UCLA ($$) vs Michigan ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bruinfan10

UCLA ($$) vs Michigan ($)

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:31 am

Hey all, I'm looking for advice on a decision between UCLA with a full scholarship and Michigan with a half scholarship. My career goal is to work for a DA's office in California, not go into Big Law, and the extra money at UCLA is looking pretty attractive. Any thoughts on whether the significant ranking jump at Michigan is worth foregoing 60k?

<edited for updated $$ figures>
Last edited by bruinfan10 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:28 am, edited 6 times in total.

worldtraveler

Re: UCLA ($$) vs Michigan ($)

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:36 am

This sounds like an easy decision for UCLA. If you had other goals, Michigan might be worth it, but in your case, take the money and run.

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:36 am

bruinfan10 wrote:Hey all, I'm looking for advice on a decision between UCLA with a 90k scholarship and Michigan with a 45k scholarship. My career goal is to work for a DA's office in California, not go into Big Law, and the extra money at UCLA is looking pretty attractive. Any thoughts on whether the significant ranking jump at Michigan is worth forgoing 45k?

are you in-state @ CA (useful to know COA)? norcal vs. socal preferences?
Last edited by glewz on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:38 am

I am in-state for UCLA, and my preference is to work in Norcal long term, but for my first job I'd take a Socal position. I was hoping Berkeley would match my Michigan scholarship to be honest, but their matching program is apparently broke.

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:40 am

bruinfan10 wrote:I am in-state for UCLA, and my preference is to work in Norcal long term, but for my first job I'd take a Socal position. I was hoping Berkeley would match my Michigan scholarship to be honest, but their matching program is apparently broke.

UCLA is a strong choice. In any case, it wouldn't be a bad idea to visit Mich & see how you like it. The reason for this is of course - Mich gives you market portability, so if you aren't dead set on CA...

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:53 am

For your case UCLA -- easy choice.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:39 am

yeah the price difference with instate and higher scholly and a clear pref for Cali is golden. Congrats, Bruin

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:22 am

I appreciate the input! I figured there'd be at least one rankings lover out there who'd say a jump from a school just shy of the T14 to a top-10 school would be worth it, but I guess not.

With that in mind, does anyone know if UCLA's made statements recently about increasing their tuition? One reason Michigan appeals to me is because their state isn't going through the economic downturn of a lifetime.
Last edited by bruinfan10 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:53 am

bruinfan10 wrote:I appreciate the input! I figured there'd be at least one rankings lover out there who'd say a jump from a school just shy of the T14 to a top-10 school would be worth it, but I guess you can't beat the almighty dollar. =)

With that in mind, does anyone know if UCLA's made statements recently about increasing their tuition? One reason Michigan appeals to me is because their state isn't going through the economic downturn of a lifetime.

You might want to check on this. Ever heard of Detroit?

The recent UC tuition increases are bad but the schools have a need for $ and they've figured out that for now students are willing to pay more to attend in CA. Not sure how long the increases will continue without significant effects on student quality, but I'm pretty sure it's not forever, especially with a depressed CA legal market.

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:37 am

bruinfan10 wrote:With that in mind, does anyone know if UCLA's made statements recently about increasing their tuition? One reason Michigan appeals to me is because their state isn't going through the economic downturn of a lifetime.

Duno about your question, but I just wana clarify on your reason for finding Mich an attractive option - Michigan might very well be going to an economic turmoil similar to CA (Detroit, as another poster mentioned); however, Mich does open up the midwest and gives you a much better shot at anywhere else in the US.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:42 am

glewz wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:With that in mind, does anyone know if UCLA's made statements recently about increasing their tuition? One reason Michigan appeals to me is because their state isn't going through the economic downturn of a lifetime.

Duno about your question, but I just wana clarify on your reason for finding Mich an attractive option - Michigan might very well be going to an economic turmoil similar to CA (Detroit, as another poster mentioned); however, Mich does open up the midwest and gives you a much better shot at anywhere else in the US.

:?:
What exactly is there to open up in the Midwest?

FlanAl

Re: UCLA ($$) vs Michigan ($) + Question Re: UC Tuition Hikes

Postby FlanAl » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:21 am

with in-state isn't berk at sticker about the same as out of state at mich with your scholly? dude berk's lrap is super legit and working for a DA should qualify. I know its not an option in the OP and not to d-rail your thread, but for what you want to do you should definitely go to berkeley.

bruinfan10

Re: UCLA ($$) vs Michigan ($) + Question Re: UC Tuition Hikes

Postby bruinfan10 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:34 am

I ran the COA numbers and factoring in my savings, I'm left with a 20k debt at UCLA and a 65k debt at Michigan. Given those numbers, and the fact that most California DA's office are still under a hiring freeze, the idea of going to the top-10 school and then working off the loans at a firm before heading into PI is starting to look a lot more attractive.

Does anyone think taking on 45k more in debt for Michigan over UCLA is insane? Because the more I think about it, the more I think Michigan keeps my career path and choice of legal market open.
Last edited by bruinfan10 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 83947368 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glewz

Postby glewz » Tue May 03, 2011 6:27 pm

UCLA - no CA DA office means socal biglaw is the best possible.

Mich - national prestige. DA office in other large cities, biglaw in all major cities in the US

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:31 am

glewz wrote:UCLA - no CA DA office means socal biglaw is the best possible.

Mich - national prestige. DA office in other large cities, biglaw in all major cities in the US

I'm heading out to Ann Arbor this week to visit the campus - I think the added career security at Michigan might be worth the additional investment. Thanks for all the advice!
Last edited by bruinfan10 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 04, 2011 9:06 am

No wrong choice--just two great options.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Thu May 05, 2011 11:37 am

It looks like you've become more open to other (i.e. non-CA) markets. If so, that's great and Michigan should be your choice. But if you really are set on CA, Michigan's ability to open doors in Chicago, DC, NY and so forth is not really all that valuable to you as far as I can tell. Also, if there is a serious hiring freeze in the DA's offices in CA, not sure it will matter if you are from LA or Michigan, you'll eb stuck either way.

I will admit that I am a big believer in minimizing debt - 60k is reasonable to pay off if you are doing BigLaw. If not, that's A LOT of money doing anything else.
Also, if the scholly difference is 45k, are you considering the actual COA (given you can have CA in-state)...seems like that would make UCLA relatively cheaper. (And don't forget compounding interest as you repay)

I don't see CA schools increasing tuition much more given that at a certain point students simply won't go as other great optiosn remain available for less.

All of that aside, Michigan is the beter school so if you love it, are fine with the weather, ann arbor, etc. def. go.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”