FINAL DECISION!!! GAHH!! DUKE ($$) VS GULC ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Final Law School Poll

Duke ($$)
87%
GULC ($$)
13%

Total votes: 46

craygar

FINAL DECISION!!! GAHH!! DUKE ($$) VS GULC ($$)

Postby craygar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:22 am

So I have posted before, but this time it is down to the wire but I just today got an offer from GULC. I have about a 1/3rd scholarship (of tuition) from both schools, with GULC offering slightly slightly more. I have ways to cover much of the cost that isnt covered by scholarships, so cost is not of the biggest issue.

Here is the question, I am planning on sending in my deposit to Duke tomorrow, and I just want to make sure I am making the right decision. I am interested in working in New York after graduation, though my interests are probably better suited for DC (which is a good city, so I would be ok with that). I want to study constitutional law, and would love to get a A3 clerkship after school. While I like the idea of working for DOJ at some point, I do not want to go to GULC purely for that reason because I do not want to close off other opportunities. I also want to keep Big Law open as an option just in case my financial situation or personal preferences change. I know they are both very good schools, I just want to send out a last quick post and poll to double check if there is anything else I should consider.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

dpk711

Re: FINAL DECISION!!! GAHH!! DUKE ($$) VS GULC ($$)

Postby dpk711 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:35 am

DOOK -- easy decision.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:03 am

It boils down to where you would be happier for three years.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:07 am

Duke is going to win this poll because TLS does not view Duke and GULC as peer schools. Consider your choice confirmed. There's some good people in Durham, you'll enjoy it.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:08 am

if GULC is not saving you much money, then I'd easily be heading off to Duke. But yea, if you hate Durham for some reason or have some particularly strong reason to be in DC, then go to GULC. Otherwise, go to Duke.

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:19 am

enjoy Durham.

disabilityadvocate

Postby disabilityadvocate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:28 am

I live in DC, and recently visited Duke when my husband was there looking at a PhD program.

That being said, I have a huge preference for DC generally, but I think Durham was really lovely. Surprisingly so. I've heard Durham is to NC, what Austin is to TX, and I agree. I think most people could be really happy there.

Additionally, GULC is known for harsh competition, and even spiteful students. I have friends there, and even though they are my friends -- and I can see what people talk about. I'm actually considering GULC myself (its the best school I got into) but I'm really hesitant because of the tone of the students.

I'd say, Duke.

Good luck!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:49 am

craygar wrote:I am interested in working in New York after graduation, though my interests are probably better suited for DC (which is a good city, so I would be ok with that). I want to study constitutional law, and would love to get a A3 clerkship after school. While I like the idea of working for DOJ at some point, I do not want to go to GULC purely for that reason because I do not want to close off other opportunities.

Most of the factors you listed as leaning in GULC's favor are actually reasons to consider Duke.

1) Article III clerkships - Duke wins in this category. A large fraction of the student body gets A3 clerkships, and the fact that it is the best school in the south would probably open up a good number of A3 opportunities if you are geographically flexible.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... s-rankings

2) DOJ - Everyone and their mother at Georgetown and every other T14 wants to work at the DOJ. The DOJ likes to have diversity of schools in its classes. While both GULC and Duke grads get DOJ positions, you have a higher statistical likelihood of getting that position at Duke than you do at GULC.

3) Interest in Constitutional Law - Georgetown has the better faculty here, but you really shouldn't choose your school based on the academic quality of its con law professors.

Overall I think most people here would tell you that their research or experience shows that Duke will open more career opportunities relative to GULC than it shuts.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:04 am

disabilityadvocate wrote:That being said, I have a huge preference for DC generally, but I think Durham was really lovely. Surprisingly so. I've heard Durham is to NC, what Austin is to TX, and I agree. I think most people could be really happy there.

I think this is DRASTICALLY overstated. But, yes, the Triangle (i.e. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) is quite nice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”