Indiana University - Bloomington (120k) vs. Notre Dame (36k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Indiana University - Bloomington (120k) vs. Notre Dame (36k)

Indiana University - Bloomington (120k)
68%
Notre Dame (36k)
32%

Total votes: 44

amp

New

Indiana University - Bloomington (120k) vs. Notre Dame (36k)

Post by amp » Wed May 04, 2011 10:35 pm

Just realized not everything posted...

I was just accepted (off of the waitlist) to Notre Dame and I need to decide VERY SOON if it is a better choice than my current one, Indiana University - Bloomington. While I don't know exactly what I want to do, I do know that I would ULTIMATELY like to live in the northeast.

Would Notre Dame be worth the extra 70K in debt?

(Any advice would be greatly appreciated!)
Last edited by amp on Thu May 05, 2011 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bumi

Silver

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington (120k) vs. Notre Dame (12k)

Post by Bumi » Wed May 04, 2011 11:08 pm

I think I'm supposed to ask what you want to do and where you want to live, but I can only think of very specific and exotic scenarios that would make Notre Dame the right choice in this scenario.

Law Sauce

Silver

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington (120k) vs. Notre Dame (36k)

Post by Law Sauce » Thu May 05, 2011 10:17 am

There just not enough difference to take nd. IU easily.

lawyeriA

New

Post by lawyeriA » Sat May 07, 2011 8:07 pm

With a full ride it seems you're just able to be more flexible and really take your time making it back to the northeast since you don't have to worry about paying loans back right away.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat May 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Your decision is a dificult one simply because while ND is not worth the extra 70k, but if you are sure you want to go to the northeast it will be much more difficult with an IU versus an ND degree (Not easy with ND, but they definitely place better over there). Did you apply to any NE schools like BU, BC, Fordham, etc?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:53 pm

IUB simply cuz of the money. Don't expect Northeast from either one though.

Jspain

New

Post by Jspain » Sun May 08, 2011 3:04 am

I'd check out your IUB scholarship and ask what the average GPA is at the end of 1L year. There are a LOT of students at IUB who have accepted the 140k and it may be harder to hang on to than what you think. Check out this article if you want, of course you could run into the same issue at ND...http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... =cse&scp=1

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sun May 08, 2011 4:15 am

Jspain wrote:I'd check out your IUB scholarship and ask what the average GPA is at the end of 1L year. There are a LOT of students at IUB who have accepted the 140k and it may be harder to hang on to than what you think. Check out this article if you want, of course you could run into the same issue at ND...http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... =cse&scp=1

???? The IUb 120k wasnt contingent on a GPA but rather satisfactory progress aka as long as you don't fail out of school, and in that case you wouldn't need to worry about your scholarship because you are gone.

Jspain

New

Post by Jspain » Sun May 08, 2011 4:17 am

Sandro wrote:
Jspain wrote:I'd check out your IUB scholarship and ask what the average GPA is at the end of 1L year. There are a LOT of students at IUB who have accepted the 140k and it may be harder to hang on to than what you think. Check out this article if you want, of course you could run into the same issue at ND...http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... =cse&scp=1

???? The IUb 120k wasnt contingent on a GPA but rather satisfactory progress aka as long as you don't fail out of school, and in that case you wouldn't need to worry about your scholarship because you are gone.
Hey, if this is the case then problem solved. IUB all the way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TarHeel11

New

Post by TarHeel11 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:39 am

IUB doesn't have a lot of portability outside the Midwest. If you absolutely know that you want to work in the NE, I think the extra costs at ND would be worth it.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun May 08, 2011 9:55 am

TarHeel11 wrote:IUB doesn't have a lot of portability outside the Midwest. If you absolutely know that you want to work in the NE, I think the extra costs at ND would be worth it.
But ND won't get you to the NE either. So I would go to the cheaper one. If you want the NE, you should have really looked into BC/BU/Fordham.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun May 08, 2011 10:42 am

Blindmelon wrote:
TarHeel11 wrote:IUB doesn't have a lot of portability outside the Midwest. If you absolutely know that you want to work in the NE, I think the extra costs at ND would be worth it.
But ND won't get you to the NE either. So I would go to the cheaper one. If you want the NE, you should have really looked into BC/BU/Fordham.
ND actually places in NY. Not well by any means, but they have a shot and have some NY firms at their OCI. IuB has none and basically no shot without connections. I agree however that if you want NE you should really be applying to Fordham, BU and BC since ND accepted you with a scholly.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun May 08, 2011 11:44 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
ND actually places in NY. Not well by any means, but they have a shot and have some NY firms at their OCI. IuB has none and basically no shot without connections. I agree however that if you want NE you should really be applying to Fordham, BU and BC since ND accepted you with a scholly.
I'm unsure if it would be better for NYC than IUB, especially since IUB is so much cheaper. Slightly better chance at NYC worth all that $? Probably not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun May 08, 2011 11:56 am

Blindmelon wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
I'm unsure if it would be better for NYC than IUB, especially since IUB is so much cheaper. Slightly better chance at NYC worth all that $? Probably not.
My point is if OP says he wants NE no matter what, IuB simply wont get them there. I definitely think IuB is the better financial decision, but if you absolutely despise the midwest you really can't go to IuB.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun May 08, 2011 12:28 pm

OP if you really want the Northeast and dont want to spend 5-10 years after law school in either region where the two choices place- then I would say the best bet would be to sit this cycle out and apply to schools in the Northeast. I know thats not a choice that you have, but I think its more imporant to go to a school in the region you want to work in rather than take the big scholarship now- and hope that it all works out. If you are willing to stay in that region for a little bit- then I would go to IUB- as your debts will be minimal, and you can go to the Northeast quicker ( you can get some experience in the region- then you have more job oppotunities in the Northeast b/c you dont have to worry about paying off that extra 70+K in debt). However, before you committ to either school, take a trip to check out both the school, and the surrounding areas and see if you would be able and willing to stay for a few years afterwords. if one of the schools hits you better than the other- then go there. If neither school hits you, then I would suggest to apply early to as many schools in the NE ( in the specific states that you are considering) and go to the best option in the fall of 2012)

Congrats! and best of luck with the decision.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Sun May 08, 2011 3:42 pm

northwood wrote:OP if you really want the Northeast and dont want to spend 5-10 years after law school in either region where the two choices place- then I would say the best bet would be to sit this cycle out and apply to schools in the Northeast. I know thats not a choice that you have, but I think its more imporant to go to a school in the region you want to work in rather than take the big scholarship now- and hope that it all works out. If you are willing to stay in that region for a little bit- then I would go to IUB- as your debts will be minimal, and you can go to the Northeast quicker ( you can get some experience in the region- then you have more job oppotunities in the Northeast b/c you dont have to worry about paying off that extra 70+K in debt). However, before you committ to either school, take a trip to check out both the school, and the surrounding areas and see if you would be able and willing to stay for a few years afterwords. if one of the schools hits you better than the other- then go there. If neither school hits you, then I would suggest to apply early to as many schools in the NE ( in the specific states that you are considering) and go to the best option in the fall of 2012)

Congrats! and best of luck with the decision.
Well said. And love the dog in your tar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”