WUSTL $$ vs. Berkeley sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
srilina

New

WUSTL $$ vs. Berkeley sticker

Post by srilina » Tue May 03, 2011 11:30 pm

The dilemma: WUSTL is giving me 69k total. Berkeley has been a dream school; I'm from the west coast so it's something of a holy grail. I'm also not 100% set on a location post-grad although I would like big-law (debating IP, International law or corporate law, but who knows).

Thoughts?

blackandyellow

New

Re: WUSTL $$ vs. Berkeley sticker

Post by blackandyellow » Tue May 03, 2011 11:33 pm

Go to UCB. WUSTL isn't giving you enough money. Enjoy sunny California.

UCB's biglaw/midlaw placement is a lot better than WUSTL. Prob 2x better. Not to mention better location and quality of biglaw firms.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Wed May 04, 2011 3:05 am

Boalt by a mile.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed May 04, 2011 3:14 am

Boalt is a very clear winner.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:14 am

Unequivocally Boalt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Wed May 04, 2011 3:59 am

I'm sorry to threat hijack here especially since I am only being hypothetical (it does look as though you have a clear answer anyways) but I have been wondering what I would do in this same situation... but slightly different. I will be applying for an MSW/JD program at both of these schools. At WUSTL it would only take 3 years to complete (I would be taking classes in the summer from what I believe) but at Berkeley it would take 4 years. Should finishing a year early play an important role in my decision making? UT would also allow me to finish in 3 years would they be good enough to trump Bizerkeley? I am a CA native and would most likely like to stay here or in the region although I have no ties and have been known to have a gypsy soul.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed May 04, 2011 4:13 am

JDndMSW wrote:I'm sorry to threat hijack here especially since I am only being hypothetical (it does look as though you have a clear answer anyways) but I have been wondering what I would do in this same situation... but slightly different. I will be applying for an MSW/JD program at both of these schools. At WUSTL it would only take 3 years to complete (I would be taking classes in the summer from what I believe) but at Berkeley it would take 4 years. Should finishing a year early play an important role in my decision making? UT would also allow me to finish in 3 years would they be good enough to trump Bizerkeley? I am a CA native and would most likely like to stay here or in the region although I have no ties and have been known to have a gypsy soul.
Is there anything you can do with a JD/MSW that you can't do with a JD?

I think that, if you didn't get into Boalt, then do a JD/MSW elsewhere.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed May 04, 2011 4:51 am

JDndMSW wrote:I'm sorry to threat hijack here especially since I am only being hypothetical (it does look as though you have a clear answer anyways) but I have been wondering what I would do in this same situation... but slightly different. I will be applying for an MSW/JD program at both of these schools. At WUSTL it would only take 3 years to complete (I would be taking classes in the summer from what I believe) but at Berkeley it would take 4 years. Should finishing a year early play an important role in my decision making? UT would also allow me to finish in 3 years would they be good enough to trump Bizerkeley? I am a CA native and would most likely like to stay here or in the region although I have no ties and have been known to have a gypsy soul.
You find legal jobs through internships, mostly in the summer. Giving up one or more summers means giving that up. Pick the 4 year program if that's what you really want to do.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed May 04, 2011 5:09 am

Berkeley. WUSTTTL has horrible placement. Don't be fooled by their US News ranking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Wed May 04, 2011 5:13 am

glewz wrote:
Is there anything you can do with a JD/MSW that you can't do with a JD?
Not really, the reason I was first considering getting my MSW was because of my BSW I will have what is considered "advanced standing" and therefore will be eligible to obtain my degree in half of the time as a tradition MSW student. Schools that allow me to do this as well as allow overlap in law/sw classes just seemed like an easy way to have an extra bump in hiring with PI as well as be somewhat of a soft factor or make my app stand out a bit more... I have become torn as of now just because the process will be VERY time consuming. You have to apply to each program separately and their apps and processes are very different, plus I have to take the GRE, not to mention the app costs... I am thinking about only doing this now if I get into WUSTL and UT or possibly just waiting to see what is the best school that I can get into, seeing if they offer the joint degree and THEN applying... I think with most MSW programs it is ok to apply up until the last minute which is usually Feb.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 04, 2011 9:09 am

UCal-Berkeley is the better option, in my opinion, due to superior opportunities & prestige.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Wed May 04, 2011 11:00 am

to OP ... got to Berkeley and don't think twice about it.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed May 04, 2011 11:44 am

Berks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Wed May 04, 2011 11:53 am

Berk, no doubt.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Umm, UCLA/USC?

Have you seen WUSTL's biglaw placement stats?

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Wed May 04, 2011 1:02 pm

JDndMSW wrote: Not really, the reason I was first considering getting my MSW was because of my BSW I will have what is considered "advanced standing" and therefore will be eligible to obtain my degree in half of the time as a tradition MSW student. Schools that allow me to do this as well as allow overlap in law/sw classes just seemed like an easy way to have an extra bump in hiring with PI as well as be somewhat of a soft factor or make my app stand out a bit more... I have become torn as of now just because the process will be VERY time consuming. You have to apply to each program separately and their apps and processes are very different, plus I have to take the GRE, not to mention the app costs... I am thinking about only doing this now if I get into WUSTL and UT or possibly just waiting to see what is the best school that I can get into, seeing if they offer the joint degree and THEN applying... I think with most MSW programs it is ok to apply up until the last minute which is usually Feb.
Before you commit extra time and money to this, I would talk to some PI lawyers about whether it actually will provide a bump. They may not feel it adds any value.

srilina

New

Post by srilina » Sat May 14, 2011 12:21 am

Thanks for the responses guys. The biggest issue for me is the specter of 200k+ of loans...still a smart investment or is that just wishful thinking? (WUSTL is closer to 110k b/c of my scholarship)

jonas

Bronze

Post by jonas » Sat May 14, 2011 2:20 pm

srilina wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. The biggest issue for me is the specter of 200k+ of loans...still a smart investment or is that just wishful thinking? (WUSTL is closer to 110k b/c of my scholarship)
Still a smart investment. If it were Berkeley at full price versus, say, Texas with $100k scholarship, that'd be a closer question. But this is an easy call.

Berkeley's LRAP is terrific, in case you go the PI/govt route. And its big law placement and the portability of the degree are both strong enough to outweigh the WUSTL scholarship.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”