Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CarEvie

Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby CarEvie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:31 pm

I need some advice on choosing a law school so I decided to make an account and seek some advice from some people who may have been here before. I'm trying to choose between some not so amazing future law schools. I applied to any school that would give me a fee wavier and location isn't a big deal. I'm originally from NY and moved to TN for undergraduate. I wouldn't mind moving again.

I did okay enough on my LSAT's. To be fully honest a little bit below the average but nothing that would harm me. I have a great GPA ( 3.7 to 3.8 ) and I'm graduating from a top ranked undergrad in Tennessee with honors. I'm no slouch. However I am from a lower middle class family and I took out tons of loans to pay for my undergrad career. Loans I can't even pay back, and I work two crappy jobs. Even though I did get in to better schools I can't afford it and because my LSAT was so average there are no scholarships or grants headed in my direction.

And, that readers is my trouble.

I have no desire to drag my sorry hide even further into the black money hole. As it is I will be paying off my undergrad even after I graduate law school. I have accepted that because of my foolishness with loans and borrowing in my undergrad I have to accept what I can.

So here's the score. I was accepted to on full rides or atleast very,very close to it to the followings schools: Mississippi School of Law,
Phoenix School of Law, Ava Maria, Widener law, Touro law, Florida A & M, and Florida Coastal.

What school should I choose to attend I know they aren't great. I know my chances of finding a decent career after are going to be slim. And I'm not foolish enough to believe that I will rock law school, get in the top 10 and transfer out. I fully understand what I am getting myself into I assure you of that.

With that said I'm leaning towards Mississippi, Phoenix or Widener.

I'd love to hear your thoughts or any advice from someone whose been in my position and had to choose between stickers at Tier 3's and Tier 4's or full at a Tier 2.

Carly E.

bk1

Re: Choices of A Poor UnderGrad Student... Help a Gal' Out.

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:33 pm

CarEvie wrote:because my LSAT was so average

So retake the LSAT.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:36 pm

bk1 wrote:

So retake the LSAT.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:37 pm

bk1 wrote:

So retake the LSAT.

Retake. Definitely retake. Then retake again if it does not work out at first. Then if your score is still not good enough, find another career.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:37 pm

bk1 wrote:

So retake the LSAT.

This. You score anywhere in the high 160's you will get $$ from T25ish schools. 170ish and you will even get some $ at t14.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Can you really not wait a year and retake the LSAT??? I mean, those schools aren't the greatest options, and with that GPA a better LSAT would get you $$$ at Tier 1 schools. Also, by putting off LS, perhaps you could try paying down some of that UG debt.

Having said that, if you insist on going to law school this fall, you'd want to pick a school in the region where you intend to take the bar/practice.

But, honestly... Wait and Retake.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Last edited by stratocophic on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:50 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
bk1 wrote:

So retake the LSAT.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:50 pm

CarEvie wrote:I need some advice on choosing a law school so I decided to make an account and seek some advice from some people who may have been here before. I'm trying to choose between some not so amazing future law schools. I applied to any school that would give me a fee wavier and location isn't a big deal. I'm originally from NY and moved to TN for undergraduate. I wouldn't mind moving again.

I did okay enough on my LSAT's. To be fully honest a little bit below the average but nothing that would harm me. I have a great GPA ( 3.7 to 3.8 ) and I'm graduating from a top ranked undergrad in Tennessee with honors. I'm no slouch. However I am from a lower middle class family and I took out tons of loans to pay for my undergrad career. Loans I can't even pay back, and I work two crappy jobs. Even though I did get in to better schools I can't afford it and because my LSAT was so average there are no scholarships or grants headed in my direction.

And, that readers is my trouble.

I have no desire to drag my sorry hide even further into the black money hole. As it is I will be paying off my undergrad even after I graduate law school. I have accepted that because of my foolishness with loans and borrowing in my undergrad I have to accept what I can.

So here's the score. I was accepted to on full rides or atleast very,very close to it to the followings schools: Mississippi School of Law,
Phoenix School of Law, Ava Maria, Widener law, Touro law, Florida A & M, and Florida Coastal.

What school should I choose to attend I know they aren't great. I know my chances of finding a decent career after are going to be slim. And I'm not foolish enough to believe that I will rock law school, get in the top 10 and transfer out. I fully understand what I am getting myself into I assure you of that.

With that said I'm leaning towards Mississippi, Phoenix or Widener.

I'd love to hear your thoughts or any advice from someone whose been in my position and had to choose between stickers at Tier 3's and Tier 4's or full at a Tier 2.

How much UG debt do you have exactly?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:00 pm

rad law wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
bk1 wrote:

So retake the LSAT.

Wait - slightly below average on the LSAT? Like, 50th percentile, average?? So, 151 and down?

Retake, or don't even bother.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:02 pm

The advice to retake the LSAT is sensible. If you decide to go straight to law school anyway, heavily weigh the conditions that may be attached to the scholarships. If one school only requires that you maintain good standing while the other requires a high GPA or class rank, the first school is a safer choice.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:04 pm

voice of reason wrote:The advice to retake the LSAT is sensible. If you decide to go straight to law school anyway, heavily weigh the conditions that may be attached to the scholarships. If one school only requires that you maintain good standing while the other requires a high GPA or class rank, the first school is a safer choice.

Disagree. Retake or don't go.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:07 pm

At all of those schools, you will be living in that immediate area for the perpetual future, maybe forever. Consider than when choosing. Those schools barely place their grads in the immediate area. They basically don't place at all in medium/large markets or small markets outside their geographic area.

Also, consider GPA restrictions that may exist on those schollys.

The prudent choice is retake or don't go though.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:10 pm

CarEvie wrote: I took out tons of loans to pay for my undergrad career. Loans I can't even pay back, and I work two crappy jobs.

And your brilliant solution is to acquire even more debt to have even crappier employment prospects???

My guess is that your LSAT is around 148. I say don't go now and retake.
Last edited by scammedhard on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:11 pm

as everyone will say, retake. But more importantly, don't go to Ave Maria

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:15 pm

scammedhard wrote:
CarEvie wrote: I took out tons of loans to pay for my undergrad career. Loans I can't even pay back, and I work two crappy jobs.

And you brilliant solution is to acquire even more debt to have even crappier employment prospects???

My guess is that your LSAT is around 148. I say don't go now and retake.

I'd consider what taking on more loans will mean. You'll be paying back a ton for law school. And your undergrad loans will grow significantly while deferred during. The job prospects out of any of those schools won't pay enough to pay back the loans (if you get a job at all). IBR would be your only shot, but there is a significant tax bill looming at the end when the rest of the loans are forgiven. On paper, you'd have income in the hundreds of thousands to maybe a $1M. (You won't even pay the interest with IBR, so your loans will grow and grow....at the end, you'll owe significantly more than at graduation and all of that will be considered income.) You'd then have to take a loan out to pay those taxes.

I'm too lazy to do the actual math but 10% of $30-40K isn't even enough to cover the interest on the kinds of loans you'll have, especially if you lose your scholarships. Even if you take on no debt during LS which you will (cost of living), your UG loans will grow and grow.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

esq

Postby esq » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:18 pm

With your options, you'd be better off getting a third job and paying back your current loans. Most likely this is what will await you in three years regardless, only you will have suffered through 3 more years of schooling and 3 more years of interest to pay back on your current loans.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:19 pm

I hear that everyone at Ave Maria has a guaranteed job at graduation at Domino's Pizza

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:25 pm

bk1 wrote:

So retake the LSAT.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:28 pm

Apply to Stetson which has extended its application deadline to July 1. Otherwise, retake & reapply to a different calibre of schools.

P.S. I know the American spelling is "caliber".

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:31 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Apply to Stetson which has extended its application deadline to July 1. Otherwise, retake & reapply to a different calibre of schools.

P.S. I know the American spelling is "caliber".

How will that be any better? OP already has several full-rides at low-tier schools and better acceptances. Stetson may have extended but it's not that much better and OP won't be getting money.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:33 pm

esq wrote:With your options, you'd be better off getting a third job and paying back your current loans. Most likely this is what will await you in three years regardless, only you will have suffered through 3 more years of schooling and 3 more years of interest to pay back on your current loans.

+10000

Law school is not a solution for getting out of soul-crushing debt. If you don't get a legal job when you graduate (which is highly likely coming out of any of these schools) your JD will not make you more employable in other fields than you are right now. In fact, it will probably make you less employable in other fields. If you can't pay off your existing loans on 2 entry level/minimum wage jobs, how are you going to pay off those same loans + 3 years of interest + your COL loans from law school (+ tuition if you go to a school without a full ride or lose your scholarships) with entry level/minimum wage jobs?

Retake the LSAT and get a score high enough to land you a full ride at a good school with decent job prospects or don't go to law school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:38 pm

In the recent past, Stetson has been generous to low to moderate LSAT scorers (3 years full tuition to URMs in the 154 area). Not certain, but OP may be AA--which should help. Stetson is a good school that is desperate for students this year & OP reap some rewards.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:41 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:In the recent past, Stetson has been generous to low to moderate LSAT scorers (3 years full tuition to URMs in the 154 area). Not certain, but OP may be AA--which should help. Stetson is a good school that is desperate for students this year & OP reap some rewards.

Not this late in the cycle. Their money is all handed out. If they had $ to throw around, and the ability to place grads, they wouldn't be hurting for students.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:46 pm

OP: please post your existing amount of debt and LSAT score.

Do not go to any of these schools - they are not the answer for your debt problems. But, you might find an answer to your debt problems if you can get into a good law school with some money. Don't look at law school as an answer for money woes.

I think you should look at the application process all over again using the resources from this forum. People can advise you on all sorts of subjects like how to study, get fee waivers, make a great PS, where to apply, etc.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”