UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

UCLA ($)
27
55%
Cornell
22
45%
 
Total votes: 49

nepomuk
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:37 am

UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby nepomuk » Tue May 03, 2011 1:19 am

Just when I thought my cycle was over, Cornell threw an acceptance my way. I'm assuming I won't get any money from Cornell and that UCLA would be about 60K cheaper to attend. I'm living in the Bay Area now and I'm pretty sure I would like to practice on the West Coast, but wouldn't mind NYC as an option. I've read previous UCLA v Cornell threads, but I'm curious if the most recent NLJ250 numbers make Cornell a much safer choice. I want to do biglaw, if I can get it.
Last edited by nepomuk on Tue May 03, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 03, 2011 1:41 am

Cornell will have better overall BigLaw placement, especially in NYC. UCLA will have better West Coast placement. If your BigLaw desire outweighs your desire to stay on the left coast, go to Cornell. Otherwise, UCLA

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby koalatriste » Tue May 03, 2011 1:58 am

i passed up $60K at UCLA for Cornell and I regret that decision every day of my life.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:54 am

Stay in LA. Cornell is not worth sticker.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby glewz » Tue May 03, 2011 4:19 am

UCLA is pretty specific to southern California. If you want a decent shot at NYC biglaw, Cornell obviously has solid numbers for the NE region.

If you haven't visited both schools, you definitely should.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue May 03, 2011 4:44 am

Cornell is worth 60k more than UCLA. You will need biglaw to pay off 150k debt from UCLA in a reasonable period of time. If you don't want biglaw and want to do PI/Gov, Cornell's LRAP easily beats UCLA's.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:03 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Cornell is worth 60k more than UCLA. You will need biglaw to pay off 150k debt from UCLA in a reasonable period of time. If you don't want biglaw and want to do PI/Gov, Cornell's LRAP easily beats UCLA's.

This is not true if OP decides to stay in LA.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby bk1 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Take UCLA if you want CA. You can probably take UCLA to NYC if you really want to.

/thread

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Both are great law schools. Attend UCLA if you want to stay in California; matriculate at Cornell for NYC & other East Coast locations.

Read the law school profile on both schools provided on this website (TLS). Cornell's profile is refreshingly honest.

adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby adt231 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:24 pm

koalatriste wrote:i passed up $60K at UCLA for Cornell and I regret that decision every day of my life.


That's depressing. Is this because you are stuck in NY and hate it?

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:30 pm

adt231 wrote:
koalatriste wrote:i passed up $60K at UCLA for Cornell and I regret that decision every day of my life.


That's depressing. Is this because you are stuck in NY and hate it?

No, it's because Cornell simply isn't worth sticker.

83947368
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby 83947368 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:59 pm

.
Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue May 03, 2011 6:02 pm

dpk711 wrote:
adt231 wrote:
koalatriste wrote:i passed up $60K at UCLA for Cornell and I regret that decision every day of my life.


That's depressing. Is this because you are stuck in NY and hate it?

No, it's because Cornell simply isn't worth sticker.

Good job saving him the trouble of answering. Your knowledge of his situation really shines through.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby bk1 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:So UCLA's cheaper here, but I'm worried (applying next cycle) that UCLA with a moderate scholarship still leaves one with markedly less options and just 150k of debt instead of 210k in debt.

Also do no CA firms not do OCI at Cornell? I feel if any do they'd surely want to leave with one or two Cornell grads, esp ones with ties to CA.


150k debt sucks, no doubt. But it still is far and away much better than 210k. My general cutoff is something like 100-120k because that is the range that is repayable in 10 years on a 50k/year salary. Still, if you end up with a low salary, 150k is going to be miles better than 210k (it will just take more than 10 years).

From what I have heard, Cornell does a west cost job fair for west coast firms rather than dragging them out to Manhattan (where I believe their regular OCI takes place).

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue May 03, 2011 6:42 pm

dpk711 wrote:
adt231 wrote:
koalatriste wrote:i passed up $60K at UCLA for Cornell and I regret that decision every day of my life.


That's depressing. Is this because you are stuck in NY and hate it?

No, it's because Cornell simply isn't worth sticker.


I had to lol hard. Keep your uninformed statements to yourself.

I would answer for koalatriste but I don't know how much of his personal situations he would want me to reveal.

Just know it's not placement/job prospects that's making him miserable.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:45 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
adt231 wrote:
koalatriste wrote:i passed up $60K at UCLA for Cornell and I regret that decision every day of my life.


That's depressing. Is this because you are stuck in NY and hate it?

No, it's because Cornell simply isn't worth sticker.


I had to lol hard. Keep your uninformed statements to yourself.

I would answer for koalatriste but I don't know how much of his personal situations he would want me to reveal.

Just know it's not placement/job prospects that's making him miserable.

Placement/job prospects for Cornell is second worst in the T14.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue May 03, 2011 6:48 pm

Placement/job prospects for Cornell is second worst in the T14.


You say this like it's a fact. It's pretty obvious from data that Cornell's placement is right on with schools like Duke/NU/Michigan/Virginia.

Look at placements over the last 7 years. Cornell has outplaced every one of those schools every year except for one.

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby koalatriste » Tue May 03, 2011 6:54 pm

Koala is of the opinion that being miserable anywhere isn't worth any job prospect upgrade (staying neutral on this one between Cornell v. UCLA).

Koala would rather be happy at UCLA than miserable at Yale. That's just Koala, though. Koalas need sunshine.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby glewz » Tue May 03, 2011 6:55 pm

dpk711 wrote:Placement/job prospects for Cornell is second worst in the T14.

not true

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:33 pm

glewz wrote:
dpk711 wrote:Placement/job prospects for Cornell is second worst in the T14.

not true

If this year's NLJ250 numbers are what you are referring to then remember those stats are generally regarded as an anomaly. Everyone knows that Cornell's NLJ250 numbers have fluctuated between 40-45% in the post-recession era. These numbers are only marginally better than those of GULC's.

Curry

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby Curry » Tue May 03, 2011 9:41 pm

dpk711 wrote:
glewz wrote:
dpk711 wrote:Placement/job prospects for Cornell is second worst in the T14.

not true

If this year's NLJ250 numbers are what you are referring to then remember those stats are generally regarded as an anomaly. Everyone knows that Cornell's NLJ250 numbers have fluctuated between 40-45% in the post-recession era. These numbers are only marginally better than those of GULC's.

whymeohgodno wrote:
Placement/job prospects for Cornell is second worst in the T14.


You say this like it's a fact. It's pretty obvious from data that Cornell's placement is right on with schools like Duke/NU/Michigan/Virginia.

Look at placements over the last 7 years. Cornell has outplaced every one of those schools every year except for one.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby glewz » Tue May 03, 2011 10:06 pm

dpk711 wrote:
glewz wrote:
dpk711 wrote:Placement/job prospects for Cornell is second worst in the T14.

not true

If this year's NLJ250 numbers are what you are referring to then remember those stats are generally regarded as an anomaly. Everyone knows that Cornell's NLJ250 numbers have fluctuated between 40-45% in the post-recession era. These numbers are only marginally better than those of GULC's.


Don't think you know what you're talking about. Don't pull #s out of a$$.

60+% in 2007 (rank 6)
60+% in 2008 (rank 7)
42% in 2009 (rank 14)
58% in 2010 (rank 2)

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:16 pm

glewz wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
glewz wrote:
dpk711 wrote:Placement/job prospects for Cornell is second worst in the T14.

not true

If this year's NLJ250 numbers are what you are referring to then remember those stats are generally regarded as an anomaly. Everyone knows that Cornell's NLJ250 numbers have fluctuated between 40-45% in the post-recession era. These numbers are only marginally better than those of GULC's.


Don't think you know what you're talking about. Don't pull #s out of a$$.

60+% in 2007 (rank 6)
60+% in 2008 (rank 7)
42% in 2009 (rank 14)
58% in 2010 (rank 2)

Like I said, Post-recession, which means after 2008. Everyone knows the 58% in 2010 was an anomaly and it is clear that it will be back in the 40s again this year. In fact, the 41.5% placement it saw in 2009 was behind GULC. Further, this is only talking about NLJ250 placement numbers. Cornell's article III clerkship placement is even more dismal for the T14. Cornell barely ranked in the top-25 for that.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... s-rankings

Curry

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby Curry » Tue May 03, 2011 10:17 pm

So your conclusion is based off a sample size of 2. Awesome.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. Cornell

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:20 pm

Curry wrote:So your conclusion is based off a sample size of 2. Awesome.

Let's not be enemies please. I support the same NBA player.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests