Got into UCLA and Cornell, was going to Texas - Now what?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jenesaislaw

Re: Got into UCLA and Cornell, was going to Texas - Now what?

Postby jenesaislaw » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:06 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:Back in 2008 Cornell matched my UT scholarship within $900.

Damn! I'm guessing you went Cornell? Any regrets?

Went to Vanderbilt. No regrets.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:18 pm

I think I can safely assume that each of you have lived in Texas your whole life. Im not saying its not fun, its just not amazing. Behind the times a little, the "weird" thing is annoying. Its a college town, and sadly thats about all it is in my mind.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:41 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:I think I can safely assume that each of you have lived in Texas your whole life. Im not saying its not fun, its just not amazing. Behind the times a little, the "weird" thing is annoying. Its a college town, and sadly thats about all it is in my mind.

Huh? What leads you to assume that? I'm from Austin but have lived in 2 major cities outside the state (and region).

To you it's a college town, but that might be b/c you came here for college. I don't know many college towns that are home to as much industry as we have in Austin. The "keep Austin weird" slogan is really a marketing gimick, and I will concede that there are some idiots running around here embracing that motto literally. But Austin is absolutely a major player in many progressive movements, especially when it comes to health, music and politics. Whole Foods is from here, and we have a huge cycling contingent as well as a very politically active community. Combine that with the high-tech industry, and I'm really not sure how you could describe Austin as being behind the times. It may lack some cutting edge fashion and dining options such as you would find in NY/LA/SF, but I'm not too concerned about sacrificing those consumerist amenities, anyway.

I love Cali, and I would absolutely consider living there. I would probably prefer most of Cali to Austin, actually, but that's a tough comparison. California (and the West coast as a whole) is a beautiful and fun part of the country, and I think it trumps all else. Aside from the West coast, however, I think Austin is one of the more desirable cities in the country. Definitely better than any place in FL, IMO.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Having lived in Westwood the past year, and with no particular Texan bias, I urge you at least not to choose UCLA over UT. The quality of life in Austin will be better. UCLA itself is great but Westwood is just a boring conglomerate of overpriced eateries inhabited by elderly snobs and young douchey trust fund babies Persians. Moreover, Los Angeles is just urban sprawl, it is not a true city (for such a huge place, how is there no real subway??).

Aside from my respective views of Austin/Westwood, UCLA tuition will rise (widely recognized) while UT's will remain constant (Dean Seager promised a tuition ceiling for class of 2014).

Cornell is a different story. If Cornell offers you some $$, then that's a difficult decision only you can make. Cornell is definitely the best option for your placement interests (Penn too...), but the difference is not worth paying sticker IMO. Also, although the NJL placement stats differ greatly, keep in mind a bit of self-selection bias. Texas' student body is by state law 65% Texan, and it's safe to assume most of those students look to secure work within Texas (not Big-Law gunners).

TL;DR Version: Texas > UCLA, Texas $$ > Cornell sticker, Cornell $$ > Texas $$.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:36 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:

Really? Did they give you even more money? Vandy offered me a deal almost identical to UT, but I kind of crossed it off after visiting (great school, but I liked UT's larger class size and Austin more than Nashville).

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:53 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:

Really? Did they give you even more money? Vandy offered me a deal almost identical to UT, but I kind of crossed it off after visiting (great school, but I liked UT's larger class size and Austin more than Nashville).

It was negligibly larger - it didn't make a difference in my decision.

I had the opposite experience. I visited UT and crossed it off immediately. Despite loving the state (lived in both Dallas and San Antonio), I just did not like Austin. Felt run down, and so did the school. Nashville, on the other hand, I fell in love with. I still love it after three years. I also preferred the smaller class size.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:05 pm

FWIW Bill Simmons always seems to pimp Austin.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm tempted to say Cornell at sticker would win. Fortunately, you'll probably get some money from them if you alert them of UCLA and Texas's $. Enjoy being a BIG RED! 8)

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:I'd take UT over Cornell all day, even at the same price. The 58% # is great, but don't forget how much the NYC COL is, and the type of student who goes to Cornell (willing to suck up living in hell for 3 years to get a good job).

lol sorry you didn't get in. :lol:

saladfiend

Postby saladfiend » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:41 pm

UCLA's early OCI list last summer as of mid-July. The list may have been longer by August. As you can see, there are many San Francisco firms. There is also some sort of special New York program.

--LinkRemoved--

Also, LA is great—great weather, great food. Yes, there is traffic and the subway doesn't go to the West Side. But that is not a good reason not to go to UCLA.

Also, if you have any interest in practicing in California, don't go to UT. I have never met an attorney who went to UT in California. I know attorneys who went to UCLA in New York and DC. In fact, one of New York's senators (Gillibrand) went to UCLA Law.
Last edited by saladfiend on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:42 pm

I didn't read anything, but, go to UT. You'll be glad you did.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:02 am

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
bfaiken wrote:I think it really depends on how strong your desire to practice in the NE is. You say you don't need to, but that's what it really comes down to. Cornell gives you a much better chance at that than either UT or UCLA. I can't quantify that for you. If you think you'd be satisfied living in Texas long-term and going into one of the major markets there, then I would choose that and avoid the debt. If not, you should probably look elsewhere.

I also have to admit that Cornell's placement from the recent NLJ 250 numbers (58%!!!!!!) versus Texas and their 26%, is also giving me something to think about.

Next year for Cornell was around 40%, don't get too excited.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:23 am

You say you got an offer from Vandy? I say take the money at Vandy if you want the NE. It has better reach there than UT and UCLA and will be much cheaper than Cornell. It's a great compromise IMO. Sure, you don't like the city, but you'll be studying 95% of the time anyway.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:13 pm

rad law wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:
bfaiken wrote:I think it really depends on how strong your desire to practice in the NE is. You say you don't need to, but that's what it really comes down to. Cornell gives you a much better chance at that than either UT or UCLA. I can't quantify that for you. If you think you'd be satisfied living in Texas long-term and going into one of the major markets there, then I would choose that and avoid the debt. If not, you should probably look elsewhere.

I also have to admit that Cornell's placement from the recent NLJ 250 numbers (58%!!!!!!) versus Texas and their 26%, is also giving me something to think about.

But still better than UT or UCLA...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:29 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
rad law wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:

But still better than UT or UCLA...

Not $76,500 better.

david787

Postby david787 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:35 pm

I've lived in West LA, Ithaca and Austin. They are all great places to spend 3 years. Don't let that be your deciding factor. You probably can't go wrong with either of the three, if you know you want to build a career in TX UT will be the best however all three schools have national recognition. I would much rather build a career in TX after law school, low cost of living plus no state income tax plus a growing economy compared to CA's great weather...

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Rory1987 wrote:You say you got an offer from Vandy? I say take the money at Vandy if you want the NE. It has better reach there than UT and UCLA and will be much cheaper than Cornell. It's a great compromise IMO. Sure, you don't like the city, but you'll be studying 95% of the time anyway.

Studying 95% of the time? I study like 5% of the time.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:37 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:I think I can safely assume that each of you have lived in Texas your whole life. Im not saying its not fun, its just not amazing. Behind the times a little, the "weird" thing is annoying. Its a college town, and sadly thats about all it is in my mind.

i have to agree that you're doing it wrong lol. as someone who is currently living in Boston, and lived in LA, and Houston, i like austin the most by far. but this is all sort of personal preference right? just generally, 9/10 ppl i talk to about austin love it (and these are ppl from all over, tho most from TX, no idea if they've lived elsewhere), so you must be that 1 lol. tbf tho, austin is a college town. iunno if id pick it if i were 30, 35 yrs+.

answer for OP is primarily based on where he wants to practice after graduating imo. UCLA seems like a bad choice though lol...unless of course OP's goal is to practice in LA or something. in which case, UCLA would receive a huge bump. OP just doesnt seem to care where he practices though.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:46 pm

saladfiend wrote:I have never met an attorney who went to UT in California

Since UT does not have a satellite campus in California, it's probably downright impossible to go to UT in California. OP, you can only go to UT in Texas. You're welcome.

Edit: Not being so snide, UT can travel to Cali. I work at a small firm in Los Angeles that's 50% UT law grads.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:37 pm

Cade McNown wrote:

Since UT does not have a satellite campus in California, it's probably downright impossible to go to UT in California. OP, you can only go to UT in Texas. You're welcome.

Edit: Not being so snide, UT can travel to Cali. I work at a small firm in Los Angeles that's 50% UT law grads.

But what you're not sharing is that there are only two lawyers there. :twisted:

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:23 am

jenesaislaw wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:

But what you're not sharing is that there are only two lawyers there. :twisted:

Yeah not that far off. 7 UT, 7 UCLA, 1 Loyola. There's an unofficial policy not to hire USC grads :P .

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:40 am

rad law wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:

I'd bet whatever Cornell's placement for Class of '11, they are still in the top 10 and significantly better than UCLA/UT/Vandy/Georgetown. And pretty much all of the Cornell posters on the board have said that OCI was pretty much "win" this past year (Class of '12). I know personally that '10 did well and even some of the no-offered people have gotten picked up by BigLaw.

That said, I do have a Cornell bias even though I don't go there :).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:43 am

keg411 wrote:
rad law wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:

I'd bet whatever Cornell's placement for Class of '11, they are still in the top 10 and significantly better than UCLA/UT/Vandy/Georgetown. And pretty much all of the Cornell posters on the board have said that OCI was pretty much "win" this past year (Class of '12). I know personally that '10 did well and even some of the no-offered people have gotten picked up by BigLaw.

That said, I do have a Cornell bias even though I don't go there :).

Haha fair. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. This not having timely statistics thing really sucks.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”