UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby fathergoose » Tue May 03, 2011 1:35 pm

UT is kind of like a brand new Chevy Tahoe. It's got a touch of class to it while still being somewhat reasonably priced.

Yale is like a Bugatti or Phantom.

Don't get me wrong, the Tahoe is a fine vehicle but I don't think anyone in the right mind would choose a Tahoe over a Bugatti or Phantom.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby firemed » Tue May 03, 2011 1:48 pm

fathergoose wrote:UT is kind of like a brand new Chevy Tahoe. It's got a touch of class to it while still being somewhat reasonably priced.

Yale is like a Bugatti or Phantom.

Don't get me wrong, the Tahoe is a fine vehicle but I don't think anyone in the right mind would choose a Tahoe over a Bugatti or Phantom.



I could see buying a Tahoe over the Bugatti or Phantom if you had a family. Which actually works as a metaphor: you have something in Texas like a spouse, kids, dying parent, etc then you need to choose UT. If you are young and single though... why the hell would you choose the Tahoe?

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby krad » Tue May 03, 2011 1:55 pm

firemed wrote:
fathergoose wrote:UT is kind of like a brand new Chevy Tahoe. It's got a touch of class to it while still being somewhat reasonably priced.

Yale is like a Bugatti or Phantom.

Don't get me wrong, the Tahoe is a fine vehicle but I don't think anyone in the right mind would choose a Tahoe over a Bugatti or Phantom.



I could see buying a Tahoe over the Bugatti or Phantom if you had a family. Which actually works as a metaphor: you have something in Texas like a spouse, kids, dying parent, etc then you need to choose UT. If you are young and single though... why the hell would you choose the Tahoe?

Haha <3 it you two!

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 03, 2011 2:23 pm

Yale is always TCR (except maybe for the debt averse Ruby or Hamilton winner)

User avatar
krasivaya
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby krasivaya » Tue May 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Hahahaha you all never cease to amuse and amaze me.

Showed her this threat when we woke up. She said you guys "can get pretty mean" but now she's leaning toward Yale, snow and all.

Mission accomplished.

And I'm tlsing off my phone and am too lazy to quote but to whoever said "I want to slap your friend" - I KNOW RIGHT. I'd kill for that cycle. And the 179 and 4.0. Ugh.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm

krasivaya wrote:Hahahaha you all never cease to amuse and amaze me.

Showed her this threat when we woke up. She said you guys "can get pretty mean" but now she's leaning toward Yale, snow and all.

Mission accomplished.

And I'm tlsing off my phone and am too lazy to quote but to whoever said "I want to slap your friend" - I KNOW RIGHT. I'd kill for that cycle. And the 179 and 4.0. Ugh.


i dont think we were THAT mean :P

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby Kretzy » Tue May 03, 2011 2:36 pm

krasivaya wrote:Hahahaha you all never cease to amuse and amaze me.

Showed her this threat when we woke up. She said you guys "can get pretty mean" but now she's leaning toward Yale, snow and all.

Mission accomplished.

And I'm tlsing off my phone and am too lazy to quote but to whoever said "I want to slap your friend" - I KNOW RIGHT. I'd kill for that cycle. And the 179 and 4.0. Ugh.


Yale's smart here; LRAP covers everything non-law related, as long as you're employed (which SLS doesn't, sadly...though there are lots of people here as well who don't want to practice). Texas is safe in the short-run, Yale is safe for a lifetime.

User avatar
krasivaya
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby krasivaya » Tue May 03, 2011 2:47 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
i dont think we were THAT mean :P


This is a nice thread. I should show her one of taxguys, a tls flame is not complete without adequate wtf animal pics.

Kretzy - agreed. I really can't see a jd from Yale being anything but a plus for any position.

New information: the whole reason Texas is in the picture is because she wants to stay with her boyfriend (of six months).

....

dumb girls are dumb.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby krad » Tue May 03, 2011 2:54 pm

krasivaya wrote: New information: the whole reason Texas is in the picture is because she wants to stay with her boyfriend (of six months).

....

dumb girls are dumb.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
There are not enough eye rolls in the world for this.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby scammedhard » Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

krasivaya wrote:New information: the whole reason Texas is in the picture is because she wants to stay with her boyfriend (of six months).

Dump the boyfriend and go to Yale.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby fathergoose » Tue May 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Unless she is married or his last name is Gates or Buffet or Walton, Yale is the easy choice.

First semester is a relationship massacre, I know very few non-married people with the same significant other they had at the beginning of the year.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby glewz » Tue May 03, 2011 3:12 pm

Many people (myself included) turned down full rides from T10 schools...& even full rides at T6 for HYS. Since your friend has no specific regional or occupational goals, s/he should definitely go to Y or S. Preferably S so I could get off Y's WL :)

In all honestly, your friend should go to Yale. Tell him/her to visit.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby Obi-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 03, 2011 3:16 pm

???
The deadline for getting back to Yale was yesterday. And Sunday for Harvard.

Don't wanna call flame but how is this still an issue?

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby firemed » Tue May 03, 2011 3:17 pm

scammedhard wrote:
krasivaya wrote:New information: the whole reason Texas is in the picture is because she wants to stay with her boyfriend (of six months).

Dump the boyfriend and go to Yale.



Or tell the effing boyfriend to come with. He could get a job... he could go to school... he could laze around and just cook her meals and wash her clothes for her. In 3 years he could have himself a sugar mamma. Problem solved.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby firemed » Tue May 03, 2011 3:18 pm

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:???
The deadline for getting back to Yale was yesterday. And Sunday for Harvard.

Don't wanna call flame but how is this still an issue?


Possible to lay down multiple deposits. That was my assumption.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby Obi-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 03, 2011 3:19 pm

firemed wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:???
The deadline for getting back to Yale was yesterday. And Sunday for Harvard.

Don't wanna call flame but how is this still an issue?


Possible to lay down multiple deposits. That was my assumption.


Don't know about H or S, but not at Y.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby glewz » Tue May 03, 2011 3:20 pm

krasivaya wrote:New information: the whole reason Texas is in the picture is because she wants to stay with her boyfriend (of six months).

It has now become your immediate, most urgent duty to ensure that she matriculates to HYS.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby bk1 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:20 pm

6 months? Seriously?

thecynic69
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby thecynic69 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:34 pm

I just feel I should note--even if your friend wakes up, smells the coffee, and realizes that Texas shouldn't be in the running, it doesn't mean Yale is necessarily the right answer. I like Yale, I feel it is right for me, but there are def circumstances where S and H are better. Your friend should spend a little time thinking, trying to get some direction in life. Between HYS, there really isn't a wrong answer, but if a little soul searching gets her the optimal answer, it is worth ignoring her bf for a bit and giving this some thought.

But if she can't figure things out, I think Yale is the best place to end up if you don't have any geographic ties or aim in life.

User avatar
krasivaya
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby krasivaya » Tue May 03, 2011 3:41 pm

firemed wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:???
The deadline for getting back to Yale was yesterday. And Sunday for Harvard.

Don't wanna call flame but how is this still an issue?


Possible to lay down multiple deposits. That was my assumption.


That's what I assumed as well.

Firemed - boyfriend is a sophomore in undergrad. Three year age difference. It's creepy.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue May 03, 2011 3:45 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Straw_Mandible wrote:
bfaiken wrote:You don't turn down Yale - Yale turns down you.


^ TITCR

Also, because of LRAP, it is entirely worth going to Yale over a full ride at any school ranked below t14.



When was there still a t14? Texas is part of that now... :wink:


+1, and no wink. Texas is t-14 now. If you must, please get used to saying t-13. OP's Friend: go to Yale or I will kill OP.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby bhan87 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Yale is worth the investment and more. UT is a great school and your friend would be fine if they went there, but choosing UT over Yale potentially closes a lot of doors (COA clerkships, academia, work at the most prestigious firms, etc). Also, even the very very last person in Yale's class will almost assuredly be fine.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby rundoxierun » Tue May 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Im really starting to think that this board is filled with Yale adcomms.

Stanford fits the criteria of things that OP's friend doesnt hate. The difference between going to Stanford and going to HY is near 0. Everything that seperates the two is just stuff on the margins.

This should be a S vs. UT (full-ride) thread. Not really any need to be pushing Yale here.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby firemed » Tue May 03, 2011 3:54 pm

krasivaya wrote:
firemed wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:???
The deadline for getting back to Yale was yesterday. And Sunday for Harvard.

Don't wanna call flame but how is this still an issue?


Possible to lay down multiple deposits. That was my assumption.


That's what I assumed as well.

Firemed - boyfriend is a sophomore in undergrad. Three year age difference. It's creepy.



I like older women. Nothing wrong with that at all. :wink:

Throwing away the opportunity of your effing life for someone... effing stupid. If this is the right guy for her then he'll move.. it isn't like there aren't colleges there for him to go to. My wife would move across the country and delay her schooling for me to go to any of HYSCCN. Because she knows what an opportunity that would be. Maybe your friend should sit down with her boyfriend and lay out what this really means. If he tells her to go for it, he is the one... if he tells her to stay in Texas... well, vaya con Dios homeboy.
Last edited by firemed on Tue May 03, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Postby bk1 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:56 pm

rundoxierun wrote:Im really starting to think that this board is filled with Yale adcomms.

Stanford fits the criteria of things that OP's friend doesnt hate. The difference between going to Stanford and going to HY is near 0. Everything that seperates the two is just stuff on the margins.

This should be a S vs. UT (full-ride) thread. Not really any need to be pushing Yale here.


I've never bought your argument that A3 percentages are a product of self-selection rather than prestige.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests