Random Choices

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
M.M.M.

Random Choices

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:41 pm

I knew I wanted to go to law school but I wasn't sure where so I applied all over the place and got accepted and waitlisted at some places. I have no idea where to go but realistically I don't want to be too far from Florida.

Accepted:
FAMU
NOVA
FL Coastal
Barry
University of Toledo
Thomas Cooley
Charlotte
Mississippi College

Waitlisted:
Ole Miss
Michigan St
Samford

Deferred:
West Virginia

Still have to hear from:
Mercer
Elon
Charleston
Cleveland Marshall

For me, the reputation isn't as important as me enjoying my experience. As, long as I make the grades I have two internship offers waiting for me after my first year (both are in Orlando).

I have visited: Michigan St, Toledo, Mississippi (both), NOVA, FAMU, FL Coastal, and Barry.
FAMU is the only place I have sent a seat deposit to so far. I am not an underrepresented minority but I loved the area and the lifestyle of living in downtown. Also, everyone one I met was extremely nice and accommodating.

What are everyone's thoughts?

mettasutta

Re: Random Choices

Postby mettasutta » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:43 pm

FAMU has an appalling 38% attrition rate, and I wouldn't go there under any circumstance.

Also, the reputation of a school (which is directly related to job prospects for graduates) is just as, if not more important than having an enjoyable experience or whatever.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:48 pm

M.M.M. wrote:For me, the reputation isn't as important as me enjoying my experience. As, long as I make the grades I have two internship offers waiting for me after my first year (both are in Orlando).

If these will lead to guaranteed (and I really do mean guaranteed no questions asked) full time job offers after graduation then go to the school that is cheapest. Since you say "as long as I make the grades," this leads me to believe that they aren't guaranteed at all since you cannot guarantee that you will make the grades.

If they will not lead to guaranteed full time jobs after graduation then you damn well better care about reputation since it is one of the key factors in getting you a job. Since these schools have pretty abysmal job prospects, if you don't have a guaranteed job awaiting you after graduation you should retake/reapply.

jonillson

Postby jonillson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:52 pm

even i can see that this is a flame

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:53 pm

jonillson wrote:even i can see that this is a flame

I tend to err on the side of caution since there are plenty of people who make this actual decision every year.

M.M.M.

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:53 pm

I don't want to be handed a job. It's important to me that I earn it. I have multiple people that will give me guaranteed internships in a variety of legal specializations. If I prove myself and do a good job then they will turn into jobs. But until I prove myself, I can't say that for sure.

I know, for a fact, that I can clerk for a judge, intern in a business/corporate office, and intern for a personal injury attorney. They will lead to other things.

I am fortunate to have made some friends during my undergrad.

If it's money - famu is by far the cheapest. But that wasn't a major consideration.

M.M.M.

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:54 pm

jonillson wrote:even i can see that this is a flame

what is a flame?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:56 pm

M.M.M. wrote:I don't want to be handed a job. It's important to me that I earn it. I have multiple people that will give me guaranteed internships in a variety of legal specializations. If I prove myself and do a good job then they will turn into jobs. But until I prove myself, I can't say that for sure.

I know, for a fact, that I can clerk for a judge, intern in a business/corporate office, and intern for a personal injury attorney. They will lead to other things.

I am fortunate to have made some friends during my undergrad.

If it's money - famu is by far the cheapest. But that wasn't a major consideration.

The majority of grads from these schools don't end up in full time legal jobs, take that into account. Since you have no guarantees from these places you can intern, you really should take it upon yourself to retake/reapply.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:56 pm

Go to the any school you want. Just make sure you are paying sticker or you won't pass the bar

M.M.M.

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:57 pm

There are 15 schools on that list. Why would I retake/reapply?

akili

Postby akili » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:59 pm

M.M.M. wrote:There are 15 schools on that list. Why would I retake/reapply?

They aren't very good schools with good opportunities career-wise. If you aren't going into debt and have a job lined up after, just pick the cheapest or the one you like the most.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:03 pm

M.M.M. wrote:There are 15 schools on that list. Why would I retake/reapply?

Take a look at what happens to the grads from those schools here: --LinkRemoved--

One of the best schools on your list is probably Michigan State and yet less than half of the graduating class from 2009 got full time work that required passing the bar. These schools are truly awful.

M.M.M.

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Maybe I'm not concerned like I should be....but I'm not really worried about finding a job.

I understand they aren't great choices. But that is what I have to work with. I have no intention of waiting another year.

Mostly everyone has been commenting on FAMU but I would also like to know what people think of the other schools as well.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:22 pm

stats?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:24 pm

M.M.M. wrote:Maybe I'm not concerned like I should be....but I'm not really worried about finding a job.

You really should be. The number of new law school graduates every year far exceeds the number of legal jobs created every year. It's bad out there and these schools are truly terrible. When you are sinking upwards of 6 figures worth of debt into law school, you really should be concerned about finding a job, specifically one that can pay back the debt.

M.M.M. wrote:I understand they aren't great choices. But that is what I have to work with. I have no intention of waiting another year.

They are downright awful choices. Don't let your impatience make it so that you are unemployed with a mountain of debt 3 years from now.

M.M.M. wrote:Mostly everyone has been commenting on FAMU but I would also like to know what people think of the other schools as well.

Did you not see my comment about Michigan State? It is probably the best school on your entire list and it is still atrocious. The other schools may be better than FAMU but they are all incredibly abysmal.

M.M.M.

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:25 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:stats?

I think you mean what are my scores?

I have a 3.77 GPA, but I got a 149 on the LSAT (hence my school choices).

I also had 4 letters of rec...all of which were strong and well respected people in the community

akili

Postby akili » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 pm

M.M.M. wrote:

I also had 4 letters of rec...all of which were strong and well respected people in the community

Honestly, 3.77 is a great GPA and you shouldn't waste it on these schools. Retake and you'd have a shot at UF or FSU which are far better options.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:32 pm

M.M.M. wrote:I have a 3.77 GPA, but I got a 149 on the LSAT (hence my school choices).

All t hat really matters is your GPA and LSAT. Retaking the LSAT is the painfully obvious choice here.

M.M.M.

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:39 pm

akili wrote:
M.M.M. wrote:

Honestly, 3.77 is a great GPA and you shouldn't waste it on these schools. Retake and you'd have a shot at UF or FSU which are far better options.

That would probably be the smart choice, especially since FSU called me, and emailed me, and had a meeting with me to say that they would hold my application if I retook it.

I'm just a little realistic that standardized tests are my downfall. Even if I retook it, I'm not sure that it would make a huge difference.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:40 pm

M.M.M. wrote:I'm just a little realistic that standardized tests are my downfall. Even if I retook it, I'm not sure that it would make a huge difference.

How much and in what way did you study?

M.M.M.

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:45 pm

bk1 wrote:
M.M.M. wrote:I'm just a little realistic that standardized tests are my downfall. Even if I retook it, I'm not sure that it would make a huge difference.

I took the October exam. I took 3 LSAT courses prior to the test itself. The class was 4 times a week with a weekly practice exam.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:48 pm

M.M.M. wrote:I took the October exam. I took 3 LSAT courses prior to the test itself. The class was 4 times a week with a weekly practice exam.

Personally I am not a fan of LSAT courses. They tend to teach to the middle rather then helping kids do actually well.

I would take a look into the LSAT forum on the site and look up the study guides of people who have done well. Give self-study a try (a lot of people recommend the some of the PowerScore LSAT Bibles). To be honest you might not actually improve your LSAT, but it would be foolish to not try considering your options right now are pretty terrible.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:49 pm

M.M.M. wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I took the October exam. I took 3 LSAT courses prior to the test itself. The class was 4 times a week with a weekly practice exam.

How many practice tests did you take? I found that was what made the difference for me.

M.M.M.

Postby M.M.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:50 pm

akili wrote:
M.M.M. wrote:
bk1 wrote:

How many practice tests did you take? I found that was what made the difference for me.

I've taken every test that has been released (I think it was 62 or 63).

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:51 pm

M.M.M. wrote:
bk1 wrote:

have you tried test masters? I heard a lot of good things about it and it helped me personally too, hope you can get off the WL but the choices you do have are still good

Return to “Choosing a Law School”