UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Obi-Wan Kenobi

New

Re: UT (full-ride) vs. HYS (sticker)?

Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 03, 2011 3:58 pm

rundoxierun wrote:Im really starting to think that this board is filled with Yale adcomms.

Stanford fits the criteria of things that OP's friend doesnt hate. The difference between going to Stanford and going to HY is near 0. Everything that seperates the two is just stuff on the margins.

This should be a S vs. UT (full-ride) thread. Not really any need to be pushing Yale here.
By "criteria" you mean what? Weather?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue May 03, 2011 4:13 pm

bk187 wrote:
rundoxierun wrote:Im really starting to think that this board is filled with Yale adcomms.

Stanford fits the criteria of things that OP's friend doesnt hate. The difference between going to Stanford and going to HY is near 0. Everything that seperates the two is just stuff on the margins.

This should be a S vs. UT (full-ride) thread. Not really any need to be pushing Yale here.
I've never bought your argument that A3 percentages are a product of self-selection rather than prestige.
There is nothing to buy. The difference between S and Y is like 3-5%. thats like 6-9 students. It would be idiotic to consider that a difference. You could argue that the Y and H difference of ~10% is a huge difference but even then you are talking about a difference of only like 18 students when H produces triple digit Art. III clerks (and there are only a certain limited number of desirable Art. III clerkships at the HYS level). Due to the size of H, those additional 18 students would push H from the current 19% rate to a whopping 22%. H is on an entirely different scale from Y.

Betting that your choice of school is going to be the difference in getting an Art. III clerkship or not is ridiculous at the HYS level. To me, the fact that people talk like it is shows one of the huge problems with TLS.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:17 pm

rundoxierun wrote:There is nothing to buy. The difference between S and Y is like 3-5%. thats like 6-9 students. It would be idiotic to consider that a difference. You could argue that the Y and H difference of ~10% is a huge difference but even then you are talking about a difference of only like 18 students when H produces triple digit Art. III clerks (and there are only a certain limited number of desirable Art. III clerkships at the HYS level).

Betting that your choice of school is going to be the difference in getting an Art. III clerkship or not is ridiculous at the HYS level. To me, the fact that people talk like it is shows one of the huge problems with TLS.
I meant in regards to Y v H. Who cares whether H produces more when percentages are what matters. It's like saying GULC produces more NLJ250 lawyers than Northwestern and therefore the difference is smaller.

Y has had a consistent non-marginal advantage over the past decade of recorded data when compared to H. I find it hard to argue that the difference between these two schools in this regard is actually marginal when the data just does not bear this out.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

New

Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 03, 2011 4:19 pm

rundoxierun wrote:
bk187 wrote:

I've never bought your argument that A3 percentages are a product of self-selection rather than prestige.
There is nothing to buy. The difference between S and Y is like 3-5%. thats like 6-9 students. It would be idiotic to consider that a difference. You could argue that the Y and H difference of ~10% is a huge difference but even then you are talking about a difference of only like 18 students when H produces triple digit Art. III clerks (and there are only a certain limited number of desirable Art. III clerkships at the HYS level). Due to the size of H, those additional 18 students would push H from the current 19% rate to a whopping 22%. H is on an entirely different scale from Y.

At the appellate level there's a very big difference:

http://lawclerkaddict2008.blogspot.com/ ... chool.html

Y definitely trumps S for COA clerkships. The difference holds, and I think gets larger, for SCOTUS.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 pm

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

At the appellate level there's a very big difference:

http://lawclerkaddict2008.blogspot.com/ ... chool.html

Y definitely trumps S for COA clerkships. The difference holds, and I think gets larger, for SCOTUS.

OP- make sure you show your friend the difference there between UT and H and Y... H more than triples UT, Y more than doubles.

The fact is that going to HY or S gives you opportunities that literally no other schools can come close to providing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue May 03, 2011 4:25 pm

bk187 wrote:
rundoxierun wrote:There is nothing to buy. The difference between S and Y is like 3-5%. thats like 6-9 students. It would be idiotic to consider that a difference. You could argue that the Y and H difference of ~10% is a huge difference but even then you are talking about a difference of only like 18 students when H produces triple digit Art. III clerks (and there are only a certain limited number of desirable Art. III clerkships at the HYS level).

I meant in regards to Y v H. Who cares whether H produces more when percentages are what matters. It's like saying GULC produces more NLJ250 lawyers than Northwestern and therefore the difference is smaller.

Y has had a consistent non-marginal advantage over the past decade of recorded data when compared to H. I find it hard to argue that the difference between these two schools in this regard is actually marginal when the data just does not bear this out.
Percentages are not the be all, end all when the possible positions are very limited and the two fields are on entirely different scales. For instance, you could flip it and say something like "There are 1000 desirable art. III clerkships per year, Harvard students take 10% while Yale takes 5%"(this is just an example of what numbers can do not an actual point.) In addition, the numbers just arent that big to begin with. Say one year Yale gets 9 less Art. III clerks than last and Harvard gets 9 more. A change that small makes the numbers virtual deadlock.
Last edited by rundoxierun on Tue May 03, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krasivaya

Bronze

Post by krasivaya » Tue May 03, 2011 4:26 pm

This thread is going off topic (and for good reason, totally curious about why Yale so thoroughly conquers HS on this board), buuut I have results.

Apparently she had already withdrew from HYS and deposited at Texas but got second thoughts late last night. She just wanted to know if it was the right decision and is kind of bummed after reading all of your posts. And pissed at me for calling her boyfriend a creeper D:

Her logic:
1) No debt
2) *Boyfriend* / family / friends
3) Afraid to move (never lived outside of Texas)

Probably for the best, if she's so wrapped up in this guy it'll totally get in the way for 1L.

I'd divorce my future husband for HYS, particularly S. Just saying.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 pm

krasivaya wrote:This thread is going off topic (and for good reason, totally curious about why Yale so thoroughly conquers HS on this board), buuut I have results.

Apparently she had already withdrew from HYS and deposited at Texas but got second thoughts late last night. She just wanted to know if it was the right decision and is kind of bummed after reading all of your posts. And pissed at me for calling her boyfriend a creeper D:

Her logic:
1) No debt

Probably for the best, if she's so wrapped up in this guy it'll totally get in the way for 1L.

im all for love :P but 6 months? thats honeymoon stage lol. should have been a near non-factor imo, but then again, that really is just my opinion -- she's entitled to hers

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue May 03, 2011 4:30 pm

krasivaya wrote:This thread is going off topic (and for good reason, totally curious about why Yale so thoroughly conquers HS on this board), buuut I have results.

Her logic:
1) No debt

Um... well, good luck with that.

Seriously, I am sure she will do fine via UT. Just a shame. Oh well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

krasivaya

Bronze

Post by krasivaya » Tue May 03, 2011 4:30 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
im all for love :P but 6 months? thats honeymoon stage lol. should have been a near non-factor imo, but then again, that really is just my opinion -- she's entitled to hers
Her first relationship. I seriously thought I was going to marry my high school boyfriend, had the ring and all. It messes with your head.

All the more reason to get this stuff out of your system when you're fifteen. Sex ruins lives ;)

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue May 03, 2011 4:31 pm

DoubleChecks wrote: im all for love :P but 6 months? thats honeymoon stage lol. should have been a near non-factor imo, but then again, that really is just my opinion -- she's entitled to hers
I couldn't agree more with this :|

Well, best of luck to OP's friend at UT. Good news for those people on the Y WL...

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:44 pm

yale's LRAP basically insures that you don't have to do anything law related, whereas stanford's is probably a bit more generous in terms of pay-out but much more narrow in terms of eligibility.

if you have no idea wtf you want to do, i would think yale is the right answer. if you probably want to do something law related and reaaaally hate the cold, stanford is a possible answer too.

UT is not the right answer unless you're a) so risk averse you can't take any debt ever, even if its a good investment or b) you really just love texas (which happens a lot).

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:48 pm

krasivaya wrote: 3) Afraid to move (never lived outside of Texas)
:?
Last edited by dkt4 on Tue May 03, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Her logic:
1) No debt

fantastic!!!! :lol:

Obi-Wan Kenobi

New

Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 03, 2011 5:19 pm

krasivaya wrote:Hahahaha you all never cease to amuse and amaze me.

Showed her this threat when we woke up. She said you guys "can get pretty mean" but now she's leaning toward Yale, snow and all.

Mission accomplished.

And I'm tlsing off my phone and am too lazy to quote but to whoever said "I want to slap your friend" - I KNOW RIGHT. I'd kill for that cycle. And the 179 and 4.0. Ugh.
She got a 177, not a 179. Don't try to fudge numbers with Obi-Wan.

krasivaya

Bronze

Post by krasivaya » Tue May 03, 2011 5:32 pm

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
krasivaya wrote:Hahahaha you all never cease to amuse and amaze me.

Showed her this threat when we woke up. She said you guys "can get pretty mean" but now she's leaning toward Yale, snow and all.

Mission accomplished.

And I'm tlsing off my phone and am too lazy to quote but to whoever said "I want to slap your friend" - I KNOW RIGHT. I'd kill for that cycle. And the 179 and 4.0. Ugh.
She got a 177, not a 179. Don't try to fudge numbers with Obi-Wan.
Obi-Wan needs a fitting avatar, just saying.

I don't want to know her figures, my numbers already make me feel inadequate.

*sitting in a community college admissions office trying to register for a gpa bump*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”