OSU vs. Wake Forest Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rmdxthx

New

OSU vs. Wake Forest

Post by Rmdxthx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:31 pm

So after waiting for 3 months, I finally received an offer (scholarship: $12000/y) from OSU this morning. Before that I almost decided to go to Wake, which offered me $20000 /y, but it never hurts to think twice when you've got an additional option (and I've got an impression that OSU Moritz College is overall a better law school). Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

PS:
1.I don‘t care much about locations. Both will be OK for me.
2. For certain reasons, I must attend law school this year, so I'm not planning to retake LSAT and wait for next cycle.

moandersen

Silver

Re: OSU vs. Wake Forest

Post by moandersen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:44 pm

Having lived in both Ohio and North Carolina, I would choose Wake hands down. No way would I want to be stuck in the state of Ohio. Prospects may probably be better at OSU admittedly, but QOL is very important to me, and in my opinion it is very high in NC. Full disclosure though, I am a Wake student (with a scholarship comparable to yours) but originally from the midwest - though I hate OSU with a passion due to my love for Michigan football.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:53 pm

I'd go to WF because of the weather... But are you OOS for Ohio? What is the CoA for each?
Last edited by scammedhard on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:53 pm

OSU is more prestigious and probably offers future opportunities

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:09 pm

I would go to Wake. You can work throughout the Carolinas. Carolinas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ohio. If you finish top twenty percent at OSU though, you could certainly live somewhere else.

Can't go wrong really both are good schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:12 pm

I'd take OSU financially. Columbus isn't a bad town at all and there is more than enough to keep you occupied. Around the law schools is a pretty bad area so just invest in a firearm.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:30 pm

NC>Ohio. I wasnt aware the OSU pulled such significant weight that you guys are giving it a discernible placement advantage over Wake.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Ohio gets a bad rep but it is a nice state, at least on par with north carolina, OSU is pretty dominant there while Wake is third tier behind duke/UNC

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:47 pm

red_alertz wrote:Ohio gets a bad rep but it is a nice state, at least on par with north carolina, OSU is pretty dominant there while Wake is third tier behind duke/UNC
And you're basing this off what ? Last I checked they seemed to be even in the NLJ+clerkships category. I know that isnt everything but I cant imagine OSU smashing wake in everything else....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:48 pm

Columbus is a very nice city. I would take OSU.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:51 pm

red_alertz wrote:Ohio gets a bad rep but it is a nice state, at least on par with north carolina, OSU is pretty dominant there while Wake is third tier behind duke/UNC

What a troll

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Stonewall wrote:

What a troll
UNC has ranked in the 20's before though has fallen recently is still ahead of wake, and duke is elite, so

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:02 pm

red_alertz wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

What a troll
UNC has ranked in the 20's before though has fallen recently is still ahead of wake, and duke is elite, so
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:59 pm

red_alertz wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

What a troll
You give some of the worst information/advice on this forum. Mods should put a disclaimer next to everything you post so some naive kid doesnt take your posts seriously. I never call anyone out on these boards, but you are a horrible troll.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:04 pm

moandersen wrote:
red_alertz wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

What a troll
You give some of the worst information/advice on this forum. Mods should put a disclaimer next to everything you post so some naive kid doesnt take your posts seriously. I never call anyone out on these boards, but you are a horrible troll.
please stay on topic, and please do point out where in what i said is wrong, is UNC not higher ranked, is Duke not elite

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:05 pm

moandersen wrote:
also please do not pick on me, it is rude and makes me feel terrible, all i am doing is trying to provide some information, yet i am being labeled as a troll or what not

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:08 pm

*blows brains out*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Sandro wrote:*blows brains out*
no i am serious, please tell me why wake isn't third tier behind duke/unc

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:33 pm

red_alertz wrote:
Duke wins, clearly, however the great majority of dookies choose to go out of state, so it barely should even count into the equation.

UNC
65% employed at graduation
11.8% in NLJ 250

Wake
80% employed at graduation
15% in NLJ 250

A ten spot difference in the rankings after the T20 is not a good sole reason to choose one school over another. A lot of the decision for UNC vs. Wake has to do with your preferences (cost of attendance, preference for Public Interest, etc...) but I disagree with you if you categorically say Wake is third-tier behind UNC.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:36 pm

red_alertz wrote:
How about you tell me why you think UNC is on a higher tier than Wake.

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Sandro wrote:
red_alertz wrote:
Haven't you ever heard of the US News & World Report, Sandro? If they say one school is ranked higher than another one then that means the higher ranked school is objectively superior in every aspect when compared to the lower ranked school. /end sarcasm

OP: Are you in-state for OSU? If so, OSU will cost about $15k less than Wake for three years tuition. If not, OSU will cost about $35k more than Wake over three years. If you are IS for OSU, I think you should go there. If not, go to Wake.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Sandro wrote:
red_alertz wrote:
i guess tier is the wrong word to use, i was using it as an expression, what i meant to say is, and i am sure you understand what i was trying to say, is that Wake ranks behind duke/UNC, and although UNC now ranks only slightly higher, it used to rank quite a bit higher, so there's more prestige associated with duke/UNC than Wake

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:49 pm

Rmdxthx wrote:So after waiting for 3 months, I finally received an offer (scholarship: $12000/y) from OSU this morning. Before that I almost decided to go to Wake, which offered me $20000 /y, but it never hurts to think twice when you've got an additional option (and I've got an impression that OSU Moritz College is overall a better law school). Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

PS:
1.I don‘t care much about locations. Both will be OK for me.
2. For certain reasons, I must attend law school this year, so I'm not planning to retake LSAT and wait for next cycle.
Are you white?
It`s really important. If you are not white, then you should definitely go OSU.

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:50 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
Sandro wrote:
red_alertz wrote:
Haven't you ever heard of the US News & World Report, Sandro? If they say one school is ranked higher than another one then that means the higher ranked school is objectively superior in every aspect when compared to the lower ranked school. /end sarcasm

OP: Are you in-state for OSU? If so, OSU will cost about $15k less than Wake for three years tuition. If not, OSU will cost about $35k more than Wake over three years. If you are IS for OSU, I think you should go there. If not, go to Wake.
Why 35k?

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:54 pm

baboon309 wrote:Why 35k?
OSU out-of-state tuition is just over $41k. $12k scholarship makes it $29k per year. Wake tuition is $38k. $20k scholarship to Wake makes it $18k per year. So, the math wasn't perfect when I did it in my head, it's probably closer to $33k and some change. As the old saying goes, "horse shoes, hand grenades and law school tuition estimates..."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”