UCLA v. Michigan. 4 Hours to Decide. Freaking out.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Michigan
65%
UCLA
35%

Total votes: 52

nykfan7073

UCLA v. Michigan. 4 Hours to Decide. Freaking out.

Postby nykfan7073 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:01 pm

I know there is a similar thread below this, but my situation is a bit different.

COA: $15,000 per year scholly to both. It will cumulatively be about $10k cheaper to go to UCLA.

Employment Dreams: Want to work biglaw in Socal. (From the area, went to undergrad at UCLA.)

Extras: Visited Ann Arbor over the weekend, loved the city.

- BUT, I am a little terrified of moving away from my family and living in the cold for 3 years. Do not know anybody in the state of Michigan.

- At the same time, I am wary of giving up an opportunity to go to a top 10 school. Always thought I would move out for law school, starting to get very cold feet at the thought of actually doing it.

Would love for any feedback/insight. Thanks.

flexityflex86

Re: UCLA v. Michigan. 4 Hours to Decide. Freaking out.

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:02 pm

nykfan7073 wrote:I know there is a similar thread below this, but my situation is a bit different.

COA: $15,000 per year scholly to both. It will cumulatively be about $10k cheaper to go to UCLA.

Employment Dreams: Want to work biglaw in Socal. (From the area, went to undergrad at UCLA.)

Extras: Visited Ann Arbor over the weekend, loved the city.

- BUT, I am a little terrified of moving away from my family and living in the cold for 3 years. Do not know anybody in the state of Michigan.

- At the same time, I am wary of giving up an opportunity to go to a top 10 school. Always thought I would move out for law school, starting to get very cold feet at the thought of actually doing it.

Would love for any feedback/insight. Thanks.

Where do you want to work?

I hate the cold, and I'd probably say Michigan at = cost.

If anywhere but LA, I'd say def. suck up the cold for 3 years (you already have LA ties, and firms will understand why you left so-cal).

If definitely LA then maybe UCLA just because I know how the cold weather, and distance from your family could hurt your happiness and consequently your performance.
Last edited by flexityflex86 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:03 pm

Want to work in SoCal? Id say UCLA

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Michigan.

I think the question depends upon what you want to do in the case you can't/don't get LA biglaw. If your preferences are LA biglaw > any biglaw > LA smalllaw > any smalllaw then go to Michigan. If your preferences are LA biglaw > LA smalllaw > any biglaw > any smalllaw, I would consider UCLA.

In any case, since the schools are so expensive I think the rational decision is Michigan since it has a comparable chance at LA biglaw (possibly higher but it would be impossible to statistically verify this), but has a far higher absolute chance at being able to pay off your loans in a reasonable amount of time compared to UCLA.

harborleaguemvp

Postby harborleaguemvp » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:05 pm

There is no wrong answer...stop trippin

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 pm

UCLA.
you want so cal, have family close by- and plan on staying after school. Why add to the stresses of 1L if you dont have to? I know its a better ranked school, but sometimes you need to listen to your gut.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:15 pm

bk1 wrote:Michigan.

I think the question depends upon what you want to do in the case you can't/don't get LA biglaw. If your preferences are LA biglaw > any biglaw > LA smalllaw > any smalllaw then go to Michigan. If your preferences are LA biglaw > LA smalllaw > any biglaw > any smalllaw, I would consider UCLA.

In any case, since the schools are so expensive I think the rational decision is Michigan since it has a comparable chance at LA biglaw (possibly higher but it would be impossible to statistically verify this), but has a far higher absolute chance at being able to pay off your loans in a reasonable amount of time compared to UCLA.

Not necessarily so true.

OP lives in LA so maybe can save rent, and he already knows how to live there, which makes bargain hunting easier.

For example, I live in a really expensive part of a really expensive city, and live a 4k a month lifestyle for <2k, because I know the city like the back of my head (have a $10/month gym while others pay $150/mo+, know which supermarket to buy which food, etc.) The first year I lived here, I spent 250% more to live a lower quality of life.

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:19 pm

You should attend Michigan Law - you have strong ties to LA already so you'll be fine recruiting from Mich. Also, should you choose not to pursue socal, a Michigan legal education gives you portability to work all around the country. The same cannot be said for UCLA (not by a long shot).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:25 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:Not necessarily so true.

OP lives in LA so maybe can save rent, and he already knows how to live there, which makes bargain hunting easier.

For example, I live in a really expensive part of a really expensive city, and live a 4k a month lifestyle for <2k, because I know the city like the back of my head (have a $10/month gym while others pay $150/mo+, know which supermarket to buy which food, etc.) The first year I lived here, I spent 250% more to live a lower quality of life.

I don't see how this is pertinent to anything I said but I will address it anyways.

I don't think it is that hard to find good deals (like a cheap gym rather than an expensive gym or whatever). Maybe finding cheaper rent is hard but I really think you are absurdly overestimating this. Yes it will be more expensive at first but not by a lot. Also there is no guarantee that OP knows the UCLA area considering LA is fairly expansive.

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Uhhhh. Michigan.

I'll buy you hot chocolate and mittens. Wolverine Promise.

UCLA is a fine school, and I think anyone who says otherwise is just prestige-obsessed, but there is a considerable drop in BigLaw/Clerkships from T14 to UCLA and others.

Your ties are unimpeachable. UCLA might give you an advantage in terms of being able to more cheaply run around and do interviews. I say go to Mich and spend some money flying yourself down to LA for extra screener interviews if necessary.

Speculation: LA-area firms don't care about ties as much as, say, the Bay Area or Chicago. They're more like New York. They don't hold that many spots open for UCLA.

Wild speculation: Michigan might even help set you apart as something different; they'll be swimming in UCLA applicants.

Measured speculation: big LA firms probably have at least a couple Michigan people. They're likely to really pull for you with the hiring committees. Lower number of Mich people going to LA makes it more likely that you'll be The Michigan Applicant and will get all the alum boost. (Go out for coffee with some of these people as a 1L over the summer.)

Blatantly anecdotal assertions: I have a bunch of LA-area friends here at Mich. Lots of people will be going to LA over the summer.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:18 pm

I know you picked by now, but don't forget that Ari Gold went to Michigan Law.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”