NYU v. Berkeley for public interest (LGBT rights) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
geovincent

New

NYU v. Berkeley for public interest (LGBT rights)

Post by geovincent » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:27 am

Hey folks,

I've read these forums for a while but only just registered. Like everyone else, I need to decide where I'm going by Monday. I've been admitted to my top two choices, NYU and Berkeley, and enjoyed them both when I visited, though neither offered me any financial aid beyond loans. (Thank goodness they both have good LRAPs.)

My career goal is to work in LGBT rights (though I'm aware I may not get to do that straight out of law school). I'm concerned with my career after school, but also very much quality of life while I'm there, since I'm five years out of college and will be relocating my boyfriend. We'll both need three years that aren't completely miserable. (He's in music, and he'll need to be able to find a job.)

I really liked Berkeley but worry that being from the East Coast will make logistics difficult, especially since it seems most of the internships I'll want will be in New York, and almost everyone I know is in the New York area. That said, I also really enjoyed the Bay Area when I visited and can see myself (and my boyfriend) being happy there. I'm aware NYU is higher-ranked, but I'm not sure how much that actually matters, and I'm much more concerned about being happy and being able to find a decent job, not going for whatever's most prestigious.

One other wrinkle is that I'm waitlisted at Yale, and while I'm aware it's highly unlikely I'll get off the list, I'd kind of like to stay on it. Berkeley requires that I take myself off of it, while NYU doesn't seem to.

Any advice for someone who's on the fence?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Re: NYU v. Berkeley for public interest (LGBT rights)

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:11 am

What kind of LGBT rights exactly? Do you have specific places in mind where you'd like to work?

I think Berkeley just hired a new prof on LGBT and constitutional stuff. Ironically though, considering it's Berkeley, we don't have a very active Queer Caucus or LGBT group if that is a concern.

Are you interested in international LGBT rights? Berkeley is partnered with groups in El Salvador that are starting a legal clinic for LGBT Salvadorans and students in the human rights clinic are working on helping get the clinic started.

Will Yale tell you where you are on the waitlist or if there is any ranking?

geovincent

New

Post by geovincent » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:28 am

Thanks for responding!

My ideal is to work for the ACLU. I think I'm more interested in civil rights in the US, but I speak fluent French (or I did a couple years ago, at least) and am interested in French West Africa too.

I'm unsure whether i'd like to do litigation or direct services, but I imagine I'll figure that out while I'm in school.

Oh, and Yale says it doesn't rank the waitlist. I'm visiting the school Friday to make sure I'm actually interested in it.

bob77

New

Post by bob77 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:54 am

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:03 pm

Your boyfriend would probably have an easier time finding a job in NY. One of my coworkers is involved with the music scene in SF, and she is looking to move because she does not feel it is very good here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”