Durham vs. Ann Arbor

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rjma88

Durham vs. Ann Arbor

Postby rjma88 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:46 am

Has anywhere here visited both that could compare the two for me. Which one did you like better and was it a big difference? Obviously Durham has better weather but I'm not as concerned with that as much as the general vibe of the areas.

Perch

Re: Durham vs. Ann Arbor

Postby Perch » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:55 am

if you're considering going to school there, I would recommend you visit it first...

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:57 am

The only good thing about Durham is it's proximity to Chapel Hill. HTH.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:59 am

I like AA better but I'm biased as I go to Michigan. The city is great, there is a surprising amount to do, and Detroit is surprisingly not shitty either. That said, I'd visit....and I'd let the school/$ have more sway. If you're thinking of Cooley in AA, I wouldn't even consider it.

rjma88

Postby rjma88 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:05 pm

I like AA better but I'm biased as I go to Michigan. The city is great, there is a surprising amount to do, and Detroit is surprisingly not shitty either. That said, I'd visit....and I'd let the school/$ have more sway. If you're thinking of Cooley in AA, I wouldn't even consider it.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the time off to schedule visits this Spring. Both schools are offering similar $ (slightly more from Duke, but not a deal breaker) and both have their positives, so I'm pretty torn. I like the Lawyers Club and community aspect of Michigan, and I'm worried that Duke won't have that? And I like the fact that from what I hear Ann Arbor is a really cool place. Does anyone know how many Duke 1Ls have cars (been contemplating whether to take mine), since it seems more necessary in Durham than in Ann Arbor. I would prefer the weather and NC in general to Michigan, but I've never visited Ann Arbor and I hear good things from people that I know very well.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:08 pm

rjma88 wrote:

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the time off to schedule visits this Spring. Both schools are offering similar $ (slightly more from Duke, but not a deal breaker) and both have their positives, so I'm pretty torn. I like the Lawyers Club and community aspect of Michigan, and I'm worried that Duke won't have that? And I like the fact that from what I hear Ann Arbor is a really cool place. Does anyone know how many Duke 1Ls have cars (been contemplating whether to take mine), since it seems more necessary in Durham than in Ann Arbor. I would prefer the weather and NC in general to Michigan, but I've never visited Ann Arbor and I hear good things from people that I know very well.

Between the two, I liked AA the most. Also, anecdotally from people I know, the student body at M is much closer. Michigan prides itself on it's low douche factor. People help each other all the time. When I've missed classes, people readily volunteer to send me notes, etc. The people I know at Duke...not so much.

As for weather, it's not that bad here. You'll be spending much more time in the LS and with fellow students than enjoying the weather. Especially 1L year...so I wouldn't let that be the determining factor.

Edit: This is a pretty big decision though. You can't fly up even on a weekend?

rjma88

Postby rjma88 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Between the two, I liked AA the most. Also, anecdotally from people I know, the student body at M is much closer. Michigan prides itself on it's low douche factor. People help each other all the time. When I've missed classes, people readily volunteer to send me notes, etc. The people I know at Duke...not so much.

As for weather, it's not that bad here. You'll be spending much more time in the LS and with fellow students than enjoying the weather. Especially 1L year...so I wouldn't let that be the determining factor.

Good to know, you're the second person I've heard say that about Duke people. Granted, the other one is a current student at Michigan too. As a student coming from a big SEC school with a pretty high douche factor I'm kinda excited at the prospect of getting away from that. At the same time there are things I like about being in the South that are probably more available at Duke.

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:02 pm

I work in Durham now and it is nothing to be happy about. I commute from Chapel Hill everyday so I don't have to live in the armpit of NC, and that says alot.

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:05 pm

I have done visits to each school for, and on a scale of 1-10, in my opinion, AA is a 8, and Durham is a 3.

tvt86

Postby tvt86 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Duke Law. However, I think many of these comments are being way too hard on Durham. I live here and I think it's a great town. Sure, Chapel Hill, just down the road, is much "nicer" than Durham. I've heard AA compared to CH on many occasions, so I'm sure that AA is much nicer than Durham too. But Durham isn't just a little college town. It has a lot going on all the time -- good bars that aren't just full of college students, some really outstanding restaurants, a theater that hosts some top plays and concerts, a nationally-renowned documentary film festival, not to mention the good old Durham Bulls.

When I first came to Durham, it seemed bleak. But it's one of those places that takes effort to get to know, but is extremely worth it once you too. It's not one of those pretty little college towns that instantly jumps out at you. It's a real community and it's a great one to be a part of.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:13 pm

So many haterz in this thread. Durham definitely has the better weather but, while I haven't spent significant time in AA, most people around here seem to agree that Durham doesn't quite match up to AA. You'll need a car in Durham, not sure about in AA. Also, Duke has one of the most tightly-knit, non-douchey student bodies around. It probably isn't a good idea to get your information about a school's student body from students at a different/rival school.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:02 pm

beachbum wrote:So many haterz in this thread. Durham definitely has the better weather but, while I haven't spent significant time in AA, most people around here seem to agree that Durham doesn't quite match up to AA. You'll need a car in Durham, not sure about in AA. Also, Duke has one of the most tightly-knit, non-douchey student bodies around. It probably isn't a good idea to get your information about a school's student body from students at a different/rival school.

http://abovethelaw.com/douchiest-law-school-contest/

I rest my case.

johndh

Postby johndh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:08 pm

rjma88 wrote:

Good to know, you're the second person I've heard say that about Duke people. Granted, the other one is a current student at Michigan too. As a student coming from a big SEC school with a pretty high douche factor I'm kinda excited at the prospect of getting away from that. At the same time there are things I like about being in the South that are probably more available at Duke.

Honestly never had a problem getting notes at Duke or anything like that. The people are actually really nice and the high douche factor really comes from the undergrads more than the law students. That being said, if you can stand the cold weather AA is a great city and I would not have minded spending 3 years there.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:31 pm

blowhard wrote:
beachbum wrote:So many haterz in this thread. Durham definitely has the better weather but, while I haven't spent significant time in AA, most people around here seem to agree that Durham doesn't quite match up to AA. You'll need a car in Durham, not sure about in AA. Also, Duke has one of the most tightly-knit, non-douchey student bodies around. It probably isn't a good idea to get your information about a school's student body from students at a different/rival school.

http://abovethelaw.com/douchiest-law-school-contest/

I rest my case.

Shitty story, but it makes for a great avatar.

Also, if you seriously let an anonymous ATL poll influence your law school decision, you're probably an idiot.

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:24 am

I live in Durham and have visited AA a number of times. My preference is Durham, but everyone's different.

Ann Arbor is a fantastic college town and if that's what you're looking for, go there. I'm sure others can extol its virtues.

Durham is a very funky, foodie town with a great music scene and a lot of interesting characters and diversity of people. You can definitely do Durham without a car -- there's a decent bus system and bike network -- but you'd probably want to have one, especially if you're planning to sneak over to Chapel Hill regularly. I'm not sure what else you're looking for, but I'm happy to answer any specific questions about Durham (but not Duke).

My fellow Tar Heel who described Durham as the "armpit of North Carolina" is sorely mistaken and I'm guessing has never been to Fayetteville, High Point, Winston-Salem, etc., which are far worse places to live.
Last edited by TarHeel11 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:29 am

I grew up in A2, dont really see what all the hype is about. Its pretty boring, imo.

Meerkat Manor

Postby Meerkat Manor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:29 am

if you're from the south you'll probably like durham better. if you're not you'll probably like AA better

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:30 am

I've lived in both cities and found Ann Arbor to be a MUCH better place to live.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:52 am

Ever had a truck full of pigs drive by you on the highway? Notice the smell? Yep, that's what Durham smells like all the time.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”