Thinking about the future

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gator89

Thinking about the future

Postby gator89 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:42 am

I want to go into tax law; so I am planning to get my LLM. I am a current ug student at UF and will most likely go to UF for law school, barring admittance. If I am able to stay at UF for a tax LLM does that open up opportunity to work outside of Florida since it is so highly ranked? I know UF places most of their JD grads in Florida; but I could not find any employment stats for the LLM graduates. Should I instead shoot for a JD from a school that gives me more versatility for employment coupled with an LLM?

Thanks!

JamMasterJ

Re: Thinking about the future

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon May 02, 2011 11:48 am

Yeah, go to NYU. Your JD and LLM will be awesome for Fl practice but will be tough to transfer more than a couple states away - at least that's the case with the JD, I'm not positive on the transferrability of a UF LLM.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon May 02, 2011 11:56 am

I assume you are still early in the process. If so, work as hard as you can to get the best lsat you can and go to the best school you can get into (not strictly usnews of course), For Florida your goals could be UVA, Duke, Vandy, or better if you do really well. UF would be a great choice but if you can do better I think you should try to. Also, do your JD before thinking about an llm. They are not always necessary.

Also keep hanging around here and get a better sense of the law school market.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon May 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Law Sauce wrote:I assume you are still early in the process. If so, work as hard as you can to get the best lsat you can and go to the best school you can get into (not strictly usnews of course), For Florida your goals could be UVA, Duke, Vandy, or better if you do really well. UF would be a great choice but if you can do better I think you should try to. Also, do your JD before thinking about an llm. They are not always necessary.

Also keep hanging around here and get a better sense of the law school market.

This. Though tax is one area where an llm is almost certainly beneficial

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:01 pm

I imagine that getting into UF's tax llm program would be harder from UF's law school than from an out of state peer school. After all, UF wants to keep the reputation of its tax llm program up above all of the other programs (that aren't GTown and NYU) and if it took a lot of students from its JD program, the reputation of its tax llm program would eventually sink.

My point is that you should weigh all of your options. Who knows? You might not like taxation once you are in law school or you might not get into the tax llm program, so don't plan too far ahead without having contingency plans that you would be comfortable with.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon May 02, 2011 12:02 pm

Law Sauce wrote:Also keep hanging around here and get a better sense of the law school market.

I'll disagree here, these people are jerkfaces. And liars to boot.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 02, 2011 12:02 pm

Don't go to FL for the JD just because of tax. To do tax, and to get a tax LLM, you actually have to like tax, and you have to do well in tax class. Neither of these are sure things. The LLM won't make you more mobile. Your JD, depending on where you get it, might.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”