(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mpj_3050

Re: LOUISVILLE or CHARLESTON ??? PLEASE, NEW ADVICE NOW !!!

Postby mpj_3050 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:58 pm

No way should Charleston be an option. You really, really need to retake and shoot for South Carolina if you want to practice in the state. If you retake you might even get some money from S. Carolina which is an infinitely better option.

I'm going to go to a peer school of South Carolina's next year as an out-of-stater so I know what you are trying to do. However, my tuition will be 6k and I have significant family help for post-graduation which makes the loans easy to pay off quickly. You are looking at 30k tuition from Charleston - this isn't an option.

If you must go this year Louisville would be the better option.

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon May 02, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm going to let someone else handle the substance of your post, but I'm writing to acknowledge the nonsensical reasoning.

Just one note: What was it about "EVEN SOUTH CAROLINA STUDENTS ARE HAVING A DIFFICULT TIME FINDING FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT" was so difficult to understand?

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon May 02, 2011 8:53 pm

OK. Listen, bro. Going to Charleston would be a horrible, horrible life choice. You know what the next worst life choice is? Going to Louisville expecting to get a job in Charleston.

I am from South Carolina. My entire, huge extended family lives there. I have family members who are lawyers in South Carolina. Even as a UGA law student, from South Carolina, who attended the best undergrad in south carolina, it is hard as hell to find anyone in south carolina who will let me work for them for free. You have NO IDEA what you are getting into. They don't even want people from the area with connections to work in their market if they didn't go to university of south carolina law. Having some random loosely connected family in the lowcountry isn't going to cut it.

Retake, retake, RETAKE. Go to South Carolina on one hell of a scholarship.

DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, think you are going to go to TTT outside the state of south carolina and get a job in Charleston.

DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, think you are going to go to CSOL and get a job.

You're welcome.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 02, 2011 8:59 pm

0U812 wrote:Again, thank you for your post.

Individuals like me - combat veterans - will enroll as full-time students but pay a significantly lower amount of tuition than initially assesed (if they participated in educational programs).

In my case, we should not base a decision on cost.

Nashville School of Law students are preparing themselves to work in the Nashville market. The school is on Vandy's campus and is designed for students who know they want to practice in Nashville. Vanderbilt graduates, one would suspect, flood Music City. But what is found are Nashville School of Law graduates filling the role of community leaders and civil servants. Vandy, as well as, Tennessee graduates are often hired by corporate firms not involved in criminal or civil litigation.

Can we apply this reasoning to Charleston School of Law _____________________________________

South Carolina graduates and Vanderbilt in this respect are occupying the same role, yet in different regions.

Louisville or Charleston?

Wait. Nashville School of Law is not on the Vandy campus. It is by the mall in Berry Hill. Even if you Vandy analogy were apt (and it's not), you can't apply this reasoning to Charleston Law. They don't just pick up the jobs USC people leave behind. Not all USC people get jobs, and CSOL people get even fewer jobs. What eandy said above rings true.

So you'll have less debt, but you probably won't have a job. I wouldn't go to either of those, but Louisville I guess. I'm guessing since you're from there it will be easier for you to get a job (though not in SC). Again, not a sure thing whether you will get a job at all.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon May 02, 2011 9:07 pm

eandy wrote:OK. Listen, bro. Going to Charleston would be a horrible, horrible life choice. You know what the next worst life choice is? Going to Louisville expecting to get a job in Charleston.

I am from South Carolina. My entire, huge extended family lives there. I have family members who are lawyers in South Carolina. Even as a UGA law student, from South Carolina, who attended the best undergrad in south carolina, it is hard as hell to find anyone in south carolina who will let me work for them for free. You have NO IDEA what you are getting into. They don't even want people from the area with connections to work in their market if they didn't go to university of south carolina law. Having some random loosely connected family in the lowcountry isn't going to cut it.

Retake, retake, RETAKE. Go to South Carolina on one hell of a scholarship.

DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, think you are going to go to TTT outside the state of south carolina and get a job in Charleston.

DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, think you are going to go to CSOL and get a job.

You're welcome.

This person is giving you really good advice.

Though I am interested in what school you think is the "best undergrad in South Carolina". There are really only two in the conversation, so I'm genuinely interested.

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 pm

Last edited by eandy on Thu May 05, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 pm

0U812 wrote:Yes, Nashville School of Law is a part of the Vanderbilt campus. I know this to be true and it is undebatable.

lol no

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1RNNN_enUS367US367&q=nashville+school+of+law&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

http://nashvilleschooloflaw.net/?page_id=6

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon May 02, 2011 9:11 pm

0U812 wrote:Yes, Nashville School of Law is a part of the Vanderbilt campus. I know this to be true and it is undebatable.

Notwithstanding, I offer you my sincerest appreciation for your advice.

You do realize that Radlaw goes to Vandy, right? He would know this sort of thing, kind of like how I would know that most people don't call it the Lowlands.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon May 02, 2011 9:13 pm

eandy wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Though I am interested in what school you think is the "best undergrad in South Carolina". There are really only two in the conversation, so I'm genuinely interested.

Unless you are doing International Business (which is open to only a few people), the only reason one would go to South Carolina is because they couldn't get into Clemson.

:mrgreen:

I applied to SCU with in orange colored pencil; got in (not kidding).

I have heard people make arguments for Furman, though. Those aren't *good* arguments, but they are arguments.

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm

0U812 wrote:Of course, I will not base my decision on the advice of three or four strangers but I have gained a uniqe perspective from each of you.

I expect a great deal of users would not have posted advice because my schools are not exactly "Top Law Schools". You have, and your advice will provide weight on my decision.

Godspeed, OP.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm

0U812 wrote:Of course, I will not base my decision on the advice of three or four strangers but I have gained a uniqe perspective from each of you.

I expect a great deal of users would not have posted advice because my schools are not exactly "Top Law Schools". You have, and your advice will provide weight on my decision.

Best of luck bro, just keep in mind most laypeople have no clue what in the hell is going on with the legal market. Cold call some people from your undergrad who work in law firms there if you can. Or just anyone you know who works in the legal industry there.

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:36 pm

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Mon May 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
eandy wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Though I am interested in what school you think is the "best undergrad in South Carolina". There are really only two in the conversation, so I'm genuinely interested.

Unless you are doing International Business (which is open to only a few people), the only reason one would go to South Carolina is because they couldn't get into Clemson.

I have heard people make arguments for Furman, though. Those aren't *good* arguments, but they are arguments.

C'mon guys... I think we can all agree that Bob Jones is hands-down tops in the state. :wink:

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:49 pm

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Mon May 02, 2011 11:40 pm

0U812 wrote:I've recieved great deal of advice on why not to enroll at Charleston.

Does anyone have reason why I should attend Charlestion instead of Louisville?

So you can write "JD, Charleston School of Law" on your employment application at the Starbucks in Hilton Head?

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Mon May 02, 2011 11:56 pm

This OP is trolling the shit out of this thread. Well done.

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:49 am

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Turtledove

Postby Turtledove » Tue May 03, 2011 10:22 am

makingasnack

Postby makingasnack » Tue May 03, 2011 10:38 am

xcountryjunkie wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
eandy wrote:

C'mon guys... I think we can all agree that Bob Jones is hands-down tops in the state. :wink:

Heck yes! Chalk one up for my alma mater. :wink:

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Tue May 03, 2011 10:46 am

0U812 wrote:Thank you for your post.

The Low Country is where I want to live.

Why is working at Starbucks on Hilton Head (opposed to a Starbucks in Louisville) such a bad idea (if I decided to work Starbucks instead of McDonalds) ?_______________________

45k yr, a mini-farm on the edge of town, etc... the kinds of things that are financed most often by steady employment.

It seems unreasonable to suggest an individual (in a particular location working at Starbucks with a J.D.) would not be able to find gainful legal employment (in that location) within ten years of graduating from a law school (in that region).

I will not earn a spectacular salary graduating from either Louisville or Charleston, so why not indulge myself.

I have a total of eight years in service to my Corps and Country and four years of undergraduate education.

If I am ready to simply earn middle-class wages in the legal profession (my own choice), why should I not attend Charlestion?__________________

totally unrelated, but what's up with the long dashes at the end of your questions?__________________

are we to fill in the blank?__________________

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Tue May 03, 2011 11:05 am

I know we shouldn't be feeding trolls, but these threads are like train wrecks - you just can't look away. This is why these bad decision vs. even worse decision threads turn into 100 pages of b.s.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue May 03, 2011 11:11 am

i live in charleston. my SO has spent 12 years working at a large law firm in charleston. they have told him many times since CSOL opened that they will NEVER hire or consider hiring a CSOL grad. they don't even get summer clerks from there, they get them from USC.
consider yourself warned and best of luck with whatever choice you make.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”