are rare for several reasons. Grades are not enough any more. There are people in the top 10 (TOP TEN not top 10%) that gut shut down at OCI because while they had amazing grades, they just weren't that great in interviews.

Being at GW keeps you in the market and makes it easier to network the entire year. But you are from DC, so you could do that networking over breaks or periodic trips home.

My story is I'm from Chicago, had been planning to find something there but ended up securing a summer clerkship w/ a district judge in the N.D. Cal. Your job search, in part, is going to give you what you put into it. I know everyone tosses the "networking" idea around, but seriously ITE if you are not networking, you are likely not going to get anything.

Take the money, network, and return home.
Alternatively, don't go to law school.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Sounds like you want to be in D.C. and you want to go to GW, so you should go to GW. GW at sticker is scary (as is 100k+ from WUSTL), but I agree with keg; it sounds like that's where you want to go and that's what you want to hear. I'd take WUSTL personally, but with your total aversion to all things Midwestern, you should just stay in D.C.

Honestly, your best option is probably a re-take if you want a good shot at D.C. and want to avoid going into massive debt for that opportunity.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby bk1 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:Sounds like you want to be in D.C. and you want to go to GW, so you should go to GW. GW at sticker is scary (as is 100k+ from WUSTL), but I agree with keg; it sounds like that's where you want to go and that's what you want to hear. I'd take WUSTL personally, but with your total aversion to all things Midwestern, you should just stay in D.C.

Honestly, your best option is probably a re-take if you want a good shot at D.C. and want to avoid going into massive debt for that opportunity.


+1 to all of this.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 11, 2011 1:10 pm

primetime3121 wrote:I agree about my preference showing, because if all things were equal I would take GW. However, all things arent equal. I have to make a calculated decision and thats why I've come to TLS to analyze my situation! Romo, you seem to provide a lot of valuable information about WUSTL in your previous posts, so I value your opinion. Instead of going with my (apparently obvious) bias for my hometown, can you present why you believe WUSTL would be a better choice?

Thanks again for the input folks.

Well, there's no doubt that GW is better for D.C., but D.C. is a bloodbath for just about everyone. It is really one of the toughest (if not the toughest) markets to break into. Getting it from WUSTL wouldn't be easy, but we do have the D.C. clinic, which would allow you to go back there and make some connections.

The best thing about the WUSTL option would be cost. It would be cheaper to go to WUSTL, especially if you didn't live at home in D.C. The difference in COL each year is probably a good 5-10k between St. Louis and D.C, and you've also got the 20k scholarship. It is a lot cheaper to live here. WUSTL is also a great place to be and I've enjoyed my year here, and I think almost all the other 1Ls (especially the TLS regulars) would say the same. Also, the midwest really isn't that bad, especially Chicago. Why do you have such an aversion to it?

Other than that, GW is the better school for biglaw and it is much better for D.C., so it is just hard for me to advise WUSTL over GW in this situation. Both schools are going to cost you a lot, so you might as well go to the one that will better align with your career goals.

primetime2131
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 am

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby primetime2131 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:41 pm

I see.

To be honest, its not so much an aversion for the midwest, its more of a strong affinity for the east coast. Specifically, DC and NY, two cities I am very familiar with and have always desired to work in. However, Chicago is very attractive. I would love to end up there. Its just oversaturated with so. many. other. law schools. :shock:

Just for the record, I visited WUSTL and loved it. I could easily spend three years there. Its post-school life im worried about.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby justhockey31 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:45 pm

primetime2131 wrote:I see.

To be honest, its not so much an aversion for the midwest, its more of a strong affinity for the east coast. Specifically, DC and NY, two cities I am very familiar with and have always desired to work in. However, Chicago is very attractive. I would love to end up there. Its just oversaturated with so. many. other. law schools. :shock:

Just for the record, I visited WUSTL and loved it. I could easily spend three years there. Its post-school life im worried about.


And DC isn't? DC is definitely MORE oversaturated than Chicago.

primetime2131
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 am

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby primetime2131 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:52 pm

justhockey31 wrote:
primetime2131 wrote:I see.

To be honest, its not so much an aversion for the midwest, its more of a strong affinity for the east coast. Specifically, DC and NY, two cities I am very familiar with and have always desired to work in. However, Chicago is very attractive. I would love to end up there. Its just oversaturated with so. many. other. law schools. :shock:

Just for the record, I visited WUSTL and loved it. I could easily spend three years there. Its post-school life im worried about.


And DC isn't? DC is definitely MORE oversaturated than Chicago.


Agreed. DC is more oversaturated. But which school can give me the better chance in those respective markets?

primetime2131
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 am

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby primetime2131 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Thats a legitamite, objective question, btw. What do you guys think?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby bk1 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:55 pm

primetime2131 wrote:Thats a legitamite, objective question, btw. What do you guys think?


The difference is marginal, imo. Sure GW will have an edge in DC versus WUSTL in Chi, but it is nothing to write home about.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby justhockey31 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:14 pm

The way I would look at is is this:
*"Home Market" = Tie (GW - DC / WUSTL - Chicago_
*"Opposite Market" = WUSTL (WUSTL has the DC Clinic / GW will not get you to Chicago)
* Cost = WUSTL (Scholarship + lower COL)

There are obviously a lot of other factors to consider but if you could see yourself in Chicago or are willing to work for DC, then it seems that WUSTL is the choice

primetime2131
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 am

Re: WUSTL ($) or GW (sticker)

Postby primetime2131 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:34 am

Very True.

What about NYC? Is it true that WUSTL is aiming to build a clinic out there as well?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger and 5 guests