If I have to go to a T4... Cooley or Cal Western

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
worldtraveler

Re: If I have to go to a T4... Cooley or Cal Western

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:13 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
l_dog03 wrote: My Cooley loans after 1L would be around 30K including COL.

Are you fucking crazy?!?

esq wrote:Know a guy from UG that went to Cooley, moved from San Diego to do so. Was super stoked, and convinced that Cooley wouldn't hold him back, that it really depended on the person [his work ethic (I never really thought he had any), personality (super flashy wanna be important Econ major), etc., would carry the day.] Last time I talked to him and his wife all they could say was the the experience has been "interesting," code for shitty. He is about the graduate, and while his FB info proudly posted that he was going to Cooley Law a few months ago, all mention of this has now been erased from his account. Almost 3 years and 100dredsK in debt and he is finally waking up the the miserable reality of his predicament. Hopefully he can get his job back at the bank he used to work for.

In a related story, I recall joking with my parents about Cooley law a few years ago, and then told them it’s the worst school in the nation. That weekend, my parent’s friends are over and they drop that their kid went to Cooley. So I ask them how much money he made. They said he made $45k /year and he had graduated a couple years ago. So then I asked whether he had a good scholarship, and they told me he paid full price :shock:. I had a difficult time restraining myself from laughing right then and there. But keep in mind this story is about a guy who graduated from Cooley around the boom (i.e. around 2006, I believe). I highly doubt he would have any form of legal employment coming out in today’s legal economy – actually, I know a guy who went to Cooley who has a pretty shocking story. I don’t want to post up details because it’s difficult to do so without pretty much outing who the guy is, but pretty much, guy did INCREDIBLY WELL at Cooley and still had a difficult time scraping up a job for nearly a year, and now he works in a smaller shitlaw firm. If this guy had that much difficulty scraping up shitlaw, just think about how the rest of Cooley’s class is faring ITE.

You and your parents sound like jackasses based on this story.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:56 am

romothesavior wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:In a related story, I recall joking with my parents about Cooley law a few years ago, and then told them it’s the worst school in the nation. That weekend, my parent’s friends are over and they drop that their kid went to Cooley. So I ask them how much money he made. They said he made $45k /year and he had graduated a couple years ago. So then I asked whether he had a good scholarship, and they told me he paid full price :shock:. I had a difficult time restraining myself from laughing right then and there. But keep in mind this story is about a guy who graduated from Cooley around the boom (i.e. around 2006, I believe). I highly doubt he would have any form of legal employment coming out in today’s legal economy – actually, I know a guy who went to Cooley who has a pretty shocking story. I don’t want to post up details because it’s difficult to do so without pretty much outing who the guy is, but pretty much, guy did INCREDIBLY WELL at Cooley and still had a difficult time scraping up a job for nearly a year, and now he works in a smaller shitlaw firm. If this guy had that much difficulty scraping up shitlaw, just think about how the rest of Cooley’s class is faring ITE.

+1, I'm sure it is terrible. I would be absolutely shocked if >10% of their class ever works as a permanent, full-time attorney.

Also, who does the bolded?

<-- This guy :lol:

worldtraveler wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
Are you fucking crazy?!?

esq wrote:Know a guy from UG that went to Cooley, moved from San Diego to do so. Was super stoked, and convinced that Cooley wouldn't hold him back, that it really depended on the person [his work ethic (I never really thought he had any), personality (super flashy wanna be important Econ major), etc., would carry the day.] Last time I talked to him and his wife all they could say was the the experience has been "interesting," code for shitty. He is about the graduate, and while his FB info proudly posted that he was going to Cooley Law a few months ago, all mention of this has now been erased from his account. Almost 3 years and 100dredsK in debt and he is finally waking up the the miserable reality of his predicament. Hopefully he can get his job back at the bank he used to work for.

In a related story, I recall joking with my parents about Cooley law a few years ago, and then told them it’s the worst school in the nation. That weekend, my parent’s friends are over and they drop that their kid went to Cooley. So I ask them how much money he made. They said he made $45k /year and he had graduated a couple years ago. So then I asked whether he had a good scholarship, and they told me he paid full price :shock:. I had a difficult time restraining myself from laughing right then and there. But keep in mind this story is about a guy who graduated from Cooley around the boom (i.e. around 2006, I believe). I highly doubt he would have any form of legal employment coming out in today’s legal economy – actually, I know a guy who went to Cooley who has a pretty shocking story. I don’t want to post up details because it’s difficult to do so without pretty much outing who the guy is, but pretty much, guy did INCREDIBLY WELL at Cooley and still had a difficult time scraping up a job for nearly a year, and now he works in a smaller shitlaw firm. If this guy had that much difficulty scraping up shitlaw, just think about how the rest of Cooley’s class is faring ITE.

[/quote]

You wouldn't be the first person to call me an asshole :wink: . I really don't care though.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:09 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Tue May 17, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:22 pm

red_alertz wrote:
bk1 wrote:
red_alertz wrote:but based on the assumption that is said in the title of the thread, assuming OP has to go to a T4, which school? can we say cal western?

If somebody has a gun to OP's head and is forcing them then Cal Western. But until I see proof of this being a life or death decision, nobody has to go to a T4.

simply an assumption based on the thread and what OP was asking about, strictly answering OPs original question, obviously it's helpful to bring in outside info, but between the two T4s, cal western is much better

I question your understanding of the phrase "much better"

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:58 pm

worldtraveler wrote:You and your parents sound like jackasses based on this story.

Why his parents?

Oh well, I do agree that this was a pretty lame thing to ask the parents, but it is relevant to this thread. 45k/year would be phenomenal coming out of Cooley today.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:08 pm

kublaikahn wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
Are you fucking crazy?!?

You wouldn't be the first person to call me an asshole :wink: . I really don't care though.

That's because you are a narcissist.

Who asks someones parents how much money they make? Who laughs at someone elses misfortune?

I do.

kublaikahn wrote:Someone from the bottom rung of society who compares himself to everyone around him. You are the guy in the office that needs to know how much everyone makes--totem pole mentality.

I’m okay with that.

kublaikahn wrote:The fact that WUSTL dinged you in three hours reflects well on their ability to judge character.

Fuck WUSTL.

OP- Sorry about the derailing of the thread. Nonetheless, I think the outside stories I brought in and the one that the other dude brought in are useful insight as to how much of a TTT Cooley is, and why you shouldn’t go there (and especially not at $30k /year – that’s just crazy). Let’s get the thread back on track guys.

esq

Postby esq » Sun May 01, 2011 12:23 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:In a related story, I recall joking with my parents about Cooley law a few years ago, and then told them it’s the worst school in the nation. That weekend, my parent’s friends are over and they drop that their kid went to Cooley. So I ask them how much money he made. They said he made $45k /year and he had graduated a couple years ago. So then I asked whether he had a good scholarship, and they told me he paid full price :shock:. I had a difficult time restraining myself from laughing right then and there. But keep in mind this story is about a guy who graduated from Cooley around the boom (i.e. around 2006, I believe). I highly doubt he would have any form of legal employment coming out in today’s legal economy – actually, I know a guy who went to Cooley who has a pretty shocking story. I don’t want to post up details because it’s difficult to do so without pretty much outing who the guy is, but pretty much, guy did INCREDIBLY WELL at Cooley and still had a difficult time scraping up a job for nearly a year, and now he works in a smaller shitlaw firm. If this guy had that much difficulty scraping up shitlaw, just think about how the rest of Cooley’s class is faring ITE.

I'm surprised that more people aren't interested in the bolded to be honest. TBF, if we are all honest with ourselves, I think that we've all ran into Cooley horror stories and react somewhat similarly. When I tell people I'm going to law school, it always starts out with, and and these are real incidents, my brother, brother in law, cousin, went to law school and either flunked out (brother), can't find any work which lead to hard times and a divorce (brother in law), couldn't pass the bar (cousin).

Based on these incidents, the conversations usually go something like: "Law schools a crock," they say. A bit freaked out, the next question I inevitably ask is "where did they go?" "They went to a school in Michigan," they will say. Trying to be optimistic, I always respond, "Wow, U Mich, that's a great school." "No," they say, "It was a school with some guys name." "Thomas Cooley?," I will ask. "That's the one."

I let them continue with their stories, and its usually about what a hard experience their super smart relative had, and how I should be careful. While I am relieved, and there really isn't any good reason to point out the differences between my school and Cooley, I understand where XxSpy is coming from. I honestly thought that XXSpy's stories were more optimistic than any that I have heard so far. At least they found jobs. And while XxSpy is openly honest when he says he almost laughed, I can't say that it's totally out of the ordinary - I am at least inwardly relieved when I hear that these people went to Cooley and not UMich.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun May 01, 2011 12:27 am

My cousin's ex-girlfriend went to Cooley. She got a job as a PD and seems to like it, but she told me most of her friends were not so fortunate. She kept telling me how terrible law school employment is over and over, and I said yes I know, and she seemed to imply that somehow her experience with law school would be just like mine and seemed to be almost talking down to me, as if I had no idea what I was getting myself into. At this point, I had T14 acceptances and big T20 scholarships (this was last year) and I already knew all of the crap she was telling me. I wanted to say so badly, "Yes, I know the legal economy is bad, but it would have been a hell of a lot better for you if you hadn't gone to the worst law school in the country." I bit my tongue though.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Sun May 01, 2011 12:44 am

Last edited by kublaikahn on Tue May 17, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sun May 01, 2011 12:58 am

I thought I posted this in this thread, but actually posted it in the other Cooley thread:

I have a friend who got chopped out of Cooley after the first year. He went to California and enrolled in a correspondence law school. He passed the baby bar and now is preparing for the real bar. He is only paying 2k a year for his legal education, lives in his parents' basement, and has no debt.

This should be your option.

You could use your eventual law degree and parents equity to get some kind of SBA loan and start a firm, employee real out of work lawyers to do actual legal work and make $$$ doing nothing but watch others work for you. You could also employ business school interns to work for you for free to handle finances, marketing, a website, etc.

I'm sure 90% of those who you interview for jobs will run away when they realize you have no experience or clients, but the desperate ones wont ask you.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun May 01, 2011 1:01 am

kublaikahn wrote:I am occasionally asked to counsel people who are trying to do something difficult. I have a neighbor who struggled in high school, never went to college, and now at 35 decides he wants to be a pharmacist. I hate to shoot down his dreams, so I just keep my mouth shut. The good news is there is no "Cooley" to falsly promise a "back door" into the pharmacy profession (I think).

Some people are just not meant to be lawyers.

umm: http://www.pharmacytimes.com/publicatio ... sNote-0210
we are pumping too many pharmacists into the equation while the other variables are remaining constant or only increasing at a slower pace

..basically, ITE nothing is going to a golden ticket. engineers are suffering. finance people are suffering. we have too much education in the country and we don't produce enough. having a nation in which everyone is in the service industry is not sustainable.

esq

Postby esq » Sun May 01, 2011 1:19 am

gwuorbust wrote:..basically, ITE nothing is going to a golden ticket. engineers are suffering. finance people are suffering. we have too much education in the country and we don't produce enough. having a nation in which everyone is in the service industry is not sustainable.

Scary, but true. My grandpa used to be a part of the, now extinct, production sector. With nothing but a high school diploma he started a family, 5 big, and got to work. He owned a 5 bedroom house (they were smaller back in the late 50's when he bought, but still) in a nice suburban area that bordered L.A./Orange County, a boat, truck, a sweet Pontiac, and when he died he left my grandma with millions in stock that he had placed in Sears over his life without telling her. He lived the American dream. That dream is dead now.

Postby 071816 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:26 am

Neither.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”