W&L or Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help me

W&L $20,000/yr scholarship
100%
Cardozo $27,000/yr scholarship
No votes
Beg St Johns for the full ride back
No votes

Total votes: 13

lackingsofts

W&L or Cardozo

Postby lackingsofts » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Ok, first post. I'm leaning towards W&L but I wanted to see your opinions.

W&L is giving me $20,000 per year and I expect it to cost just over $100,000.
Cardozo is giving $27,000 and I think it'll cost around $110,000, not a huge difference.
I'm from NY but I don't care where I work, just as long as I do work.

My other option is a full ride at st johns that I already turned down. also, still waiting on cornell and several waitlists.

Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: guess i shouldve mentioned this, both schools gpa requirement is about top 80%

Aberzombie1892

Re: W&L or Cardozo

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Both are in crowded markets. If you insist on attending one of them, flip a coin.

blackandyellow

Postby blackandyellow » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:53 pm

lackingsofts wrote:Ok, first post. I'm leaning towards W&L but I wanted to see your opinions.

Cardozo is giving $27,000 and I think it'll cost around $110,000, not a huge difference.

My other option is a full ride at st johns that I already turned down. also, still waiting on cornell and several waitlists.

Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: guess i shouldve mentioned this, both schools gpa requirement is about top 80%

Hope you can get into cornell. You have a 3x better chance of getting biglaw from cornell as compared to WL or cardozo.

lackingsofts

Postby lackingsofts » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:05 pm

blackandyellow wrote:
lackingsofts wrote:Ok, first post. I'm leaning towards W&L but I wanted to see your opinions.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hope you can get into cornell. You have a 3x better chance of getting biglaw from cornell as compared to WL or cardozo.

I hope so too, but I've been rejected from georgetown, northwestern and notre dame so its looking unlikely.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:40 pm

W&L. Stay away from Dozo. Especially if you don't care where you work.

lackingsofts

Postby lackingsofts » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:53 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:W&L. Stay away from Dozo. Especially if you don't care where you work.

Is that just because of NY having so many other schools or is there something I missed about Cardozo that's bad?

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:00 pm

lackingsofts wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:W&L. Stay away from Dozo. Especially if you don't care where you work.

Is that just because of NY having so many other schools or is there something I missed about Cardozo that's bad?

They are notorious for stacking sections - putting everyone with scholarships in the same section to compete against each other, so that it's mathematically impossible for everyone to keep their scholarships.

lackingsofts

Postby lackingsofts » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:10 pm

DeSimone wrote:
lackingsofts wrote:

They are notorious for stacking sections - putting everyone with scholarships in the same section to compete against each other, so that it's mathematically impossible for everyone to keep their scholarships.

ah, thank you. I wouldn't have expected that from a top 50.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:21 pm

lackingsofts wrote:
DeSimone wrote:
lackingsofts wrote:

ah, thank you. I wouldn't have expected that from a top 50.

Idk, I'm pretty sure they don't do this. It's just that the scholarship stipulations used to be higher, so it seemed like sections were stacked even though they weren't. I'd call and ask how they decide who goes into what section if you're really curious, but with the new top 80% stipulation it seems like they want more people to be able to keep their scholarships.

As for which school to take, they're both so different it's kind of hard to say. Did you visit them both? I'd probably take W&L, but Lexington isn't really for everybody.

lackingsofts

Postby lackingsofts » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:05 pm

I've only visited W&L and I really loved it, small school is no problem for me. Haven't gotten up to Cardozo yet because I was admitted after the ASD. Just going to have to get there on my own sometime.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”