(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:24 am

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 13 times in total.

fish tacos

Re: LOUISVILLE or CHARLESTON ??????? ADVISE ME !!!!!!!!

Postby fish tacos » Mon May 02, 2011 1:26 am

Was the University of South Carolina not an option?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 02, 2011 1:28 am

Don't go to Charleston. SC is one of the most insular markets in the nation. Plus let's be real, there's probably not even a legal market to support all of USC's grads in this economy, much less the majority of Charleston grads.

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:37 am

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ty Webb

Re: LOUISVILLE or CHARLESTON ??? PLEASE ADVISE ME !!!

Postby Ty Webb » Mon May 02, 2011 1:55 am

Your first tip is to never again call Charleston the Lowlands. The Lowlands are in Scotland. The term you were looking for is Low Country.

Or better yet, just call it Charleston.

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:10 am

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon May 02, 2011 2:23 am

Neither is really a great choice, but it seems like you know that.

If you want to work in South Carolina, then Charleston is a better choice than Louisville. Louisville is generally a better choice because it's cheaper.

But SC employers aren't going to look at a Louisville resume beside a CSOL resume and remark about the difference in ranking.

That said, it's hard as shit to get hired out of CSOL. It's hard right now to get hired out of USC. The South Carolina legal market is pure-T garbage because there is no commerce. With no commerce, there is little need for big firm type of work. No big firms means the best students have to fight for the jobs that median students would normally fight for. It makes life hard on everyone. I do not know a single CSOL grad who is gainfully employed (with the exception of one guy whose dad owns a firm). I know several who are looking. I know one who *might* have a crappy clerkship with a judge in a place where no one wants to live.

The prudent choice is to go to the cheaper school in the bigger city with the better market. Job hunting from these schools is going to be hard. You're not going to have the luxury of being picky.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon May 02, 2011 2:28 am

0U812 wrote:You must think you are so smart. Do me a favor GOOGLE THIS "South Carolina Lowlands". Your such a fool. I live here. You are a prime example of why the SC market is insular.

You remind me of the server who fails to put french fries in my McDonalds bag and then insist's you did.

lolwut.

I've lived there my entire life and no one calls it the Lowlands. That's unless you're referring to somewhere other than the area from Charleston south to Beaufort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Carolina_Lowcountry

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon May 02, 2011 2:29 am

0U812 wrote:GOOGLE "South Carolina Lowlands"

For the love of God, this wasn't worth two edits.

I change my mind. Don't go to law school. You're going to suck at it.

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:36 am

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:46 am

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 02, 2011 2:46 am

0U812 wrote:If the market in SC is insular, then it seems I should attend Charleston and begin networking to build my reputation.

So insular that if you're not from there, don't have family there, or haven't spent a significant amount of time, and I mean a TON of time there, don't even bother trying to work there.

Furthermore, what Ty said about the market is correct. Pretty much everyone I know is trying to get the hell out, and people who stayed are not doing well.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 02, 2011 2:50 am

0U812 wrote:I only have this question for ANYONE else but "him", I do not want to argue about ANYTHING else.

LOUISVILLE or CHARLESTON?

For work in Charleston, the answer, unfortunately, is neither.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 02, 2011 2:55 am

0U812 wrote:If the market in SC is insular, then it seems I should attend Charleston and begin networking to build my reputation.

Yes, I did apply at the University of South Carolina. I didn't roll sevens.

It's either Louisville or Charleston. My first choice was Tennessee, but they have waitlisted me for now.

Also why was your #1 choice UTK when you want to work in Charleston.

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:02 am

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 02, 2011 3:07 am

0U812 wrote:Thank you for your post.

I have family in Hilton Head, but I don't know anyone that may be a useful resource for networking. Isn't that why I should go to Charleston, given I want to live in South Carolina?

I feel like if I'm going to be 'broke" no matter where I am, I might as well be happy.

I went to recruit training @ Parris Island & have been stationed in Beaufort, so I know the area well.

I'm just not sure what I should do.

If all else failed, I could still work in SC as a paralegal or law clerk (until experienced) and earn enough to be happy.

Going to Charleston has a very high probability of leaving you unemployed, or never being able to find work as a lawyer. That's the problem. You can get paralegal jobs without the law degree. In fact, the JD will probably overqualify you. It's not a backup.

I'd retake the LSAT, reapply next cycle, and try to get into USC if you won't be happy anywhere else but the Low Country.

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:17 am

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon May 02, 2011 3:45 am

0U812 wrote:Again, thank you.

No, I will be happy in other places. I would enjoy myself in Charleston though.

I may attend U of L. I may attend Charleston. I just don't know.

Is the reason your friends aren't happy because of the market, or just because they don't realize how well they have it on the coast?

Let's admit, the quality of life here is much different than anywhere else. And that makes my decision tough when I don't plan on earning six figures anyway.

Jesus.

Another person from South Carolina who believes that it offers the best quality of life of any place in the known universe. At least you are considering other schools, so it appears that you don't think the world falls off a cliff at the edge of the SC border.

OP - there are other great places to live. I like the view of the marsh as much as the next guy, but I also appreciate a place with professional sports, decent public schools, public transportation, a diverse population, opportunities for advancement, etc. Don't tie yourself to horrible job prospects because you think the Low Country is the best place in the world to live. You'll probably be happier employed somewhere else than you would be unemployed in Moncks Corner.

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:06 am

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon May 02, 2011 4:53 am

You are assuming that your chances of finding a legal job in Charleston are the same as finding a legal job in Louisville (or anywhere else). All other things equal, sure, choose Charleston. What people are telling you is that what you want might not be possible. Charleston has very few legal jobs each year. The chances of you getting one are very small. So unless you are willing to work in a non-legal capacity (re: McDonald's), then it's foolish to put your eggs in the Charleston basket completely.

If you are willing to settle for something that's not a legal job out of law school, then you should re-consider attending in the first place.

I also believe that it will be easier to come to Charleston later in your career. That might mean opening up your own shop (depending upon what kind of law you're doing) or working in a firm or government job there. You just need to be real with yourself about the hiring market in this city. It is as hard a market to break into as there is in the entire country. That is true for the following reasons:

1) Availability of jobs: A very small number of jobs of any kind come open in a given year.
2) Small-firm centric: The majority of jobs that do come open are at small firms. These are the kinds of firms where family members and friends of family members get hired.
3) Generally insular nature of the market: This goes with #2 above. The city itself celebrates and perpetuates old prestige and old money. If you are not a power player in that city, your chances of landing a legal job there are very slim.
4) It's attractive: Charleston is a nice city and a huge percentage of South Carolina graduates would like to work and live there. This means that the entire class at SC is gunning for the small number of jobs there. That's not counting the kids who are from Charleston who have gone off elsewhere and it's not counting the tip top of the class at CSOL who are able to slip in. Though it's not common, I'd assume that your average T-20 grad who wanted to come to Charleston would be difficult to take down for a CSOL student.

When you combine these things, it makes this a painfully difficult market to target. OP - working in Charleston at some point, and even for the bulk of your career - is not at all unreasonable. It is unreasonable to think you'll work there upon graduation unless you have SIGNIFICANT contacts (you said you don't). I'd go to the place that's cheapest and the place that gives me the best chance to get a job.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Mon May 02, 2011 11:25 am

If you are Charleston or bust, then you should take a year or two off. Get a paralegal/LA/file clerk job at a small firm in Charleston and build some contacts. Retake the LSAT and get into USC w/ in state tuition and, preferrably, a scholarship

0U812

Postby 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Last edited by 0U812 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 02, 2011 6:27 pm

0U812 wrote:Many jobs in South Carolina are available and posted on the internet. Anyone who can use a search engine can locate a number of entry level postitions.

The listings are posted on the internet! Not for junior counselors who want to break into fancy circles of "inherited wealth" or "old money gigs", but for young attorneys who are more than happy to earn $1000 a week.

If I enroll at Charleston, can I at least assume I will be hired?

Tell that to the people I know from USC who I know who are jobless. I see 1 posting for permanent entry-level attorney (not paralegal) work on Craigslist for the last month. 1. A quick google internet search also reveals no obvious entry-level positions. You can be a doc. review temp, but this isn't really being a lawyer.

So no, you cannot assume you will be hired. There is a much better chance you will NOT be hired.

It seems the same is also true for Nasvhille School of Law and Vanderbilt, for instance.

I don't know much about NSoL, but Vanderbilt is a completely different league than Charleston. This is a ridiculous comparison.

scammedhard

Re: LOUISVILLE or CHARLESTON ??? PLEASE, NEW ADVICE NOW !!!

Postby scammedhard » Mon May 02, 2011 7:41 pm

0U812 wrote:I want the lifestyle only the Low Country can offer, yet I'm afraid I'll regret not attending a more "prestigious" university. Yes, I'm pleased with Louisville. I do not anticipate employment in a silk stocking firm as do those with a stronger LSAT score.

Regret? If you go to either of these places I can assure you that you will REGRET that decision.
Silk stocking firm? Wake up and do some research. There are people graduating from T14 schools w/o a job.
Don't be a lazy ass and RETAKE the LSAT, or don't go to law school.

Case2L

Re: LOUISVILLE or CHARLESTON ??? PLEASE, NEW ADVICE NOW !!!

Postby Case2L » Mon May 02, 2011 7:56 pm

Forget $30K a year (plus COL) for an unranked (and I think unaccredited?) law school. Assuming someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to go to law school this Fall, you should go to the cheaper, more established school. You have family in SC, so you can hustle for summer internships there. Your chances for employment in general are better coming out of Louisville.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”