OSU deposit

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JamMasterJ

OSU deposit

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:42 pm

So I have a deposit deadline at OSU on May 1. Here's my situation:
I vastly underperformed on the LSAT - 166, 166, with PTs ranging from 172 to 174 for the most part. I only studied hard for a month and a half the first time and a month the second time so I think a large portion of my drop-off was due to lack of consistency and familiarity.
I also have personal circumstances i.e. marriage, that lead me to take a year off, so I'm retaking in October with hopes of a higher ranked school with better Chicago placement - Illinois, NU, MI or OMFG UChi. Further, I applied really late this year.
Anyway, I got into OSU, and they said that they'd defer me if I paid my deposit of like $250.
My question is this: should I pay the deposit to have a decent safety school on lock for next year? Or would this be a waste of money? My numbers are non-URM 3.5/166, 166. And would OSU be pissed if I sent another application next cycle instead of depositing?

glitter178

Re: OSU deposit

Postby glitter178 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:46 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:So I have a deposit deadline at OSU on May 1. Here's my situation:
I vastly underperformed on the LSAT - 166, 166, with PTs ranging from 172 to 174 for the most part. I only studied hard for a month and a half the first time and a month the second time so I think a large portion of my drop-off was due to lack of consistency and familiarity.
I also have personal circumstances i.e. marriage, that lead me to take a year off, so I'm retaking in October with hopes of a higher ranked school with better Chicago placement - Illinois, NU, MI or OMFG UChi. Further, I applied really late this year.
Anyway, I got into OSU, and they said that they'd defer me if I paid my deposit of like $250.
My question is this: should I pay the deposit to have a decent safety school on lock for next year? Or would this be a waste of money? My numbers are non-URM 3.5/166, 166. And would OSU be pissed if I sent another application next cycle instead of depositing?

some deferments are binding. i'd check to see if OSU's is.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:08 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:So I have a deposit deadline at OSU on May 1. Here's my situation:

yeah find out if it is binding, if it is, forget it, just achieve what you did on your practice tests and you are golden, will be looking at much better options than OSU

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Sorry I forgot to mention that. It's not binding, but it would obviously be a lot more than the $47 that another application would cost.

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:36 pm

I imagine if you re-applied next year, you'd be a lock regardless of putting down a deposit this year. I'd save the money in case you scored higher on the LSAT or got a better deal from applying earlier elsewhere. I'm not sure if they'd hold it against you next year if you simply said "I decided to withdraw my applications last year to concentrate on my wedding." Seems doubtful that they would.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 pm

chrisnashville wrote:I imagine if you re-applied next year, you'd be a lock regardless of putting down a deposit this year. I'd save the money in case you scored higher on the LSAT or got a better deal from applying earlier elsewhere. I'm not sure if they'd hold it against you next year if you simply said "I decided to withdraw my applications last year to concentrate on my wedding." Seems doubtful that they would.

Thanks Chris, you decide to go to IU?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”