UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fathergoose

Silver

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Post by fathergoose » Tue May 03, 2011 1:35 pm

UT is kind of like a brand new Chevy Tahoe. It's got a touch of class to it while still being somewhat reasonably priced.

Yale is like a Bugatti or Phantom.

Don't get me wrong, the Tahoe is a fine vehicle but I don't think anyone in the right mind would choose a Tahoe over a Bugatti or Phantom.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue May 03, 2011 1:48 pm

fathergoose wrote:UT is kind of like a brand new Chevy Tahoe. It's got a touch of class to it while still being somewhat reasonably priced.

Don't get me wrong, the Tahoe is a fine vehicle but I don't think anyone in the right mind would choose a Tahoe over a Bugatti or Phantom.

I could see buying a Tahoe over the Bugatti or Phantom if you had a family. Which actually works as a metaphor: you have something in Texas like a spouse, kids, dying parent, etc then you need to choose UT. If you are young and single though... why the hell would you choose the Tahoe?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue May 03, 2011 1:55 pm

firemed wrote:
fathergoose wrote:UT is kind of like a brand new Chevy Tahoe. It's got a touch of class to it while still being somewhat reasonably priced.

I could see buying a Tahoe over the Bugatti or Phantom if you had a family. Which actually works as a metaphor: you have something in Texas like a spouse, kids, dying parent, etc then you need to choose UT. If you are young and single though... why the hell would you choose the Tahoe?
Haha <3 it you two!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue May 03, 2011 2:23 pm

Yale is always TCR (except maybe for the debt averse Ruby or Hamilton winner)

krasivaya

Bronze

Post by krasivaya » Tue May 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Hahahaha you all never cease to amuse and amaze me.

Showed her this threat when we woke up. She said you guys "can get pretty mean" but now she's leaning toward Yale, snow and all.

Mission accomplished.

And I'm tlsing off my phone and am too lazy to quote but to whoever said "I want to slap your friend" - I KNOW RIGHT. I'd kill for that cycle. And the 179 and 4.0. Ugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm

krasivaya wrote:Hahahaha you all never cease to amuse and amaze me.

Showed her this threat when we woke up. She said you guys "can get pretty mean" but now she's leaning toward Yale, snow and all.

Mission accomplished.

And I'm tlsing off my phone and am too lazy to quote but to whoever said "I want to slap your friend" - I KNOW RIGHT. I'd kill for that cycle. And the 179 and 4.0. Ugh.
i dont think we were THAT mean :P

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue May 03, 2011 2:36 pm

krasivaya wrote:Hahahaha you all never cease to amuse and amaze me.

Mission accomplished.

Yale's smart here; LRAP covers everything non-law related, as long as you're employed (which SLS doesn't, sadly...though there are lots of people here as well who don't want to practice). Texas is safe in the short-run, Yale is safe for a lifetime.

krasivaya

Bronze

Post by krasivaya » Tue May 03, 2011 2:47 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
i dont think we were THAT mean :P
This is a nice thread. I should show her one of taxguys, a tls flame is not complete without adequate wtf animal pics.

Kretzy - agreed. I really can't see a jd from Yale being anything but a plus for any position.

New information: the whole reason Texas is in the picture is because she wants to stay with her boyfriend (of six months).

dumb girls are dumb.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue May 03, 2011 2:54 pm

krasivaya wrote: New information: the whole reason Texas is in the picture is because she wants to stay with her boyfriend (of six months).

dumb girls are dumb.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
There are not enough eye rolls in the world for this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

krasivaya wrote:New information: the whole reason Texas is in the picture is because she wants to stay with her boyfriend (of six months).
Dump the boyfriend and go to Yale.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Tue May 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Unless she is married or his last name is Gates or Buffet or Walton, Yale is the easy choice.

First semester is a relationship massacre, I know very few non-married people with the same significant other they had at the beginning of the year.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue May 03, 2011 3:12 pm

Many people (myself included) turned down full rides from T10 schools...& even full rides at T6 for HYS. Since your friend has no specific regional or occupational goals, s/he should definitely go to Y or S. Preferably S so I could get off Y's WL :)

In all honestly, your friend should go to Yale. Tell him/her to visit.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

New

Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 03, 2011 3:16 pm

???
The deadline for getting back to Yale was yesterday. And Sunday for Harvard.

Don't wanna call flame but how is this still an issue?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue May 03, 2011 3:17 pm

scammedhard wrote:
krasivaya wrote:New information: the whole reason Texas is in the picture is because she wants to stay with her boyfriend (of six months).
Dump the boyfriend and go to Yale.

Or tell the effing boyfriend to come with. He could get a job... he could go to school... he could laze around and just cook her meals and wash her clothes for her. In 3 years he could have himself a sugar mamma. Problem solved.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue May 03, 2011 3:18 pm

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:???

Possible to lay down multiple deposits. That was my assumption.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

New

Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 03, 2011 3:19 pm

firemed wrote:

Don't know about H or S, but not at Y.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue May 03, 2011 3:20 pm

It has now become your immediate, most urgent duty to ensure that she matriculates to HYS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:20 pm

6 months? Seriously?

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:34 pm

I just feel I should note--even if your friend wakes up, smells the coffee, and realizes that Texas shouldn't be in the running, it doesn't mean Yale is necessarily the right answer. I like Yale, I feel it is right for me, but there are def circumstances where S and H are better. Your friend should spend a little time thinking, trying to get some direction in life. Between HYS, there really isn't a wrong answer, but if a little soul searching gets her the optimal answer, it is worth ignoring her bf for a bit and giving this some thought.

But if she can't figure things out, I think Yale is the best place to end up if you don't have any geographic ties or aim in life.

krasivaya

Bronze

Post by krasivaya » Tue May 03, 2011 3:41 pm

firemed wrote:

That's what I assumed as well.

Firemed - boyfriend is a sophomore in undergrad. Three year age difference. It's creepy.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue May 03, 2011 3:45 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Straw_Mandible wrote:
bfaiken wrote:You don't turn down Yale - Yale turns down you.
^ TITCR

Also, because of LRAP, it is entirely worth going to Yale over a full ride at any school ranked below t14.

When was there still a t14? Texas is part of that now... :wink:
+1, and no wink. Texas is t-14 now. If you must, please get used to saying t-13. OP's Friend: go to Yale or I will kill OP.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Yale is worth the investment and more. UT is a great school and your friend would be fine if they went there, but choosing UT over Yale potentially closes a lot of doors (COA clerkships, academia, work at the most prestigious firms, etc). Also, even the very very last person in Yale's class will almost assuredly be fine.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue May 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Im really starting to think that this board is filled with Yale adcomms.

Stanford fits the criteria of things that OP's friend doesnt hate. The difference between going to Stanford and going to HY is near 0. Everything that seperates the two is just stuff on the margins.

This should be a S vs. UT (full-ride) thread. Not really any need to be pushing Yale here.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue May 03, 2011 3:54 pm

krasivaya wrote:
firemed wrote:

That's what I assumed as well.

Firemed - boyfriend is a sophomore in undergrad. Three year age difference. It's creepy.

I like older women. Nothing wrong with that at all. :wink:

Throwing away the opportunity of your effing life for someone... effing stupid. If this is the right guy for her then he'll move.. it isn't like there aren't colleges there for him to go to. My wife would move across the country and delay her schooling for me to go to any of HYSCCN. Because she knows what an opportunity that would be. Maybe your friend should sit down with her boyfriend and lay out what this really means. If he tells her to go for it, he is the one... if he tells her to stay in Texas... well, vaya con Dios homeboy.
Last edited by firemed on Tue May 03, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:56 pm

rundoxierun wrote:Im really starting to think that this board is filled with Yale adcomms.

Stanford fits the criteria of things that OP's friend doesnt hate. The difference between going to Stanford and going to HY is near 0. Everything that seperates the two is just stuff on the margins.

This should be a S vs. UT (full-ride) thread. Not really any need to be pushing Yale here.
I've never bought your argument that A3 percentages are a product of self-selection rather than prestige.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”