Univ. of Washington v. UC Hastings

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
toothpaste

Univ. of Washington v. UC Hastings

Postby toothpaste » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:09 pm

Does the ranking of UW Law put it at an advantage in both prestige and job opportunities over UC Hastings? My fiance is in the Bay Area with a well-paying job, so I do feel pressured to attend UC Hastings because of this. I don't know if it's worth it to make him move and risk his high paying job to go to Seattle for only a small jump in the rankings. I wouldn't mind working in either Seattle or SF/Bay Area after graduation, although cost of living wise, Seattle would probably be a better choice. Also, I've heard that the SF legal market is not doing too well, and don't know if it'll affect job opportunities in the next 3-4 years.

JamMasterJ

Re: Univ. of Washington v. UC Hastings

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

The biggest difference is competition. UW has much less of it than Hastings. When comparing schools outside the top 20 or so, this is one of the biggest criteria

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:31 pm

U-Dub is considerably cheaper at sticker than Hastings, even in-state, isn't it? I can't BELIEVE what the UC system gets for a J.D. these days.

Anyway...the impression one gets is that the only job market worse on the West Coast than the Bay Area is Puget Sound. Who knows whether it's true or will be true in 3-4 years? UW dominates the Pacific Northwest market. I get the feeling from what I read that Hastings will sell as well or better everywhere else in the country. Rankings aren't everything.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:41 pm

It's difficult.

Neither is worth a ton of debt, and neither has amazing job prospects. My recommendation is to limit your debt at almost all costs. In your case, I would pay a little extra for Hastings because of your significant other. But just because it's worth more doesn't mean that it's worth $100,000+ of debt.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Hesitate to ask this, but...did the OP apply to Stanford?

toothpaste

Postby toothpaste » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:37 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Hesitate to ask this, but...did the OP apply to Stanford?

No, I didn't, but I did think about transferring as an option if I went to UC Hastings. Of course, that is if I really dislike my time at Hastings.

I understand that UW might be more advantageous in terms of finding employment in the Seattle area since it is the best school in the area, but when I was searching at BigLaw, and other job opportunities, it seems like SF/Bay Area has a lot more opportunities available since there are more law firms, companies, non-profits, and even more government agencies, etc. I would think this would put UC Hastings in a better position in terms of job prospects, even if it has to compete with other Bay Area schools? Also, what are your thoughts on UC Hastings rankings/reputation in the coming years? I know that UC Hastings has been stagnant in the ratings for the last few years, but any chance that the administration has recognized this and feels the threat from the rise in ratings of area schools like UC Davis?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:34 pm

toothpaste wrote:
BeautifulSW wrote:Hesitate to ask this, but...did the OP apply to Stanford?

No, I didn't, but I did think about transferring as an option if I went to UC Hastings. Of course, that is if I really dislike my time at Hastings.

I understand that UW might be more advantageous in terms of finding employment in the Seattle area since it is the best school in the area, but when I was searching at BigLaw, and other job opportunities, it seems like SF/Bay Area has a lot more opportunities available since there are more law firms, companies, non-profits, and even more government agencies, etc. I would think this would put UC Hastings in a better position in terms of job prospects, even if it has to compete with other Bay Area schools? Also, what are your thoughts on UC Hastings rankings/reputation in the coming years? I know that UC Hastings has been stagnant in the ratings for the last few years, but any chance that the administration has recognized this and feels the threat from the rise in ratings of area schools like UC Davis?

ranking doesn't matter in relation to hastings; it's all about the tight bay area economy that has hurt employment numbers. hastings is still very highly regarded by judges and lawyers, and very well connected to the bay area.

as for the rankings, they didn't care much about it until recently (new dean, frank wu, has recognized this as an issue). they seem to be making some effort and are aware of davis' rapidly rising rank despite being extremely comparable in all respects. they are planning on cutting class size down a bit, and they have started using some kind of methodology to determine how their usnews rankings will be affected based upon new decisions.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”