Got into UCLA and Cornell, was going to Texas - Now what?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BoomBoom1986

Got into UCLA and Cornell, was going to Texas - Now what?

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:15 pm

So I sent in my deposit to Texas. They gave me in-state tuition and a scholly that equals a $76,500 scholarship. I visited and loved it and their employment prospects seem good, after talking with some students. Then, since Friday, I've gotten into UCLA and Cornell and my cycle is now complete. I would like to practice in the northeast, but I don't need to. So, how much money would Cornell and UCLA have to throw my way for me to seriously consider them? If UCLA were to match Texas (and they claim I should alert them to offer schools' offers) and if Cornell were maybe to throw $30-45k my way, what should I do? I LOVE Westwood, and Cornell would give me the best shot at the NE, along with the best shots at BigLaw. BUT, UCLA and Texas still give me a reasonable shot at BigLaw, will offer me less debt, and will enable me to live in sweet sities for three years of my life. Anyone else facing the same problem? I will probably be able to visit Ithaca, but probably not LA...

I haven't slept the last three nights because I've been thinking about this...

BoomBoom1986

Re: Got into UCLA and Cornell, was going to Texas - Now what?

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm also waitlisted at Penn and plan on riding that one out.

bfaiken

Postby bfaiken » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:09 pm

I think it really depends on how strong your desire to practice in the NE is. You say you don't need to, but that's what it really comes down to. Cornell gives you a much better chance at that than either UT or UCLA. I can't quantify that for you. If you think you'd be satisfied living in Texas long-term and going into one of the major markets there, then I would choose that and avoid the debt. If not, you should probably look elsewhere.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:33 pm

bfaiken wrote:I think it really depends on how strong your desire to practice in the NE is. You say you don't need to, but that's what it really comes down to. Cornell gives you a much better chance at that than either UT or UCLA. I can't quantify that for you. If you think you'd be satisfied living in Texas long-term and going into one of the major markets there, then I would choose that and avoid the debt. If not, you should probably look elsewhere.

I also have to admit that Cornell's placement from the recent NLJ 250 numbers (58%!!!!!!) versus Texas and their 26%, is also giving me something to think about.

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:38 pm

nlj firms are mostly from the ne i would imagine, and i would also think the market rate is higher in the ne...I would not put all your faith in the njl ranking to make a determination.
Employment prospects for the three schools are influenced by region (NY, TX, LA), pick where you the school you would rather work, but also know that all three of these degrees are well known enough to land you in any market with more leg work.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:47 pm

HyeMart wrote:nlj firms are mostly from the ne i would imagine, and i would also think the market rate is higher in the ne...I would not put all your faith in the njl ranking to make a determination.
Employment prospects for the three schools are influenced by region (NY, TX, LA), pick where you the school you would rather work, but also know that all three of these degrees are well known enough to land you in any market with more leg work.

Could UCLA get me to SF without ties (save for maybe the summer after 1L there). If I knew that UCLA could get me to NorCal, then this would become even a harder decision (assuming they match UT's scholly).

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:56 pm

I don't know and anybody saying otherwise is just regurgitating somebody else's regurgitation.
if you want an answer ask the UCLA's career services for some numbers on SF. You'd be competing with Berkley + Stanford/Y/H peeps, and I woudn't think u chicago puts you in a better situation than ucla, but I don't know.
maybe check out their OCI employers locations to get an idea.

japes

Postby japes » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Having just made the choice between Texas and Cornell myself, and having visited both campuses and lost a fair amount of sleep, here's what I thought:

- The COA at Cornell is ridiculous compared to Texas - $210k over 3 years at sticker versus (if my math is right) around $100k less than that at Texas with your package. I don't know how debt averse you are, but if $100k matters I'd definitely take that into account.
- I lived in Austin for 4 years in UG and visited the LS. The LS facilities are kind of an eyesore, but the rest of Austin is a magical place and full of stuff to do. I visited Ithaca last month and had a great time. Seems like it'd be a good place to go to school, though I wouldn't want to stick around much longer than that.
- In terms of career prospects: Most of the Cornell students I talked to seemed to be generally optimistic about their prospects relative to their debt burden. Cornell places pretty well in NE Biglaw and the numbers back that up. You've done the research on Texas, and I think the general consensus in getting jobs out of state is that the low out of state numbers are self-selection to a large degree. That said, Cornell will have a better network for NE biglaw than TX.

I'd say really that if you're choosing between Cornell and Texas it depends on how much you really want to do biglaw/practice in the northeast vs. how debt averse you are. With my packages (in-state+15k @ TX, 30k from Cornell), Cornell came out $60k more expensive. I plan on doing PI and am fairly debt averse, and have no strong regional preference. I chose Texas because I didn't really feel that there was much of a difference in employment prospects for someone not gunning for biglaw, and minimizing the debt and staying in a city I already love just made sense.

HTH. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Best of luck!

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:40 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
bfaiken wrote:I think it really depends on how strong your desire to practice in the NE is. You say you don't need to, but that's what it really comes down to. Cornell gives you a much better chance at that than either UT or UCLA. I can't quantify that for you. If you think you'd be satisfied living in Texas long-term and going into one of the major markets there, then I would choose that and avoid the debt. If not, you should probably look elsewhere.

I also have to admit that Cornell's placement from the recent NLJ 250 numbers (58%!!!!!!) versus Texas and their 26%, is also giving me something to think about.

Employment in NLJ is different but employment of grads who get market rate is not so different. Go to UT and save a fortune, then start your career in the NE-- very possible from UT.

UT grads don't try to get work outside of TX often, but when they do so long as they have decent grades they are very successful.

Note: I live with UT Law students in Austin, TX.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:31 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
HyeMart wrote:nlj firms are mostly from the ne i would imagine, and i would also think the market rate is higher in the ne...I would not put all your faith in the njl ranking to make a determination.

Could UCLA get me to SF without ties (save for maybe the summer after 1L there). If I knew that UCLA could get me to NorCal, then this would become even a harder decision (assuming they match UT's scholly).

I don't know the actual placement numbers, but without ties, I think it is going to be an uphill battle from all of your options. SF firms generally like to see ties and living in LA is not a tie. They are completely different cities, and many people in each city feel that the other city sucks.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:27 pm

If Cornell gets within 50K in total COL, go there

clone22

Postby clone22 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Just FYI: --LinkRemoved--

28% of texas made 160+, while at least 48% of cornell did the same, although NYC does have a horrific cost of living. But if you have any ties to non-nyc markets, cornell will probably carry you further on the east coast than either UT or UCLA. Also, send Cornell your UT offer. Good chance Cornell might match it (seeing as ut is a t14 now and all :))

japes

Postby japes » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:52 pm

clone22 wrote:Just FYI: --LinkRemoved--

28% of texas made 160+, while at least 48% of cornell did the same, although NYC does have a horrific cost of living. But if you have any ties to non-nyc markets, cornell will probably carry you further on the east coast than either UT or UCLA. Also, send Cornell your UT offer. Good chance Cornell might match it (seeing as ut is a t14 now and all :))

Actually, my experience has been the opposite. I started out with an offer at Cornell and nothing from UT (though I did have in-state as a TX resident). I sent UT the Cornell offer and got money, even though UT was already way cheaper. I sent Cornell the UT offer and informed them I was in-state, and Cornell didn't up their offer.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Back in 2008 Cornell matched my UT scholarship within $900.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:41 am

jenesaislaw wrote:Back in 2008 Cornell matched my UT scholarship within $900.

Damn! I'm guessing you went Cornell? Any regrets?

flounder

Postby flounder » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:49 am

Three years in Ithaca compared to Austin?

AUSTIN!

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:52 am

I'd take UT over Cornell all day, even at the same price. The 58% # is great, but don't forget how much the NYC COL is, and the type of student who goes to Cornell (willing to suck up living in hell for 3 years to get a good job).

Postby 005618502 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:56 am

People are giving Texas way to much credit. As a UT UG I can tell you Austin is not as a amazing as everyone here tries to make it sound (unless you have never lived outside Texas, only then do people just LOVE it). Im from CA and my roomate from FL and neither of us could stand an extra year here. See what you get from Cornell, if its even close go to Cornell.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:59 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:People are giving Texas way to much credit. As a UT UG I can tell you Austin is not as a amazing as everyone here tries to make it sound (unless you have never lived outside Texas, only then do people just LOVE it). Im from CA and my roomate from FL and neither of us could stand an extra year here. See what you get from Cornell, if its even close go to Cornell.

I don't know. Every girl I met that went to UT was stunning. Cornell, not so much.

I am only speaking about the UG, full disclosure. I have no interest in dating women who are smarter than me so law school is out (except for TTT, of course).

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:00 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:People are giving Texas way to much credit. As a UT UG I can tell you Austin is not as a amazing as everyone here tries to make it sound (unless you have never lived outside Texas, only then do people just LOVE it). Im from CA and my roomate from FL and neither of us could stand an extra year here. See what you get from Cornell, if its even close go to Cornell.

you and your roommate are doin it wrong

Postby 005618502 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:02 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:

I don't know. Every girl I met that went to UT was stunning. Cornell, not so much.

I am only speaking about the UG, full disclosure. I have no interest in dating women who are smarter than me so law school is out (except for TTT, of course).

...really low standards?

Yes there are many good looking girls at UT, but there are twice as many hideous ones. The school has over 50,000 students overall there will always be good looking and terrible looking people with that kind of population. Law school should not be based on the looks of girls.

japes

Postby japes » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:03 pm

crit_racer wrote:

As another UT UG I have to agree.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:11 pm

japes wrote:
crit_racer wrote:

As another UT UG I have to agree.

As a 3rd UT UG, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

japes

Postby japes » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:21 pm

To be fair my opinion is probably colored by the fact that Austin seems to fit my interests (live indie music, fishing, hiking, football, etc) particularly well.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Yeah, as a cyclist/tri-athlete, Mexican food connoiseur and music lover, this city fits me nicely.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”