Maryland vs. Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Maryland or Cardozo?

Maryland
86%
Cardozo
14%

Total votes: 7

Talented URM

Maryland vs. Cardozo

Postby Talented URM » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm trying to assist a friend. She wants to make the most money possible, and is torn between Maryland and Cardozo.

When it comes to job prospects, which is stronger? I'm leaning Maryland because of all the competition Cardozo faces (Fordham, NYU, etc.), but I need some reassurance.

blsingindisguise

Re: Maryland vs. Cardozo

Postby blsingindisguise » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Any scholarship at either? Maryland has plenty of competition too if you're talking about the DC market, which is the big law market in the area. It's not like she's going to get a job in College Park.

How much money is a lot to your friend? Neither give her very good odds at a large salary these days.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:31 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Any scholarship at either? Maryland has plenty of competition too if you're talking about the DC market, which is the big law market in the area. It's not like she's going to get a job in College Park.

How much money is a lot to your friend? Neither give her very good odds at a large salary these days.

Truthfully, I'd pick UMD. Maryland is great for the Baltimore market, and DC is ehh. I think Cardozo would only be better if your friend were at the top of her class, and the chances of that are slim.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:33 pm

DeeCee wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:Any scholarship at either? Maryland has plenty of competition too if you're talking about the DC market, which is the big law market in the area. It's not like she's going to get a job in College Park.

Truthfully, I'd pick UMD. Maryland is great for the Baltimore market, and DC is ehh. I think Cardozo would only be better if your friend were at the top of her class, and the chances of that are slim.

i'd go with this

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but is there much of a legal market in Baltimore? It's not exactly a major business center. I'm sure there are lots of small shops of all flavors but I doubt most pay the big bucks.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:54 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but is there much of a legal market in Baltimore? It's not exactly a major business center. I'm sure there are lots of small shops of all flavors but I doubt most pay the big bucks.

There are definitely some big firms with offices in Baltimore, and there's two NLJ 250 firms HQ'd there. Still, I'd choose UMD only with in-state and/or scholarship.

Also, OP, your handle is really weird.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:10 am

Without $$$, I wouldn't touch either.

Turtledove

Postby Turtledove » Sun May 01, 2011 12:14 am

arvcondor wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but is there much of a legal market in Baltimore? It's not exactly a major business center. I'm sure there are lots of small shops of all flavors but I doubt most pay the big bucks.

There are definitely some big firms with offices in Baltimore, and there's two NLJ 250 firms HQ'd there. Still, I'd choose UMD only with in-state and/or scholarship.

Also, OP, your handle is really weird.

Echo that - Baltimore is actually a surprisingly large biglaw market and would be a good target from OP to break into if he/she went to UMD. You should check out the NALP page for Balitmore firms to check for yourself.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”