LSU $$ v. Cumberland ? v. MC $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

LSU v. Cumberland v. MC

Poll ended at Thu May 12, 2011 11:01 am

LSU w/ 50% Scholarship
100%
Cumberland w/ expected scholarship
No votes
Mississippi College w/ 100% scholarship
No votes

Total votes: 4

leejh38

LSU $$ v. Cumberland ? v. MC $$$

Postby leejh38 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:55 am

I'd like to hear some advice, so here's my situation. I have 50% scholarship at LSU (stipulation top 2/3 of class), full ride at MC (stipulation top 20% of class) and I'm still waiting on my awards package from Cumberland (I'm thinking, based on LSAT numbers and rankings, that if LSU gave me half then Cumberland would do at least that). I'm also still waiting on a decision from Alabama, and if they say yes I think I would jump ship and pay whatever to go there since its in-state for me.

My desires for post-graduation are to practice in South Alabama/Mississippi or West Florida. I'm from this area as are my family/friends and the network I've established, and have no desire to leave this area. I have absolutely no desire to chase BigLaw or go far away from the region to study law. Didn't apply to T14, don't want to, so please don't post "retake"...the opportunities from doing that aren't in line with my desires.

So, assuming Alabama says no and I'm left with these 3 schools (and with my desired area of practice) what's the best deal? Highest ranked school in LSU (50%), regionally respectable Cumberland (assume at least matching 50% scholarship...otherwise I'd eliminate them myself), or low tier Miss. College with a full ride? Keep in mind, while I don't want to chase the money that goes with BigLaw, I don't want to be a poor lawyer. Money does matter, but so does debt.
Last edited by leejh38 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magnolia

Re: LSU v. Cumberland v. MC

Postby Magnolia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:00 am

are there stipulations on the scholarships?

leejh38

Postby leejh38 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:02 am

Magnolia wrote:are there stipulations on the scholarships?

I just edited my original message before I saw this post. They're now in original post. But MC is top 20% and LSU is top 2/3 of class.

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:08 am

leejh38 wrote:

I just edited my original message before I saw this post. They're now in original post. But MC is top 20% and LSU is top 2/3 of class.

To help you out, we have identical numbers and i received a 75% tuition scholarship from Cumberland. The stip was top 2/3 like your LSU offer.

leejh38

Postby leejh38 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:13 am

dukivich10 wrote:
leejh38 wrote:

To help you out, we have identical numbers and i received a 75% tuition scholarship from Cumberland. The stip was top 2/3 like your LSU offer.

If Cumberland threw me 75% with 2/3 stip this forum wouldn't exist! lol. Congrats to you for that, I hope they do that for me.

Magnolia

Re: LSU $$ v. Cumberland ? v. MC $$$

Postby Magnolia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:15 am

The top 20% stip at MC is too risky. You're likely to lose it and you don't want to end up paying sticker there.

Top 2/3 at LSU isn't so bad, but you may have trouble getting to Alabama/Mississippi. Definitely only go to LSU if you would be ok practicing in Louisiana. Florida is going to be difficult or impossible from any of these schools, especially if you don't have ties. The legal market isn't huge and there's a surplus of schools in the state.

Assuming you get the same money from Cumberland with low to no stipulations then that's probably your best bet for getting a job in Alabama. It probably won't get you to Mississippi or Florida.

If you aren't willing to live in Louisiana and the Cumberland scholarship comes with heavy stips, then none of your options will really meet your needs for school and you should reapply next year.

I won't go into how bad the employment prospects are at these schools (though I'm sure someone will), but make sure you do some research before you commit. I know you don't want biglaw, but I assume you're getting a law degree because you actually want to practice law in some capacity. Make sure you realize that lots of graduates from these schools never get jobs in the legal field.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:18 am

No Ole Miss?

From what you have mentioned, I would forget about MC. The scholarship stips are insane.

Because you don't want Louisiana, I would consider letting go of LSU.

I'm not familiar with any law schools in Alabama that aren't U of Alabama, so I don't know about the rest.

Also - be prepared to start your own firm.

leejh38

Postby leejh38 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:34 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:No Ole Miss?

Yeah, got in Ole Miss, but the people there really pissed me off. Terrible visit and snarky attitudes. And I didn't like their employment numbers...they've kind of gone down the tube in recent years (in comparision with where they use to be). The whole concept rubbed me wrong, just didn't fit with me.

leejh38

Postby leejh38 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:37 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I'm not familiar with any law schools in Alabama that aren't U of Alabama, so I don't know about the rest.

As far as Alabama and the immediately surrounding region go, Cumberland is a solid school. Lots of alumni networking in the big cities in Alabama, and I think Georgia has a pretty good base of Cumberland grads too. Definately not a lot of mobility outside the region, but that's not my goal.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:44 am

leejh38 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:No Ole Miss?

Yeah, got in Ole Miss, but the people there really pissed me off. Terrible visit and snarky attitudes. And I didn't like their employment numbers...they've kind of gone down the tube in recent years (in comparision with where they use to be). The whole concept rubbed me wrong, just didn't fit with me.

All schools have gone down the tubes since the class of 2009 and will likely (get better, but) remain there until the class of 2013/14. The class of 2011 will be the worst, and whether 2012 will be better than 2010 is yet to be seen.

And...none of these schools have great employment stats. Ole Miss placed literally a handful of people from winter 2008/spring2009/summer 2009 into firms of more than 25 attorneys. I'm certain that all of these schools, which are all peers, would place the same amount.

If Cumberland makes sense to you, I suppose you should go for it. But you need to realize that alumni networks mean very little in a world where each employer has a hiring committee designed to prevent alumni bias (among other things).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”