Need Some Advice UGA (in-state) vs. IUB (120K) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UGA vs. IUB

UGA
83%
IUB
17%

Total votes: 47

detectivelogic

New

Re: Need Some Advice UGA (in-state) vs. IUB (120K)

Post by detectivelogic » Mon May 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Rite, that means half the graduates of these schools make between 0 and 50k rite? Most of them make more than 0 dont they?

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Mon May 09, 2011 11:03 pm

eh median at these three schools would probably mean working in private practice at about 60-80k a year. unemployment - $50k.
do you have any anecdotal evidence of people with Median class rank at top 30 schools who are unemployed or working for free? I can totally understand median being 50k or 60k at shitlaw, but for median to be 0, it means that at least half the class is working for free or unemployed, and that doesnt seem right.

detectivelogic

New

Post by detectivelogic » Tue May 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Especially since median at fordham has the possibility of making 160k/year

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Wed May 11, 2011 2:15 am

Especially since median at fordham has the possibility of making 160k/year
Well I have to completely disagree with u there buddy. Unless u have some crazy connections, and even then its a long shot, median at fordham wont get u 160k. I know that median at top 30 schools would be getting shitlaw, I used to think shitlaw at the biggest legal market, NY would get maybe 70-80k but perhaps its more like 50-60k. But I definitely know median at Fordham is no where near 160k.

Just remember for private practice its basically biglaw or shitlaw, there are very very few midlaw.

detectivelogic

New

Post by detectivelogic » Wed May 11, 2011 11:19 am

Can you guys give me an honest impression of the employment prospects in indianapolis and outside of the midwest after graduation. Does IUB pretty much own Indianapolis? Also, do people have a chance to land something good outside the midwest if they choose to do so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 11, 2011 12:04 pm

My best guess is that IUB competes with Indiana-Indianapolis & Notre Dame in Indianapolis.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed May 11, 2011 4:10 pm

I think IU Indy does fairly well in Indianapolis, but at the end of the day why would anyone want to live in Indianapolis ? lol

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Wed May 11, 2011 4:23 pm

the indianopolis 500 perhaps?

detectivelogic

New

Post by detectivelogic » Thu May 12, 2011 4:07 pm

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu May 12, 2011 6:14 pm

What kind of further feedback are you looking for, specifically ?

detectivelogic

New

Post by detectivelogic » Thu May 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Does UGA or IUB still place as well as it did in 2009? What lifestyle can i expect at both? Is fordham at sticker a better choice than either one of these?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu May 12, 2011 9:47 pm

detectivelogic wrote:Does UGA or IUB still place as well as it did in 2009? What lifestyle can i expect at both? Is fordham at sticker a better choice than either one of these?

1. I doubt many save but a few top schools place as well as c/o 2009 right now.

2. Lifestyles? pretty broad question

3. It all depends on your goals and preferences. Fordham places more in NLJ250 and is in NYC. UGA is in GA and places more than IUb. IUB is in Indiana.

Its all about your personal preference, d00d. I would choose UGA for 100k because I want to work in the south and dont want NYC. You might choose Fordham so you can stay close to home. Another person might say they want Fordham even though its more expensive because they are willing to take the extra cost for a marginal uptick in NLJ250. Another person might pick IUb because they are extremely debt averse. Another person might take UGA because they REALLY want to clerk. They are all fine regional schools.

You could get everyone's opinion on TLS - nothing will be revolutionary or game changing.

sch0123

Bronze

Post by sch0123 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Agree with Sandro ^^^. We both can tell you a lot about the lifestyle in Athens if you want (I, too, will be attending UGA on the same scholly), but you have 3 good regional schools all in different regions at different costs. There are pros for each school, but this is a decision only you can make. It is definitely not a situation where any school would be the wrong choice, IMO.

If you tell us more about your lifestyle preferences, perhaps we can help further. If you like awesome weather (and beautiful women), I think the choice is very simple 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

detectivelogic

New

Post by detectivelogic » Sat May 14, 2011 11:12 am

Im from the Northeast, my concern is that if i go to UGA i will be conisidered a flight risk and not be able to land a good job. Any thoughts to allay my fears?

detectivelogic

New

Post by detectivelogic » Sat May 14, 2011 4:20 pm

Crickets?

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Sat May 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Sandro wrote:I think IU Indy does fairly well in Indianapolis, but at the end of the day why would anyone want to live in Indianapolis ? lol
1) hey now. Indy's not so bad. I know people who like it.
2) many, MANY lawyers and judges in central Indiana are IU-indy grads. But the majority of IUB grads end up in Indy, I think a good number also go to chicago. Some go to DC.

athenian

Bronze

Post by athenian » Sat May 14, 2011 5:31 pm

detectivelogic wrote:Im from the Northeast, my concern is that if i go to UGA i will be conisidered a flight risk and not be able to land a good job. Any thoughts to allay my fears?
Well are you a flight risk?

Atlanta is a transplant city as it is. I'm not sure being an out of stater would hurt you all that much as long as you had a UGA diploma and were sincere in your desire to live/work in the South.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

detectivelogic

New

Post by detectivelogic » Sat May 14, 2011 7:19 pm

No, I like the south and do intend to settle down wherever i do choose to go to school. My fear is that being from a different area would present another obstacle in the legal field which is ultra competitive. I do really like Atlanta though and wouldnt mind staying long term

detectivelogic

New

Post by detectivelogic » Sun May 15, 2011 8:02 pm

mas bump

detectivelogic

New

Post by detectivelogic » Mon May 16, 2011 1:20 pm

help?

jarv1506

New

Post by jarv1506 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:28 pm

i was in the exact same boat as you. i'm from the northeast, but i want to work in the south. i don't think it will be much of an issue in finding a job. honestly i think your decision here is fairly clear-cut. you like UGA and you want to work in the south. UGA has good placement in atlanta, IUB has virtually none. you have a good offer from a school in the region in which you want to work. I think its UGA all the way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

athenian

Bronze

Post by athenian » Mon May 16, 2011 1:32 pm

detectivelogic wrote:No, I like the south and do intend to settle down wherever i do choose to go to school. My fear is that being from a different area would present another obstacle in the legal field which is ultra competitive. I do really like Atlanta though and wouldnt mind staying long term
I don't know how much more help you need. Your poll seems pretty one sided, and plenty of people have come in here with advice. Could you be specific in what you still want answers to? If you're still looking for help on the same general questions, I don't think bumping it without providing new points of information is going to elicit anyone's additional advice.

If you have a UGA diploma and are sincere in your desire to settle down in Atlanta, then I highly, highly doubt that you'll be eyed suspiciously by Atlanta firms. Keep in mind that Atlanta is one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the country. As a result, a large part of its population (over 5,000,000 people) are from somewhere other than Atlanta. I assure you that you won't be the only non-native Georgian applying for a job in Atlanta.

I had a similar choice to yours. I wound up not choosing either school, but that's only because I'm originally from Georgia and wanted to live somewhere else for at least a little while. Were I forced to choose between the two, I would have taken UGA, solely because I'd much rather get "stuck" in a place like Atlanta, than in the middle of Indiana.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”