Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Lots of scholarship recipients did not deposit which frees up grant money.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:11 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Lots of scholarship recipients did not deposit which frees up grant money.


Not necessarily. I would bet that schools overextend scholarship offers like they do with admissions offers because they realize that a certain fraction are not going to attend.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:17 pm

bk1 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Lots of scholarship recipients did not deposit which frees up grant money.


Not necessarily. I would bet that schools overextend scholarship offers like they do with admissions offers because they realize that a certain fraction are not going to attend.


This. Very few schools give out money this late in the cycle. Many of the people they gave $ too withdrew a long time ago. (e.g. I applied all over but withdrew from a bunch once I had a good acceptance or two I really liked.) So even if not extended, it's been re-offered to someone else. A few schools are an exception to this in that they are more forumlaic, but Stetson isn't one of them.

CarEvie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby CarEvie » Sun May 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Sorry it took so long to get back, that string of tornado's came through and it wiped out power in our apartment complex for a bit.

I'm not saying how much I owe. That's a little too personal. And as a previous poster mentioned Vandy does have great financial aid packages. I just took out personal loans for things I didn't really need. Like off campus housing, and spending money for studying aboard, and spring break. My LSAT score was a 155. Nothing to write home about but no reason to drown myself in the bathtub either. :D For those curious the only school that I got into with my score that I liked was Suffolk University but I can't afford it nor can I afford to live in the Boston Areas without going poor and starving myself to death. Which isn't a pleasant scenario.

I'm highly considering retaking as everyone suggested. I'm a well rounded student with decent academic scores and an athlete and I know I can get into a better school if I pick it up that LSAT score by a few points. I even registered for June's LSAT. (Though if I go that route October might be better. Longer to study.)

Admittedly I am still considering Phoenix and Widener because they are willing to up aid package if I sign on the dotted line and both have offered work study to help me pay back my loans. Plus, their requirements aren't too hard. I just have to stay good standing and for Phoenix help out in some Academic Success Program. No 2.9 - 3.0 GPA or high class rank standings like the others so it seems like a good deal as far as that is concerned.

I'm just not sure. I'm eager to join the rest of my classmates in the real world but I realize rush things and not thinking long term is what got me in trouble in the first place.

Thank you for all the feedback and advice. I'm soaking it all up and seriously pondering it hardcore.

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby mpj_3050 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:25 pm

CarEvie wrote:For those curious the only school that I got into with my score that I liked was Suffolk University but I can't afford it nor can I afford to live in the Boston Areas without going poor and starving myself to death. Which isn't a pleasant scenario.


You've already made one smart decision so make another one-retake.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby akili » Sun May 01, 2011 8:29 pm

OP--

You seem like a smart person, please retake! I know it's tempting to just get started with things, but taking a year to work has been awesome. I don't have debt from UG, but retaking the LSAT (and really focusing on it) drastically changed my opportunities. Take the year, pay off some more of your UG loans and rock the LSAT.

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby Magnolia » Sun May 01, 2011 8:53 pm

OP - I'm reposting the quote below from another thread because I think it warrants your attention. You need to find out what constitutes "good academic standing" at these schools. As the quote notes, some schools have curves that requite a certain percentage of their class not maintain good academic standing each year, so your scholarship may have de facto stips without your realizing it.

Lwoods wrote:For example, OSU's good standing GPA is 2.0. The curve is:
* A's - 30 percent
* B's - 60 percent
* C's - 10 percent
* D's and E's - Not more than 4 percent with the direction that a D or E should be given only when inferior performance is clearly demonstrated

So, the curve allows for all students to remain in good standing, though up to 14% (if all C's are C-'s) could fall below. Some schools (such as Whittier) have their curves set up such that a good portion of the class must fall below the good standing GPA.

Whittier requires a 77 to remain in good standing. Like OSU's 2.0, this is a C average requirement. However, this is their 1L distribution for Whittier:
A' s 0 - 10%
B' s 15 - 25%
Cumulative A’s and B' s 15 - 30%
C' s 35 - 65%
D' s 20 - 35%
F' s 0 - 10%
Cumulative D' s and F' s 20 - 35%

At least 20% of Whittier 1Ls must be on poor standing after 1L year, and up to 85% (if all C's are C-'s) could fall below. The funny thing is, they have this posted in a pdf on their website. Of course, it's a 24 page pdf, so you have to know what you're looking for.


Edit: I definitely think that you should retake/reapply. But if you're going to consider either of these schools, this is something that you absolutely need to investigate.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby dr123 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:55 pm

Offtopic, but why in the hell do people take out a bunch of loans for undergrad? Theres always some school that will give you a sizable scholarship. I don't see how a Bachelors degree could possibly be worth more than 40k

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun May 01, 2011 9:02 pm

CarEvie wrote:Admittedly I am still considering Phoenix and Widener because they are willing to up aid package if I sign on the dotted line and both have offered work study to help me pay back my loans. throwing my financial life, already in a precarious position, off the edge of a cliff

1. Stop considering any schools you've been accepted to
2. Study like for the LSAT like you've never studied before
3. If you don't improve your score dramatically, don't go to LS

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby bk1 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:03 pm

CarEvie wrote:My LSAT score was a 155. Nothing to write home about but no reason to drown myself in the bathtub either. :D


I hate to break it to you, but a 155 LSAT is really bad. While it is around the 50th percentile, the simple fact is that roughly half of people who take the LSAT never go to law school. Generally those people comprise the bottom half of LSAT takers and thus a roughly 50th percentile LSAT school puts you at the bottom of all law school students and means you will only really have a shot at the worst law schools in the country.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby dr123 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:04 pm

bk1 wrote:
CarEvie wrote:My LSAT score was a 155. Nothing to write home about but no reason to drown myself in the bathtub either. :D


I hate to break it to you, but a 155 LSAT is really bad. While it is around the 50th percentile, the simple fact is that roughly half of people who take the LSAT never go to law school. Generally those people comprise the bottom half of LSAT takers and thus a roughly 50th percentile LSAT school puts you at the bottom of all law school students and means you will only really have a shot at the worst law schools in the country.


Really? Where do you get that from? There are a lot of TTTTs with 150 and below medians

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby bk1 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:16 pm

dr123 wrote:Really? Where do you get that from? There are a lot of TTTTs with 150 and below medians


I said generally. I could be wrong, but intuitively it would make more sense that below median LSAT scorers are less likely to go to law school than above median LSAT scorers.

Even if that isn't true, the fact remains that a 155 LSAT isn't going to get someone into a good enough school. When lower T1's can barely put half their class into full time legal employment things, you really need to do better than a 155 LSAT.

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby red_alertz » Sun May 01, 2011 10:22 pm

155 is well over 60% percentile, it's not bad, those three are OK schools if OP wants to go, but retake is a good option as well, either way its a choice of preferences, OP should be OK

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby bk1 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:37 pm

red_alertz wrote:155 is well over 60% percentile, it's not bad, those three are OK schools if OP wants to go, but retake is a good option as well, either way its a choice of preferences, OP should be OK


You are an awful troll and the fact that you spread misinformation is an absolute travesty.

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby red_alertz » Mon May 02, 2011 1:17 am

bk1 wrote:
red_alertz wrote:155 is well over 60% percentile, it's not bad, those three are OK schools if OP wants to go, but retake is a good option as well, either way its a choice of preferences, OP should be OK


You are an awful troll and the fact that you spread misinformation is an absolute travesty.


I think you are wrong, 155 is almost 65%, which is better than over half of the test takers, those are not GREAT schools, or in typical TLS mentality, T-14 or bust, but they are ok , it's up to OP if he wants to retake/or go with one of the schools, i think it's better if you stop predicting absolute doom for other ppl's future

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby stratocophic » Mon May 02, 2011 1:20 am

red_alertz wrote:
bk1 wrote:
red_alertz wrote:155 is well over 60% percentile, it's not bad, those three are OK schools if OP wants to go, but retake is a good option as well, either way its a choice of preferences, OP should be OK


You are an awful troll and the fact that you spread misinformation is an absolute travesty.


I think you are wrong, 155 is almost 65%, which is better than over half of the test takers, those are not GREAT schools, or in typical TLS mentality, T-14 or bust, but they are ok , it's up to OP if he wants to retake/or go with one of the schools, i think it's better if you stop predicting absolute doom for other ppl's future
Way too obvious. I'd give it a 142, definitely no better than top 40% of trolling on this board, probably bottom 10% for all internet boards combined. Keep working at it though!

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby red_alertz » Mon May 02, 2011 1:26 am

you guys spread pessimism that's not entirely true and although with good intention, it doesn't necessarily help the posters, you can tell OP it's hard to succeed if no retake, but the same can be said for most law schools, let OP decides his own future, surely his work ethic and experience in whichever law school he chooses will have more impact than to say, our predictions based on LSAT alone

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby stratocophic » Mon May 02, 2011 1:27 am

red_alertz wrote:you guys spread pessimism that's not entirely true and although with good intention, it doesn't necessarily help the posters, you can tell OP it's hard to succeed if no retake, but the same can be said for most law schools, let OP decides his own future, surely his work ethic and experience in whichever law school he chooses will have more impact than to say, our predictions based on LSAT alone
See? Better quality already!

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby niederbomb » Mon May 02, 2011 9:05 am

CarEvie wrote:However I am from a lower middle class family and I took out tons of loans to pay for my undergrad career. Loans I can't even pay back, and I work two crappy jobs. So here's the score. I was accepted to on full rides or at least very,very close to it to the followings schools: Mississippi School of Law, Phoenix School of Law, Ava Maria, Widener law, Touro law, Florida A & M, and Florida Coastal.


"Law Students Lose the Grant Game as Schools Win"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... rants.html

After reading, I suggest retake/reapply.

lic06003
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby lic06003 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:30 pm

hi,
I got a 155 too and my gpa was only like a 3.4somethingish. I'm not a URM, but I got into Uconn Law (thank god). I know 155 isnt exactly the most stellar score in terms of TLS, but dont beat yourself over it. Since you have UG debt, just retake, it would help you out a lot. I'm more concerned on how you even have UG debt, usually UG schools throw out cash by the bundles. I even made money off of my UG.
Good luck with everything :)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: guybourdin and 1 guest