Final Decision: U of Houston v. Tulane Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

University of Houson
59%
Tulane University
41%

Total votes: 17

wilebas

New

Final Decision: U of Houston v. Tulane

Post by wilebas » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:20 am

Hey Everyone,
After some slow-rolling from the University of Houston Admissions Office, I have received an acceptance. Unfortunately, this means I know have to make a decision between U of H and Tulane, where I sent my initial deposit. Any advice on which one might be a better fit. My interests (as of now) are in intellectual property and I am trying to decide if Houston's better program in this specific field might be worth giving up Tulane's (slightly) better name recognition. I am also receiving no money from either school so Houston's price tag would be comparatively less burdensome. I think that’s about the gist of it. Thanks for the advice.

Mce252

Silver

Re: Final Decision: U of Houston v. Tulane

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:24 am

Where do you want to work?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:31 am

Houston w/o a doubt.

wilebas

New

Post by wilebas » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:38 am

I would be fine working in either. I am from Louisiana originally, so neither is far away from home. Probably, I would prefer working in Houston because of the larger legal market and for the quality of life. On the other hand, it would seem easier to attend Tulane and work in Houston than vice versa because of the constraints in the legal code.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:00 am

wilebas wrote:I would be fine working in either. I am from Louisiana originally, so neither is far away from home. Probably, I would prefer working in Houston because of the larger legal market and for the quality of life. On the other hand, it would seem easier to attend Tulane and work in Houston than vice versa because of the constraints in the legal code.

Go to Houston and plan to work in Houston.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

david787

Bronze

Post by david787 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:33 am

Want to work in Houston = Go to U of Houston
Want to work outside of Houston = Go to Tulane
Not sure = Go to U of Houston
Want to live somewhere fun for 3 years = Go to Tulane

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:33 pm

I think paying sticker at Tulane is a bad idea. In-state at UH isn't great, but the placement is better than Tulane and it's going to be 40k or so total cheaper. The only reason to choose Tulane would be to enjoy yourself more for the next 3 years, consequences be damned, or if you considered the city of Houston to be an absolute hell hole.

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:02 am

Stringer Bell wrote:I think paying sticker at Tulane is a bad idea. In-state at UH isn't great, but the placement is better than Tulane and it's going to be 40k or so total cheaper. The only reason to choose Tulane would be to enjoy yourself more for the next 3 years, consequences be damned, or if you considered the city of Houston to be an absolute hell hole.
TITCR.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:29 am

arvcondor wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:I think paying sticker at Tulane is a bad idea. In-state at UH isn't great, but the placement is better than Tulane and it's going to be 40k or so total cheaper. The only reason to choose Tulane would be to enjoy yourself more for the next 3 years, consequences be damned, or if you considered the city of Houston to be an absolute hell hole.
TITCR.
Ditto. There are only a few circumstances in which I would recommend Tulane here, and you haven't mentioned any of them. Thus, in light of a cost/benefit comparison, U of Houston would be the more financially sound decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”