HELP!!! Lewis & Clark or University of Denver?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pick:

University of Denver (COA: $25k/year)
85%
Lewis & Clark (COA: $54k/year)
15%

Total votes: 27

bakerka2

HELP!!! Lewis & Clark or University of Denver?

Postby bakerka2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:20 pm

So I have to decide within the next few days... University of Denver or Lewis & Clark. $20k to Denver, was waiting to hear about a scholarship to Lewis & Clark but just found out yesterday they ran out of money, so unless some funds get freed up this summer, I'm paying sticker. I am SUPER disappointed. When I visited L&C it felt like such a good fit, I really had the 'gut' feeling about going there over Denver. But now I just don't know if it's worth paying basically double. I did like Denver when I visited, but then I went to Portland and fell in love with that school... I live in Denver right now, I do like it, but Portland seems more interesting... but I was there for a day so what do I know... Thoughts? Should I just go with the cheaper option?

mrwarre85

Re: HELP!!! Lewis & Clark or University of Denver?

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Voted for DU. Pay the seat deposit at both and wait out a scholly at Lewis and Clark.

bakerka2

Postby bakerka2 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:35 am

mrwarre85 wrote:Voted for DU. Pay the seat deposit at both and wait out a scholly at Lewis and Clark.

That's kind of what I've been thinking.

lmaccaro

Postby lmaccaro » Tue May 08, 2012 4:55 pm

I was in your position about a month ago. Same dilemma. I loved L&C but got more money to Denver. I liked Denver a lot(can't beat 300 days of sun compared to 90 in Portland), but there was something about L&C that I just couldn't shake. I risked it and sent my deposit to L&C...they ended up matching my scholarship to Denver. I hope this helps, and I hope things work out for the best!! Either way, you can't go wrong. They are both great schools and phenomenal cities-however different.

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Is your cost of attendance including living expenses?

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue May 08, 2012 5:10 pm

I fell in love with L&C but was only offered 10k/year. I'm will be going to a less-exciting school in the Midwest that I really like but do not love.

At the end of the day, consider that six-figure debt from L&C is probably not worth it. Portland is such a small legal market.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Tue May 08, 2012 5:36 pm

The numbers you post indicate that you would have minimal COL expenses if you went to DU, while you would be paying $13K per year in COL at L&C on top of an extra $20K per year in tuition. That adds up to an extra $90K for L&C, which is more like $105K if you're debt-financing it.

That price difference should take L&C completely out of consideration.

(BTW law schools never "run out of money" in terms of offering tuition breaks. The reason L&C isn't offering you a break off sticker is they think they can fill this seat at full price. If they can't they'll suddenly have more "money" to offer it for less).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Sit out a year & apply to the University of Victoria. (Incredible natural & man-made beauty & low cost compared to US law schools--although Int'l tuition might equal that of US law schools.)

Probably better to select a law school based on employment prospects if you have to invest six figures.

P.S. The answer seems clear: Denver, but feel free to vacation in Portland.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue May 08, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:57 pm

What is your ties situation, OP? I'm wondering b/c you mentioned that you currently live in Denver. I've read on here that Portland is pretty insular. If your ties are to Denver and not Portland, this seems like a no-brainer when you consider the COA difference.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”