Please Help! USC versus GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School?

USC
93%
GULC
7%

Total votes: 15

disabilityadvocate

Please Help! USC versus GULC

Postby disabilityadvocate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:22 am

Hello All --

Both of these schools require a deposit by May 2.

I had been all set to go to USC until GULC let me in off their waitlist last week. Now I'm panicked.

At USC, I like the smaller class size, the close alumni network, and the small but meaningful scholarship.

GULC, is GULC.

I currently live in DC, but am from CA originally. As of now, I think I want to use my JD to do policy work -- but who knows what I'll think after three years?

I think I'd actually prefer USC, but the biggest draw is that my husband will be starting a PhD program at UC Santa Barbara (5 to 6 years).

I keep going back and forth as to whether its really sane to spend 3 to 6 years living on separate coasts -- which is why I think, based on my situation, I have to go to USC.

I'm terribly afraid, however, that I'll never be able to make it back to DC with a degree from USC, and that as shity as the years in school would be, it might be worth it to suck it up.

Emma1

Re: Please Help! USC versus GULC

Postby Emma1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:37 am

I think you know the answer is USC. That is where you really want to be. Enjoy!

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:40 am

Clearly USC. You want it and the difference in prestige is (arguably) offset by the smaller class size of USC. Everything I just said is false if you are gunning for DC (implied by policy work?). I still say USC. btw Santa Barbara is amazing and a great place to spend your weekends studying.a

840e

Postby 840e » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:49 am

Last edited by 840e on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stylishlaw

Postby stylishlaw » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:51 am

If you want to end up in DC eventually you should probably go to GULC here. Outside of that, USC is a better pick for you.

disabilityadvocate

Postby disabilityadvocate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:30 am

kwais wrote: Everything I just said is false if you are gunning for DC (implied by policy work?). I still say USC. btw Santa Barbara is amazing and a great place to spend your weekends studying.a

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. The problem is, who really KNOWS what they want and where they want to be after law school??

And yes, I'm very jealous that he'll get to be in Santa Barbara while I'm in LA. Yuck. lol.

Thanks for the reply.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”