Large scholarships, Need to decide in 24 hours

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which deal?

Wake Forest w/ a 30K year scholarship
7%
IU-B w/ 40K a year scholarship
35%
Emory w/ 15K a year scholarship
14%
Minnesota w/ 20K a year scholarship
12%
UGA w/ in-state tuition all 3 years
33%

Total votes: 43

SrLaw

Large scholarships, Need to decide in 24 hours

Postby SrLaw » Mon May 02, 2011 10:44 pm

Which do I choose? I may like to try to get into politics on Cap Hill, might want to take over the family law practice, might want to go into business.

All I know is that I want to practice law for a bit after school.

Which is my best move?

Bildungsroman

Re: Large scholarships, Need to decide in 24 hours

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon May 02, 2011 10:45 pm

Well, since you aren't sure you want to be a lawyer I'd just go with IUB since you'll be pissing away less money.

jdhonest

Postby jdhonest » Mon May 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Is it too late to right a really snark letter to a TTTT?! Cause that works now...

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon May 02, 2011 11:18 pm

SrLaw wrote:Which do I choose? I may like to try to get into politics on Cap Hill, might want to take over the family law practice, might want to go into business.

Which is my best move?

What is your cost of attendance for each school?

adt231

Postby adt231 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:58 pm

Knock wrote:
SrLaw wrote:Which do I choose? I may like to try to get into politics on Cap Hill, might want to take over the family law practice, might want to go into business.

Which is my best move?

What is your cost of attendance for each school?

This info would allow us to make a more helpful suggestion. But even better yet, is mummy or daddy help to pay any portion of your COA or do you have any personal savings that are going towards your COA? Also, do you have any UG debt? I'd like to know in order to gage a solid estimation of your DEBT upon graduation. This is crucial info.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:09 am

In the meantime, I voted IUB because I think it's probably your best bet when jointly considering cost and job prospects (that is, as far as I can tell given the limited info)

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue May 03, 2011 12:13 am

If you're from the South and you like the South, you should probably delete IU-B and Minnesota from your list unless you think you'll be happy when it's cold as hell outside. One of the best ways to do really shitty during 1L is to be unhappy, and a really good way to be unhappy is to live in a climate you're not used to and hate.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue May 03, 2011 12:14 am

MrKappus wrote:If you're from the South and you like the South, you should probably delete IU-B and Minnesota from your list unless you think you'll be happy when it's cold as hell outside. One of the best ways to do really shitty during 1L is to be unhappy, and a really good way to be unhappy is to live in a climate you're not used to and hate.

Crap.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue May 03, 2011 12:19 am

Like my post is crap? Or that's your reaction?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue May 03, 2011 12:23 am

MrKappus wrote:Like my post is crap? Or that's your reaction?

The latter, I'm almost certain.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:23 am

MrKappus wrote:If you're from the South and you like the South, you should probably delete IU-B and Minnesota from your list unless you think you'll be happy when it's cold as hell outside. One of the best ways to do really shitty during 1L is to be unhappy, and a really good way to be unhappy is to live in a climate you're not used to and hate.

Good point. OP, if you're from the South and hate cold weather, then I'd probably go with Georgia or Wake and probably not Emory. Emory is probably not worth 15k more a year than Georgia. Out of Wake and Georgia at similar costs, I might go with Georgia. It seems to have a bigger home market (but this may be irrelevant since you are probably not going to practice law for long and if you do, you'll probably be heading into the family business).

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue May 03, 2011 12:24 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

Yeah lol, I'm moving to the frozen tundra next year.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue May 03, 2011 12:27 am

Knock wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Some people aren't affected by weather at all. Some people kind of are. I'm sure you knew which of those two groups you're in when you made your choice. I was a person from warmer climes that went to New England for college, however, and I can say that winters were a real bummer.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue May 03, 2011 12:28 am

MrKappus wrote:
Knock wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Some people aren't affected by weather at all. Some people kind of are. I'm sure you knew which of those two groups you're in when you made your choice. I was a person from warmer climes that went to New England for college, however, and I can say that winters were a real bummer.

I'm in the same group as you. I guess we'll see how I handle a real winter.

glewz

Postby glewz » Tue May 03, 2011 12:31 am

Confused why people are picking schools other than IUB - best business school of that entire list of schools, pretty much full scholarship, and would be great for taking over family law practice with little debt.

None of the schools give an outstanding chance at biglaw or DC politics, but if IUB's employment stats are as good, if not better than the other options.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Tue May 03, 2011 1:15 pm

You seem like you're fairly uncertain as to what you want to do and where you want to do it. With that in mind, I would eliminate any school which will incur you $100k or greater in debt, so that would take Emory and Minn off the table. That leaves us with Wake, UGA and IUB. UGA is at about $95k COA, Wake at $84k COA and $69k for IUB. Now we get down to regions. If you want to work in the Midwest, IUB is the clear cut champion. If you want to work in the South (which I'm defining as SC and below), I'd think that UGA may be worth the $10k more over Wake. If you want to work in North Carolina, Wake. If you want to work in the Mid Atlantic (VA/PA/MD/WV/NY), I'd still say Wake. If you want to work in New England or the West Coast, you won't have much luck from any of these schools, so I guess I'd say IUB.

There's no clear cut "winner" or "loser" here (although I'd argue that Emory over UGA would not be your best choice ever). If you have no preference as to where you want to live and no gut feeling about any of these schools, I guess I'd advocate IUB, because the lack of debt may give you the most options. But if, at this point, you really have no discernible preferences, you may be looking at options that aren't a good fit for you, and you might want to consider re-applying or retaking.

Also, slight note- Wake has a semester in DC program (idk if any of the others do) so if you are seriously into working in DC/politics, that might be a slight consideration.

Good luck :) You have some strong choices here, I hope they work out well.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 03, 2011 2:48 pm

Georgia since you have political asperations & that is your home state. Very reasonable in-state tuition.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”