Penn (15K/year) or UVA (25K/year)?! Please help!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA ($25K) or Penn ($15K)

UVA
77%
Penn
23%

Total votes: 22

cherry17

Penn (15K/year) or UVA (25K/year)?! Please help!

Postby cherry17 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:10 am

Ok, so the title pretty much says it all. Is the extra money at Virginia worth the ranking difference? I visited both schools briefly but did not attend admitted students days, and I'm really stuck as to what the best option is. I would like to work in D.C. when I graduate, and study abroad opportunities are important to me as well. I love that Virginia has a close community and they seem really friendly and helpful. But Penn is Ivy League and is only two and a half hours from home (vs. 7 hours for Virginia). I'm attracted to the college town of Virginia, but I also see the appeal of living in the city at Penn. Does anyone have any experience in that part of Philly or in Charlottesville? I guess I'm just trying to figure out which one will give the best overall experience. I know they're both great schools, but a sense of community is important to me. I just can't decide, but I need to tell them by 5 PM tonight!! Please help!
Last edited by cherry17 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Re: Penn (15K/year) or UVA (25K/year)?! Please help!

Postby bdubs » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:23 am

Go to UVA, it sounds like you like all of the right things about the school and Charlottesville. Also, $30k is pretty substantial.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:26 am

bdubs wrote:Go to UVA, it sounds like you like all of the right things about the school and Charlottesville. Also, $30k is pretty substantial.

Far more substantial than going to an "Ivy League" law school laypeople confuse with Penn St. You sound much more into the community and college town environment of UVA. Seriously, no luck getting Penn to up their offer?

bfaiken

Postby bfaiken » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:30 am

cherry17 wrote:Ok, so the title pretty much says it all. Is the extra money at Virginia worth the ranking difference? I visited both schools briefly but did not attend admitted students days, and I'm really stuck as to what the best option is. I would like to work in D.C. when I graduate, and study abroad opportunities are important to me as well. I love that Virginia has a close community and they seem really friendly and helpful. But Penn is Ivy League and is only two and a half hours from home (vs. 7 hours for Virginia). I'm attracted to the college town of Virginia, but I also see the appeal of living in the city at Penn. Does anyone have any experience in that part of Philly or in Charlottesville? I guess I'm just trying to figure out which one will give the best overall experience. I know they're both great schools, but a sense of community is important to me. I just can't decide, but I need to tell them by 5 PM tonight!! Please help!

I got my master's in Philly and loved living there. As cities go, it's very affordable (compared to DC, NYC, Boston). I didn't live in University City (where Penn is); I lived across the river in the Art Museum area. Lots of livable neighborhoods in the city.

The said, I turned down Penn for UVA this year. The money gap was much larger than yours, so it was a pretty easy decision. Still, I attended UVA's ASW and loved the place. If 'sense of community' is truly crucial to you, I do think you'll find that more at UVA than Penn, only because it's a strength of UVA's (not a weakness of Penn's). They're both great schools and good options for you. They both will also give you similar chances at DC. If you really have no preference one way or the other, take the $$ and come hang out with me in Charlottesville.

cherry17

Postby cherry17 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I don't know why I can't decide -- Penn and UVA are so different in terms of environment and student experience, but I just can't decide! And I did try to get Penn to up their offer, but they wouldn't, which surprised me, since Chicago gave me more $ than Penn did.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:44 pm

cherry17 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys! I don't know why I can't decide -- Penn and UVA are so different in terms of environment and student experience, but I just can't decide! And I did try to get Penn to up their offer, but they wouldn't, which surprised me, since Chicago gave me more $ than Penn did.

Go to UVA. As far as student's atmosphere, I honestly don't think they are that different. Both had really nice and helpful people and they both had a collegial vibe to them. Obviously the environments seem to be polar opposites (city vs. college town), but you say that you like the idea of a college town. As far as the rankings are concerned, the "difference" between the schools is imaginative at best. They are peer schools and I highly doubt anyone in the legal community would dispute that. Lastly, UVA is MUCH cheaper as far as living expenses are concerned. You are saving much more than the 10K/year! If there was a poll (which there should be) I'd pick UVA.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:46 pm

cherry17 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys! I don't know why I can't decide -- Penn and UVA are so different in terms of environment and student experience, but I just can't decide! And I did try to get Penn to up their offer, but they wouldn't, which surprised me, since Chicago gave me more $ than Penn did.

Go to Chicago.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:47 pm

POLL

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:49 pm

dpk711 wrote:POLL

You are someone who really feels strongly about the value of polls. I salute you!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:57 pm

Student culture and atmosphere is so different I'm kinda shocked that you can't make this decision on your own.

As far as employment is concerned, its probbably worth the extra 30k for Penn if you want to work in NYC, PA, or DE. Otherwise, its a wash.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:06 pm

rayiner wrote:

Go to Chicago.

Yeah, seriously. Btw, what's up with Penn's finaid office being so random with their $$$?

bfaiken

Postby bfaiken » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:14 pm

rayiner wrote:

Go to Chicago.

Yeah, why isn't Chicago a consideration, just out of curiosity?

cherry17

Postby cherry17 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:25 pm

I've made it a poll! And I didn't choose Chicago just because it's so far and I want to stay on the East Coast.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:25 pm

cherry17 wrote:I've made it a poll! And I didn't choose Chicago just because it's so far and I want to stay on the East Coast.

Thank you.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Well, Chicago is the winner here IMO, but given these two choices, I guess go to UVA.

cherry17

Postby cherry17 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Does anyone know if at Virginia, like Penn, you have the option to take some classes at the other graduate schools?

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:39 pm

cherry17 wrote:Does anyone know if at Virginia, like Penn, you have the option to take some classes at the other graduate schools?

Probably, but Penn's graduate schools blow UVA's out of the water. Not that this in itself should sway your decision. In your case I would choose which school you see as a better fit.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:41 pm

cherry17 wrote:Does anyone know if at Virginia, like Penn, you have the option to take some classes at the other graduate schools?

This sounds like something you could find on their website.

Also, one more vote for Chicago. Passing on T6 money to stay on the East Coast? :?

cherry17

Postby cherry17 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:59 pm

I deposited at UVA .. thank you to everyone who gave their input! I hope I made the right choice!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:32 pm

cherry17 wrote:I've made it a poll! And I didn't choose Chicago just because it's so far and I want to stay on the East Coast.

It's like a 1hr 30 minute plane ride.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”