West Virginia vs Stetson

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Magnew1197

West Virginia vs Stetson

Postby Magnew1197 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:17 pm

I know many are talking about t14 vs t14. I am admitted to many t3 schools but am having difficulties deciding between the final two: Stetson and West Virginia. I live in Kansas. I've been given no scholarships. Total debt, employment prospects, education, and chances of scholarships after first year showing in the top of class are important to me.

dr123

Re: West Virginia vs Stetson

Postby dr123 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Florida sucks and Stetson is behind like 3 schools in the state. Id go with WVU

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:30 pm

If you can get in-state at WV, go there. It not, don't go.

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:34 pm

One good thing about WV is it's tuition. It is substantially cheaper,even for out of state and with no scholarship then Stetson. Room and board is also less expensive. You might want to consider these factors.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:46 pm

You need to visit both schools before deciding.

Without more, Stetson is the safer pick, in my opinion.

I have visited some law schools higher ranked than either WVU or Stetson that were not impressive. A couple were similiar to the first year of undergraduate school & seemed designed only to teach enough law to acquaint the law students with material likely to be seen on the state bar exam. There can be a shocking difference in quality among even second tier law schools.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:50 pm

If you are willing to stay in WV to work, WVU is great and cheap, and Morgantown is a great place to live. If you want to work anywhere outside the state, you probably want to look elsewhere.

Note: I attend WVU undergrad (well, last day was today), not the law school.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:07 pm

I applied to WVU but the residency thing sucks; pretty sure it is really difficult to reclassify. I would not go to WVU at 3 years of out-of-state tuition. But I wouldn't go to Stetson at sticker either.

I don't think you should attend either right now. WVU would be fine but the non-resident tuition will be hefty, although still less than a number of other schools.

I'm actually going to attend a T3 (Ole Miss) but with resident tuition (11k) and a 5k scholarship. I think maybe next cycle you should look for a T2 or T3 that can give you residency and maybe some extra money. Plus you can always retake.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:23 pm

To add to the above: In-state residency is pretty much impossible to get as an out of state student.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Don't you think West Virginia employers might look a little suspiciously upon someone who has no previous ties to the state and comes to WVU? I say this as someone with some experience with West Virginia (my best friend from school is from there, have been to the state many times and WVU several times as well), it just seems as though West Virginians would hire someone who was committed to the state over someone who just came in from Kansas to go to law school.

Morgantown is a great place, I agree with WVUCelticFan. One of my favorite college towns. Hope to be back this fall for the Brawl.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:48 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Don't you think West Virginia employers might look a little suspiciously upon someone who has no previous ties to the state and comes to WVU? I say this as someone with some experience with West Virginia (my best friend from school is from there, have been to the state many times and WVU several times as well), it just seems as though West Virginians would hire someone who was committed to the state over someone who just came in from Kansas to go to law school.

Morgantown is a great place, I agree with WVUCelticFan. One of my favorite college towns. Hope to be back this fall for the Brawl.

Surprised by this. We haven't exactly been nice to ND the past few years, especially when Harangoady (sp) came to town.

Your first paragraph is a valid concern. The firms I've talked to will want to know why you are here. At the same time, the market isn't so full of applicants that they will straight out reject you, especially if you do well. Offices in the panhandles and near Morgantown will probably care a little less than the southern part of the states too.

ach24

Postby ach24 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:55 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:08 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Don't you think West Virginia employers might look a little suspiciously upon someone who has no previous ties to the state and comes to WVU? I say this as someone with some experience with West Virginia (my best friend from school is from there, have been to the state many times and WVU several times as well), it just seems as though West Virginians would hire someone who was committed to the state over someone who just came in from Kansas to go to law school.

Surprised by this. We haven't exactly been nice to ND the past few years, especially when Harangoady (sp) came to town.

Your first paragraph is a valid concern. The firms I've talked to will want to know why you are here. At the same time, the market isn't so full of applicants that they will straight out reject you, especially if you do well. Offices in the panhandles and near Morgantown will probably care a little less than the southern part of the states too.

Most WVU fans I know hate ND, but we get along. I've never been to WVU when they've played ND. WVU is like my second team though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”