Pittsburgh vs. Miami

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pitt vs. Miami

Pittsburgh
47%
Miami
53%

Total votes: 15

Hysenburg

Pittsburgh vs. Miami

Postby Hysenburg » Mon May 02, 2011 11:47 pm

Hello all, I just signed up because I cant seem to make my mind up about this.

Let me first state, that I currently live in Miami. The city is great, I have family here etc. etc. More importantly, I eventually wish to practice here.

Now to the predicament...

Pittsburgh is ranked (slightly) higher than Miami but I have noticed Miami has been on a slight decline for some time now. It has a large alumni base and I have no problems moving away and from what I have read Pittsburgh is a really underrated and fun city...I am just uncertain Pittsburgh is the best choice for me practicing in Miami. Also, another reason this is so hard, Pittsburgh has offered me a scholarship, 14000 to be exact.

Miami, on the other hand, is an extremely regional school and more expensive. Yet, it seems, it is the school to go to if you wish to study in South Florida. I am aiming not exactly for employment in major firms, but the "mid-majors" are definitely within reach and I do have several connections within the law community in Miami.

So, do i go to the more affordable, "better", abroad school? Or to the school that seems to work best with my goal of practicing in Miami even though it is more expensive?

The only other schools I am waiting on are Florida State and American University...I am on the wait list for American

Thanks for your input and advice.

Case2L

Re: Pittsburgh vs. Miami

Postby Case2L » Tue May 03, 2011 12:05 am

I am sure you have already heard this, but rankings do not matter when it comes to regional schools. If you want to work in Miami, then U of Miami is the credited response (unless, of course, you get off FSU's waitlist).

Hysenburg

Postby Hysenburg » Tue May 03, 2011 12:13 am

thanks. I am leaning towards Miami but the scholarship money was a welcomed surprise from Pitt and it really put a halt on my decision. thanks for the input.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Tue May 03, 2011 12:16 am

Hysenburg wrote:thanks. I am leaning towards Miami but the scholarship money was a welcomed surprise from Pitt and it really put a halt on my decision. thanks for the input.

Tell Miami you got money from Pitt and see what they say.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue May 03, 2011 12:17 am

Do you want to work in Pittsburgh or Miami? That's all you should be asking yourself. A small scholarship, especially if it comes with stipulations, is not worth having a 0% shot at a job in the city where you want to live after law school, and you will have a close to 0% job at a Miami job from Pitt. Also, see if Miami will throw some $ your way.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Tue May 03, 2011 12:18 am

If you know you want to work in Miami don't go to Pitt. Only go to Pitt if you're willing to work in Pittsburgh.
Ignore the difference in rankings...it means nothing.
use the Pitt scholarship to leverage money out of Miami.
Good luck!

Hysenburg

Postby Hysenburg » Tue May 03, 2011 12:19 am

Well....I got into Miami off the wait list. Not sure if they would even blink if I said that.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Tue May 03, 2011 12:22 am

Hysenburg wrote:Well....I got into Miami off the wait list. Not sure if they would even blink if I said that.

Just try to get some $. They say no, so what. What do you have to lose?

Hysenburg

Postby Hysenburg » Tue May 03, 2011 12:25 am

true.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 03, 2011 1:32 am

Without a full or near full scholarship, don't go. Retake and get into UF at least. Miami does NOT in any way dominate the market. There are a ton of the people with Miami connections from T25 ish schools who want to end up there.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue May 03, 2011 6:31 pm

I go to Pitt and I will tell you to not come here if you truly want to go to FL to practice. UF with in state is the only school there I would go to at sticker, Miami at sticker will leave you close to 200k in debt from a T2 school which doesn't dominate its own market that is already weak and oversaturated.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue May 03, 2011 8:42 pm

retake and UF or FSU is the only correct response

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue May 03, 2011 8:46 pm

If you want Miami- dont go to Pittsburgh.

UF would be your best bet- followed by FSU then Miami.
Remember to include living expenses when you calculate cost of attendance. Miami is one expensive city to live in- and you cant work during 1L.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu May 05, 2011 12:10 am

Could you be kind enough to share a general ballpark of your numbers? The only option you should be considering is FSU if you get off the WL.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”