(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crit_racer

Re: UT for free or T14 to break the bank

Postby crit_racer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:57 pm

I live in Austin and only drive about once a week to buy large items at the grocery store. I more or less bike everywhere in this city from Ben White to Research and 183 to 360. The bus system is not bad either, and they have racks on the front of the buses for you to put your bike. They also just opened a new lightrail system that is more or less worthless ATM but is expected to improve over the next few years. If you live around North Campus, you will find using your car very little. You can shop at Wheatsville and get to a lot of places on foot or a very short bike ride.

Afraid of the heat? Don't be such a wuss. 150k is huge. Broaden your horizons, and come check out the #14 law school in the country for FREE for a few years. I promise the heat won't kill you (just be sure and drink lots of water!)

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:04 pm

If you were doing PI, I'd say Penn, but since it's private, UT seems like a no brainer.

Also, to anyone trying to make Houston not seem like an overly congested piece of shit obese city, I lol in your general direction

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:30 pm

crit_racer wrote:I live in Austin and only drive about once a week to buy large items at the grocery store. I more or less bike everywhere in this city from Ben White to Research and 183 to 360. The bus system is not bad either, and they have racks on the front of the buses for you to put your bike. They also just opened a new lightrail system that is more or less worthless ATM but is expected to improve over the next few years. If you live around North Campus, you will find using your car very little. You can shop at Wheatsville and get to a lot of places on foot or a very short bike ride.

Afraid of the heat? Don't be such a wuss. 150k is huge. Broaden your horizons, and come check out the #14 law school in the country for FREE for a few years. I promise the heat won't kill you (just be sure and drink lots of water!)

From one crit racer to another, your definition of a "very short bike ride" might be well outside the norm...

OP -- It's UT in a landslide.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Flips88 wrote:If you were doing PI, I'd say Penn, but since it's private, UT seems like a no brainer.

Also, to anyone trying to make Houston not seem like an overly congested piece of shit obese city, I lol in your general direction

first off, classy

second, um, while houston traffic can get kinda bad on 59 or 610 during rush hours...what major city do you live in where the traffic is actually better? lol

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:07 pm

I gotta second the fact that the Austin Metro bus system, while free to students, is immensely frustrating to rely on for primary transportation. Plus those buses had no sense of following a schedule, during my last year there I pretty much gave up on checking the schedule before I left because I knew the bus was just as likely to be 10 minutes early/10 minutes late/right on time... it became futile to try and plan any orderly schedule around the bus actually being at a stop when it was supposed to.

As for heat? Please, if you go outdoors dressed for outdoors the heat shouldn't be an issue. If you are indoors you will enjoy heavy AC pumping 24/7 in every building everywhere. I annoyed more by the heat last summer in NYC than by anything I experienced in 4 years in Austin. Nothing is worse than trying to sleep/work/exist in a hot, muggy room. Then CLS shut down its AC in October only to get hit with a heat wave the following weekend and we had to sit through 85 degree classes, some of the professors cancelled class out of concern for their health/dignity.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:52 pm

Flips88 wrote:Also, to anyone trying to make Houston not seem like an overly congested piece of shit obese city, I lol in your general direction

Don't you rep OKC? Now THAT is a shitty city.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:32 pm

I stop reading after bullet point #1. Go to UT.

twister52

Postby twister52 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:22 am

Flips88 wrote:Also, to anyone trying to make Houston not seem like an overly congested piece of shit obese city, I lol in your general direction

This. Houston is crap.

Count me as one person who grew up in TX that hates it. Sure the food is great and there is a good amount of eye candy (mainly in Austin and Dallas), though that's it. I attended undergrad and grad school in upstate NY and it wasn't too bad. I currently live in OKC for my job and agree that OKC is a shithole.

whitman

Postby whitman » Sun May 01, 2011 12:36 am

Some people...

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:21 am

Stringer Bell wrote:

Don't you rep OKC? Now THAT is a shitty city.

Hey Houston,

they're called zoning laws. Learn to fucking implement them so it doesn't take 2 hours to go 10 miles across town.

Signed,

Everyone that has had the displeasure of driving through your town

bigben

Postby bigben » Sun May 01, 2011 2:01 am

Money is important. But so is being where you want to be at some point. If you have family on the East Coast and you think as you get older you may strongly desire to live near them, I could see taking Penn for the greatly increased chances of having a decent job on the East Coast. You haven't indicated anything like that, though.

Midlaw vs biglaw doesn't change anything. Mid-size law firms are a very very small part of the entry level hiring market, and they are generally just as selective as biglaw firms. Also, I have doubts about whether you as a 0L actually have any good reasoning behind your completely generalized desire to be in midlaw over biglaw in the same (as yet undetermined) market.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon May 02, 2011 8:56 am

1. Thanks for the depth and breadth of participation here! I am a resident from the sticky part of the state, for those of you who were kind enough to inform me about Texas weather. Thanks anyway! :lol:

2. San Antonio may not have a subway system, but the city is less congested and more compact than Houston/Dallas with a higher walkability index. Also, the city seems to offer better quality of life than Houston and fewer conservatives than Dallas. I will hate life if I don't get to practice in Austin though! :wink:

3. I withdrew from Penn this afternoon.

4. Time to buy a hybrid

5. See some of y'all in Austin in September!

bigben

Postby bigben » Mon May 02, 2011 12:08 pm

niederbomb wrote:1. Thanks for the depth and breadth of participation here! I am a resident from the sticky part of the state, for those of you who were kind enough to inform me about Texas weather. Thanks anyway! :lol:

2. San Antonio may not have a subway system, but the city is less congested and more compact than Houston/Dallas with a higher walkability index. Also, the city seems to offer better quality of life than Houston and fewer conservatives than Dallas. I will hate life if I don't get to practice in Austin though! :wink:

4. Time to buy a hybrid

Total 2011 2L summer associates in Austin: 30 - nalpdirectory.com

Study hard!

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon May 02, 2011 12:20 pm

This is ridiculous. Enjoy UT.

esq

Postby esq » Mon May 02, 2011 12:50 pm

niederbomb wrote:1. Thanks for the depth and breadth of participation here! I am a resident from the sticky part of the state, for those of you who were kind enough to inform me about Texas weather. Thanks anyway! :lol:

4. Time to buy a hybrid

Say hi to Leslie for me. :D

glewz

Postby glewz » Mon May 02, 2011 1:50 pm

bigben wrote:Total 2011 2L summer associates in Austin: 30 - nalpdirectory.com

Study hard!

Houston, Dallas? Houston is one of the largest cities in US & dwarfs Austin, right?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”