Random Choices

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bk1

Re: Random Choices

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:52 pm

M.M.M. wrote:I've taken every test that has been released (I think it was 62 or 63).

How were you doing on those tests? Were you improving as time went on? How did you review the tests after you took them?

M.M.M.

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:57 pm

bk1 wrote:
M.M.M. wrote:I've taken every test that has been released (I think it was 62 or 63).

How were you doing on those tests? Were you improving as time went on? How did you review the tests after you took them?

I reviewed each test (we did that one of the four days of the class). I also received a few private sessions with the instructor. I improved only slightly but really stayed within a range of 146-153. My instructor who has taught the course for over 30 years could not figure out why I wasn't improving.

red_alertz wrote:
M.M.M. wrote:
bk1 wrote:
M.M.M. wrote:I'm just a little realistic that standardized tests are my downfall. Even if I retook it, I'm not sure that it would make a huge difference.

How much and in what way did you study?

I took the October exam. I took 3 LSAT courses prior to the test itself. The class was 4 times a week with a weekly practice exam.

have you tried test masters? I heard a lot of good things about it and it helped me personally too, hope you can get off the WL but the choices you do have are still good

I have heard of test master and a few people have done it that I took the test with.
I took the test with 5 friends: 1 self studied, I did a course, 2 did Kaplan, 1 did test masters. I scored the second highest of them (the one that beat me was self studied and he started studying in his freshman year).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:59 pm

M.M.M. wrote:I reviewed each test (we did that one of the four days of the class). I also received a few private sessions with the instructor. I improved only slightly but really stayed within a range of 146-153. My instructor who has taught the course for over 30 years could not figure out why I wasn't improving.

Were you identifying the areas that you were making mistakes and drilling those areas?

M.M.M.

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:03 pm

bk1 wrote:
M.M.M. wrote:I reviewed each test (we did that one of the four days of the class). I also received a few private sessions with the instructor. I improved only slightly but really stayed within a range of 146-153. My instructor who has taught the course for over 30 years could not figure out why I wasn't improving.

Were you identifying the areas that you were making mistakes and drilling those areas?

Yes. The strange thing was when I had my personal sessions and we went over tests and questions, etc. I would get every answer correct and if I got it wrong I could figure out why.

I was scoring nearly perfect in games with the weakness switching between the reading and logic. But like I said, in the class and sessions I was getting everything right. But when it came to the tests I just didn't perform.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:05 pm

M.M.M. wrote:I was scoring nearly perfect in games with the weakness switching between the reading and logic. But like I said, in the class and sessions I was getting everything right. But when it came to the tests I just didn't perform.

Anxiety?

I still think it is worth figuring out why you can't perform on the test, especially when law school grades are often decided by a single test, and once you have figured it out give the LSAT a second try.

M.M.M.

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:06 pm

bk1 wrote:
M.M.M. wrote:I was scoring nearly perfect in games with the weakness switching between the reading and logic. But like I said, in the class and sessions I was getting everything right. But when it came to the tests I just didn't perform.

Anxiety?

I still think it is worth figuring out why you can't perform on the test, especially when law school grades are often decided by a single test, and once you have figured it out give the LSAT a second try.

I thought law schools tests were mostly short answer or essay based? Is that incorrect?

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:08 pm

no, that's true. But that does not change the fact that they are anxiety provoking.

If you really do understand the test conceptually but cannot perform in a test environment (simulated or otherwise), then you should look into treatment options. Meditation, medication, etc.

M.M.M.

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:11 pm

crit_racer wrote:no, that's true. But that does not change the fact that they are anxiety provoking.

If you really do understand the test conceptually but cannot perform in a test environment (simulated or otherwise), then you should look into treatment options. Meditation, medication, etc.

I'm a writing minor, so if that is the case I have it under control.

With the tests, I didn't feel any stress or anxiety. I've talked to a doctor about possible medication but I show no signs of stress or anxiety within any other area of my life (job, school, campus involvement, leadership positions, etc.) so he didn't feel the need to prescribe anything.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:05 am

M.M.M. wrote:
I'm a writing minor, so if that is the case I have it under control.

Tag and possibly IBTL. I want to see the rest of this.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”