Maryland vs. Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Maryland or Cardozo?

Maryland
6
86%
Cardozo
1
14%
 
Total votes: 7

Talented URM
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Maryland vs. Cardozo

Postby Talented URM » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm trying to assist a friend. She wants to make the most money possible, and is torn between Maryland and Cardozo.

When it comes to job prospects, which is stronger? I'm leaning Maryland because of all the competition Cardozo faces (Fordham, NYU, etc.), but I need some reassurance.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Maryland vs. Cardozo

Postby blsingindisguise » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Any scholarship at either? Maryland has plenty of competition too if you're talking about the DC market, which is the big law market in the area. It's not like she's going to get a job in College Park.

How much money is a lot to your friend? Neither give her very good odds at a large salary these days.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Maryland vs. Cardozo

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:31 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Any scholarship at either? Maryland has plenty of competition too if you're talking about the DC market, which is the big law market in the area. It's not like she's going to get a job in College Park.

How much money is a lot to your friend? Neither give her very good odds at a large salary these days.


Truthfully, I'd pick UMD. Maryland is great for the Baltimore market, and DC is ehh. I think Cardozo would only be better if your friend were at the top of her class, and the chances of that are slim.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Maryland vs. Cardozo

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:33 pm

DeeCee wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:Any scholarship at either? Maryland has plenty of competition too if you're talking about the DC market, which is the big law market in the area. It's not like she's going to get a job in College Park.

How much money is a lot to your friend? Neither give her very good odds at a large salary these days.


Truthfully, I'd pick UMD. Maryland is great for the Baltimore market, and DC is ehh. I think Cardozo would only be better if your friend were at the top of her class, and the chances of that are slim.


i'd go with this

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Maryland vs. Cardozo

Postby blsingindisguise » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but is there much of a legal market in Baltimore? It's not exactly a major business center. I'm sure there are lots of small shops of all flavors but I doubt most pay the big bucks.

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Maryland vs. Cardozo

Postby arvcondor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:54 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but is there much of a legal market in Baltimore? It's not exactly a major business center. I'm sure there are lots of small shops of all flavors but I doubt most pay the big bucks.

There are definitely some big firms with offices in Baltimore, and there's two NLJ 250 firms HQ'd there. Still, I'd choose UMD only with in-state and/or scholarship.

Also, OP, your handle is really weird.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Maryland vs. Cardozo

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:10 am

Without $$$, I wouldn't touch either.

Turtledove
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Re: Maryland vs. Cardozo

Postby Turtledove » Sun May 01, 2011 12:14 am

arvcondor wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but is there much of a legal market in Baltimore? It's not exactly a major business center. I'm sure there are lots of small shops of all flavors but I doubt most pay the big bucks.

There are definitely some big firms with offices in Baltimore, and there's two NLJ 250 firms HQ'd there. Still, I'd choose UMD only with in-state and/or scholarship.

Also, OP, your handle is really weird.


Echo that - Baltimore is actually a surprisingly large biglaw market and would be a good target from OP to break into if he/she went to UMD. You should check out the NALP page for Balitmore firms to check for yourself.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests