GULC or Northwestern? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Flips88

Diamond

Re: GULC or Northwestern?

Post by Flips88 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:21 am

Marionberry wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
Moxie wrote:And tall buildings does not a city make.
LOVE THIS.
I was going to say that it's law that nothing can be taller than the Washington Monument, but a google search reveals that to be just an urban legend. Who knew?

Either way, I like DC a lot because it doesn't have all the skyscrapers. It's a big city without the suffocating concrete jungle feel of NYC. You can walk around and see the sky everywhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heights_of ... ct_of_1910 ?
What is this horseshit Wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument "It is still the tallest building in Washington, D.C.; the Heights of Buildings Act of 1910 restricts new building heights to no more than 20 feet (6.1 m) greater than the width of the adjacent street. (There is a popular misconception that the law specifically states that no building may be taller than the Washington Monument, but in fact the law makes no mention of it.)"

ETA: and now I see I totally glossed over the mentioning of the bill earlier haha. still early. I guess it's a myth that it specifically states the Washington Monument as the cap.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed May 04, 2011 10:23 am

Flips88 wrote: What is this horseshit Wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument "It is still the tallest building in Washington, D.C.; the Heights of Buildings Act of 1910 restricts new building heights to no more than 20 feet (6.1 m) greater than the width of the adjacent street. (There is a popular misconception that the law specifically states that no building may be taller than the Washington Monument, but in fact the law makes no mention of it.)"

ETA: and now I see I totally glossed over the mentioning of the bill earlier haha. still early. I guess it's a myth that it specifically states the Washington Monument as the cap.
Yeah, I didn't know about that until I looked it up after reading your post. I thought nothing could be taller than the Capitol building. :D

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Wed May 04, 2011 10:26 am

Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Wed May 04, 2011 10:30 am

Flips88 wrote:Either way, I like DC a lot because it doesn't have all the skyscrapers. It's a big city without the suffocating concrete jungle feel of NYC. You can walk around and see the sky everywhere.
This is something i love about dc as well.

Now the super serious question, are you riding the gulc waitlist now that you're in at NU? what will you do if you get in?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:34 am

hipstermafia wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Either way, I like DC a lot because it doesn't have all the skyscrapers. It's a big city without the suffocating concrete jungle feel of NYC. You can walk around and see the sky everywhere.
This is something i love about dc as well.

Now the super serious question, are you riding the gulc waitlist now that you're in at NU? what will you do if you get in?
Lolz. I think I'm gonna hang out on GULC and Penn's wait lists, but not sure what I'll do if I get in. I think I may prefer NU at this point if only for the drastically smaller class size. GULC would be a great option to have, but I also haven't gotten any of the recent "small batch" emails that people have. Special group, my ass

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Wed May 04, 2011 10:40 am

Flips88 wrote:Lolz. I think I'm gonna hang out on GULC and Penn's wait lists, but not sure what I'll do if I get in. I think I may prefer NU at this point if only for the drastically smaller class size. GULC would be a great option to have, but I also haven't gotten any of the recent "small batch" emails that people have. Special group, my ass
Maybe you're so special that they will just let you in without an e-mail! Of note: Georgetown 1L sections are 80 starting next year. /end trolling

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:45 am

hipstermafia wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Lolz. I think I'm gonna hang out on GULC and Penn's wait lists, but not sure what I'll do if I get in. I think I may prefer NU at this point if only for the drastically smaller class size. GULC would be a great option to have, but I also haven't gotten any of the recent "small batch" emails that people have. Special group, my ass
Maybe you're so special that they will just let you in without an e-mail! Of note: Georgetown 1L sections are 80 starting next year. /end trolling
:lol: :lol: you're doing your job. I just like the feel of a class of 270 better than a class of 600

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:29 am

Flips88 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
LOVE THIS.
I was going to say that it's law that nothing can be taller than the Washington Monument, but a google search reveals that to be just an urban legend. Who knew?

Either way, I like DC a lot because it doesn't have all the skyscrapers. It's a big city without the suffocating concrete jungle feel of NYC. You can walk around and see the sky everywhere.
You can live in a neighborhood without skyscrappers. They only exist downtown and on the lakefront.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed May 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
LOVE THIS.

You can live in a neighborhood without skyscrappers. They only exist downtown and on the lakefront.
Yeah, its surprising so many people think Chicago neighborhoods all fit into three categories: Rich people in skyscrapers, poor people in shacks, suburbs. Chicago is really not like that at all and its really spread out. There is something for everyone and I am not entirely sure how its possible to not find the type of neighborhood you're looking for within a 30 minute max commute to any work/LS/etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:13 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Yeah, its surprising so many people think Chicago neighborhoods all fit into three categories: Rich people in skyscrapers, poor people in shacks, suburbs. Chicago is really not like that at all and its really spread out. There is something for everyone and I am not entirely sure how its possible to not find the type of neighborhood you're looking for within a 30 minute max commute to any work/LS/etc.
I was specifically referencing the difference between DC and NYC, which I admit was a tangent to this discussion. I think DC and Chicago are both better than NYC in terms of not feeling claustrophobic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”