Loyola vs Pepperdine (again)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Loyola 87K (1/3 stip) vs Pepperdine Full Ride (1/3 stip)

Loyola 87K (1/3 stip
24%
Pepperdine Full Ride (1/3 stip)
76%

Total votes: 17

JD=Doctor

Loyola vs Pepperdine (again)

Postby JD=Doctor » Tue May 03, 2011 10:29 pm

Still waiting on UCLA

But needing to commit to one of my safeties i leave the floor open for TLS to argue for each side.

Want to end up in LA...Do not know which field of law.

Is loyola's rep enough to merit the 11k a year in debt ect...

I;v also gave a deposite already to Cardozo FUll ride top 80% stip. I love NY but would want to live in LA within 2 years of graduation....

whymeohgodno

Re: Loyola vs Pepperdine (again)

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 1:54 am

I'd do Dozo. Top 1/3rd stip is harsh. Top 80% is easy.

Sean1269

Postby Sean1269 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:17 am

I faced the same choice, couldn't be happier with Pepp. It doesn't breed the conservative atmosphere that it's often given and from what I can tell, nearly all 1Ls have jobs for the summer, the ones who don't just never looked. Good luck!

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri May 06, 2011 3:24 am

Top third is pretty bad. Go to Cardozo.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri May 06, 2011 8:37 am

Can you leverage Pepp's scholly to get Loyola to at least drop the stipulations to a 3.0? Honestly while a 3.0 isn't a great stipulation taking any stip higher than that is basically like playing the lottery.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Fri May 06, 2011 9:02 am

look at it this way. If you aren't top 1/3 after your first year, you should drop out. The law schools might actually be saving you time and money!
The placement rate for biglaw/midlaw is bad at both schools. 10%. I would take fordham or emory/wustl/bc/bu for half over pepperdine at full. Those schools will double your chances.

I would do UCLA sticker over pepperdine at full. 3.5x the placement rate of pepperdine. Even if you do get a degree for free, you wouldnt be able to use it given how many lawyers there are in southern california. Free isn't actually free.... You have to waste 3 years of your time and put in numerous hours of blood sweat and tears. Don't sell your future short.

Sean1269

Postby Sean1269 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:36 am

I cannot speak for LMU, but if you are looking for biglaw pepp is not likely the place to be. There is more to the 10% that go to biglaw than meets the eye though. The atmosphere at pepp is not geared towards biglaw, most students don't want it. The attitude is more towards public interest, which do not be fooled, is hard to get (most of the time). So culture of a school can and should play a big role, because it the culture of the school will be present in the CDO, professors and alumni, so it can play a big role in your jobs after graduation. [quote="thexfactor"]look at it this way. If you aren't top 1/3 after your first year, you should drop out. The law schools might actually be saving you time and money!
The placement rate for biglaw/midlaw is bad at both schools. 10%. I would take fordham or emory/wustl/bc/bu for half over pepperdine at full. Those schools will double your chances.

The choice you'll face is: debt aversion vs. better prospects. I think the general culture on TLS and most law students lends itself to the latter. I think the former is more important, if you go for free and you don't get the job you want at least you got a free education and had some fun along the way, and you can always keep looking to lateral. If you don't get the job you want ($ wise) and have 150-200K in debt (really 250K+ w/ interest), then frankly, you're SOL.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”