Kansas (Summer), Mizzou, Regent, Western State or try again?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
skippyn8

Kansas (Summer), Mizzou, Regent, Western State or try again?

Postby skippyn8 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:55 pm

Got into the Summer Start Program at KU. (off of waitlist)
Wait listed at Mizzou still.
Wait list at Miami, but not going to attend.
Got into Regent in Virginia Beach with very small grant.
Got into Western State University in CA with $18,500 scholarship but cost of living is enormous. Very regional school (?).
Still waiting to hear from Oregon.

Would be out of State at all schools.

Interested in doing a MA in Journalism as well. With hopes of maybe being a Media Law Professor or Intellectual Property emphasis.
Also have interest in Tax Law and Estate Planning.

Payment for Summer program at Kansas is due by the end of this week (Apr 29), and I know Mizzou won't review again until two weeks from now. Oregon appears to be on the same schedule, but I think I was too late there.

Visited Lawrence, KS and Columbia, MO and was not impressed with Lawrence but not utterly disappointed. LOVED Columbia in comparison.

What do I do? Pay the Kansas seat deposit and hope to hear from Mizzou/Oregon in the next few weeks? Kansas Summer classes start at the end of May! I would have to move me and my wife there in a matter or weeks. In-state tuition sounds impossible at Kansas whereas Missouri is easy.

I have lived in Orange County (Western State), and loved it but it COSTS SO MUCH to live there that I feel the $18,500 scholarship is just equalizing cost of living at other schools. Same with Regent as far as cost of living in Virginia Beach. Not planning on BigLaw or the paychecks, so not wanting MASS DEBT for law school.

I've also considered taking LSAT (again) along with the GRE this summer. I could apply to grad schools. Also apply earlier to law schools than I did (December-Feb) with possibly a higher LSAT score though I am not confident I will get much higher than 160's (bad standardized test taker). This might allow for Scholarships or at least in-state tuition if accepted to grad school. Didn't apply to any in-state schools as both are in the top 45 schools and wasn't confident enough.

Did I underestimate myself? I applied late to most schools (January-March). Should I try again or take what I got? Been out of school for 2 years. 27 years old.

mrtoren

Re: Kansas (Summer), Mizzou, Regent, Western State or try again?

Postby mrtoren » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:40 pm

If I had to choose the lesser of the evils..it would be Mizzou if you get admitted. However, re-taking and reapplying earlier in the cycle would be preferable.

t3hevildonut

Postby t3hevildonut » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:03 pm

mrtoren wrote:If I had to choose the lesser of the evils..it would be Mizzou if you get admitted. However, re-taking and reapplying earlier in the cycle would be preferable.
Last edited by t3hevildonut on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Where do you want to work?

skippyn8

Postby skippyn8 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:27 pm

t3hevildonut wrote:
mrtoren wrote:If I had to choose the lesser of the evils..it would be Mizzou if you get admitted. However, re-taking and reapplying earlier in the cycle would be preferable.

Why Mizzou? Don't go to Regent, that's for certain.

Mizzou has a great Journalism Department which is my undergrad. I have considered very heavily doing a joint-degree. Mizzou is also extremely affordable in that you can get in-state after only a year. In-state at Kansas they make it sound down right impossible. I visited and loved Mizzou's campus. There Law facilities need work which is why their rankings have been dropping so much I think (no plugs in classroom, need more clinics).

Out of all of the schools Mizzou 'feels' like the best fit.

What experience do you have with Regent?
Remembering that I am Christian, from Utah, and have grown up in very conservative atmosphere. My biggest down to them is return on investment. Really expensive school and cost of living for a 4 tier not so much worth it, but it is in Virginia.

skippyn8

Postby skippyn8 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:29 pm

bk1 wrote:Where do you want to work?

Willing to work anywhere, but Midwest, Pacific, or Mountain are my leanings. Eventually want to have own practice or partnership and/or teach.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:32 pm

skippyn8 wrote:

Willing to work anywhere, but Midwest, Pacific, or Mountain are my leanings. Eventually want to have own practice or partnership and/or teach.

You've got a strong GPA. You shouldn't waste it with a 152.

1. Study 5 months
2. Retake in October
3. Get 160+
4. Apply November
5. ??????
6. Profit

If you got in the 160 neighborhood you would be looking at some much more awesome options.

skippyn8

Postby skippyn8 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:41 pm

1. Study 5 months
2. Retake in October
3. Get 160+
4. Apply November
5. ??????
6. Profit

If you got in the 160 neighborhood you would be looking at some much more awesome options.

Thanks. That is exactly how I am starting to lean and because of this is why I'm even considering not going this year. I just don't want to go through it all again. :-)

Any advice on if I apply to the same schools (Missouri, Kansas) if I need to get new Letters of Rec and totally revise my personal statement?

Other ideas of how to boost my resume while also focusing on the higher LSAT as well from now til October?

I never wanted to be one of those take the LSAT twice and delay another year people, but I feel like I forced myself with the lack of time to prepare and timely application submissions.

t3hevildonut

Postby t3hevildonut » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Last edited by t3hevildonut on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skippyn8

Postby skippyn8 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Anybody have thoughts on Western State and the basically half-tuition scholarship I am possibly turning down?

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:59 pm

skippyn8 wrote:Anybody have thoughts on Western State and the basically half-tuition scholarship I am possibly turning down?

Is it a for-profit law school? Yes? Don't go.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:00 pm

skippyn8 wrote:Anybody have thoughts on Western State and the basically half-tuition scholarship I am possibly turning down?

It is a fourth tier school in California. You'll be vastly outranked by Stanford, Boalt, UCLA, USC, Loyola, Pepperdine, UCI, Hastings,...and so on and so on...in a state with a struggling market.
You probably won't find anyone on this board who would recommend attending Western State with a full ride, let alone only half-tuition.

It's not uncommon to take another year and really focus on your app and your LSAT. It's a huge investment. Might as well take your time so you can go to a school with better-than-abysmal job prospects.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:12 pm

cubswin wrote:

please enlighten me what is for-profit law school? aren't all law schools for profits?

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:20 pm

red_alertz wrote:
cubswin wrote:

please enlighten me what is for-profit law school? aren't all law schools for profits?

Only if you stretch the word "profit" well beyond its actual meaning. This is the law school equivalent of University of Phoenix or Everest College.

Turtledove

Postby Turtledove » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:26 pm

cubswin wrote:
red_alertz wrote:
cubswin wrote:

Only if you stretch the word "profit" well beyond its actual meaning. This is the law school equivalent of University of Phoenix or Everest College.

Red_Alertz is a troll

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:30 pm

you are an alt, if u r not going ot be helpful, disappear plz

Turtledove

Postby Turtledove » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:33 pm

red_alertz wrote:you are an alt, if u r not going ot be helpful, disappear plz

Haha good try with your sneaky troll bait via absurd claims of alting and ridiculous internet speak that goads me into mocking you.

The trolling force is strong with you, but I will leave now and let others provide useful input to OP.

(To OP and others, don't let him goad you into another thread derail)

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:48 pm

Turtledove wrote:
red_alertz wrote:you are an alt, if u r not going ot be helpful, disappear plz

Haha good try with your sneaky troll bait via absurd claims of alting and ridiculous internet speak that goads me into mocking you.

The trolling force is strong with you, but I will leave now and let others provide useful input to OP.

(To OP and others, don't let him goad you into another thread derail)

i do not troll, so, peace be with u

jonillson

Postby jonillson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:38 pm

PinkCow wrote:
skippyn8 wrote:

1. Study 5 months
2. Retake in October
3. Get 160+
4. Apply November
5. ??????
6. Profit

This.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:03 pm

jonillson wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
skippyn8 wrote:

1. Study 5 months
2. Retake in October
3. Get 160+
4. Apply November
5. ??????
6. Profit

This.

I really like Mizzou if you wanna work there, great school. Retaking is definitely the right answer here though. Get a 161 and have huge $$$ at those schools.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skippyn8

Postby skippyn8 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:15 am

Return to “Choosing a Law School”