GW sticker vs Rutgers Camden $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW sticker vs Rutgers Camden $$$

GW at sticker
27%
Rutgers Camden w/ $
73%

Total votes: 33

BostonNJ

Re: GW sticker vs Rutgers Camden $$$

Postby BostonNJ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:08 am

danielblack wrote:The only reason to go to GW is if you want to get into patent law. At least that's the only reason I went there. The starting salary I now make, which is solely due to the my engineering background and the GW name (my class rank was only top 20%), more than makes up for the tuition I paid. It kind of sucks, but I am actually living at home just so I can pay off all of my loans by the end of my second year working. No way I could have done that if I had gone to a school like Rutgers Camden.

If you went to Rutgers Camden you wouldn't have had to pay back 200K in debt! For 30k this kid can be out of debt in a year if he's at the top of his class, which is likely with his numbers!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:09 pm

BostonNJ wrote:
danielblack wrote:The only reason to go to GW is if you want to get into patent law. At least that's the only reason I went there. The starting salary I now make, which is solely due to the my engineering background and the GW name (my class rank was only top 20%), more than makes up for the tuition I paid. It kind of sucks, but I am actually living at home just so I can pay off all of my loans by the end of my second year working. No way I could have done that if I had gone to a school like Rutgers Camden.

If you went to Rutgers Camden you wouldn't have had to pay back 200K in debt! For 30k this kid can be out of debt in a year if he's at the top of his class, which is likely with his numbers!

That's not how law school grading and performance on exams works.

Prime12

Postby Prime12 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:28 pm

ok ok, so I just got a phone call from Vandy. I got in from the waitlist :D. They also told me that they can consider me for need based aid, though doubt it'll be any more than what GW is offering me (15k / yr).

So it's GW vs Vandy now. What are everyones' opinions on this? Vandy is obviously a higher ranked school with better reputation but I'm not sure how much actual difference there is. I'd like to stay in relatively close proximity to my family(NJ) if possible, but I'd still go if the difference is big enough.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:58 pm

IIRC, Vandy will do better at getting you back there. Outside of the direct vicinity of GWU, I hear that Vandy will do better at getting you anywhere.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Prime12 wrote:ok ok, so I just got a phone call from Vandy. I got in from the waitlist :D. They also told me that they can consider me for need based aid, though doubt it'll be any more than what GW is offering me (15k / yr).

So it's GW vs Vandy now. What are everyones' opinions on this? Vandy is obviously a higher ranked school with better reputation but I'm not sure how much actual difference there is. I'd like to stay in relatively close proximity to my family(NJ) if possible, but I'd still go if the difference is big enough.

You should update the thread title, OP, and poll to reflect your new option.

Vandy is a definite step up over GW and will probably be comparable in cost due to lower CoA even if you get less $. I definitely think Vandy is worth it (especially because it places well in NYC) unless you really need to be that much closer to your family.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:58 pm

bk1 wrote:
Prime12 wrote:ok ok, so I just got a phone call from Vandy. I got in from the waitlist :D. They also told me that they can consider me for need based aid, though doubt it'll be any more than what GW is offering me (15k / yr).

You should update the thread title, OP, and poll to reflect your new option.

Vandy is a definite step up over GW and will probably be comparable in cost due to lower CoA even if you get less $. I definitely think Vandy is worth it (especially because it places well in NYC) unless you really need to be that much closer to your family.

+1. Start a new poll.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”