Is it worth waiting a year?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:20 pm

droges wrote:I've pretty much concluded that if BC doesnt offer any aid, and I don't expect them to, I will either wait a year, retake, and apply early or go to UGA, not really have to worry about debt and hope to do exceptionally well, and if I don't I atleast wouldnt be burdened with debt the rest of my life.


Your numbers aren't that far off the T14. Retake, bump a pt or two, apply ED to Michigan, and start in the summer. You'd only graduate a few months later than if you started this year.

Seriously though, you're wasting a good opportunity if you go to either this year.

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby droges » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:37 pm

Blowhard, thats interesting I remeber hearing that Michigan allowed you to enroll early but completely forgot about it. Do you, or anyone else, know of other schools in the T-20 which offer a similar option?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:47 pm

droges wrote:Blowhard, thats interesting I remeber hearing that Michigan allowed you to enroll early but completely forgot about it. Do you, or anyone else, know of other schools in the T-20 which offer a similar option?


None to my knowledge. It is a very rare thing that only a few schools of any ranking offer. Off the top of my head I can think of Michigan and Cardozo, though I think there are a few more.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby northwood » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:09 pm

droges wrote:I applied late with a February LSAT (167, 3.65) and have narrowed it down to:
UGA: COA 55K
BC: ALOT (waiting to hear back from fin. aid office but would be atleast 150k)

I do not have a preference in terms of location, but do hope to have the ability to work for a private firm, either big law or mid size with respectable salary, or work for the government. I know BC places well in Big Law while UGA is not so fortunate. I do not have my heart set on big law, but if I did go the private practice route I would like to start with a respectable salary (90-100k). I would wait a year and reapply which I know would broaden my options, and possibly with a JUne retake open more doors, but I really want to get back into school this year.



the earlier you apply the better your chances are at being accepted at schools you are a reach at, and being offered scholarship money. As long as you have a job lined up for the gap year- tell BC that you are not going to attend b/c you want to save money and reapply on the first day possible. If you think you could score better on a retake- go a head, but those numbers are good enough as is. If you end up not retaking- use the summer to visit some schools and start your research about each school and save money. hth

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby droges » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Yea I know I can do better than my 167. The 167 was my second time, the first time I got a 163, but IMO that was due to the fact that I had two tests the day before and part of my senior thesis due that week. But enough with rationalizations, I was still upset with my 167 b/c I felt like I messed up the last two logic games (typically my most solid section). My only concern is, God forbid, I don't do better in June. Can anyone speak to this point?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:22 pm

droges wrote:Yea I know I can do better than my 167. The 167 was my second time, the first time I got a 163, but IMO that was due to the fact that I had two tests the day before and part of my senior thesis due that week. But enough with rationalizations, I was still upset with my 167 b/c I felt like I messed up the last two logic games (typically my most solid section). My only concern is, God forbid, I don't do better in June. Can anyone speak to this point?


Almost all take the highest so you'd be in no worse position than right now. Except, you'd be re-applying earlier and still have a significantly better shot at better schools or money.

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby droges » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:01 pm

In that case, I am seriously considering waiting a year. The possibility of doing worse or having a cancel on my application was what made me apprehensive. Obviously, I don't want either of those scenarios to arise but I feel more confident now about applying early next year.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 pm

If you wait a year, do you have any work opportunities ?

P.S. @Sandro: I noted Indiana's generous scholarship pattern to let the OP know that there likely will be similiar opportunities next cycle since the OP expressed concern in that respect. This allows OP to reapply to a number of law schools with a reasonably expected degree of security of an offer similiar to Georgia's.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:25 am

droges wrote:I've pretty much concluded that if BC doesnt offer any aid, and I don't expect them to, I will either wait a year, retake, and apply early or go to UGA, not really have to worry about debt and hope to do exceptionally well, and if I don't I atleast wouldnt be burdened with debt the rest of my life.

Sounds a lot like me and NDLS (though I'm on the waitlist)

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby droges » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:09 am

I just recently quit my job at State Street, which I only had since my graduation in January. I'm sure some people will call me crazy, but it was the worst job/ experience I have ever had. If anyone on this board is familiar with corporate actions, I think they will sympathize with me. I do have a couple opportunities going forward. First, I am thinking of looking for a legal internship or something. Second, I may apply to some other finance jobs with different responsibilities than my last. Third, since I was on my schools Alpine Ski team and raced competitively in college, I have connections with people who are instructors at Vail in Colorado and could work there. Finally, I could manage my father's business which he is looking to get out of. So, I feel like I have some options in terms of work opportunities, I just have to see which is best for me. Any thoughts on which could boost the resume the most? Or what is the best way to spend the year in between school?

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:36 am

droges wrote:I just recently quit my job at State Street, which I only had since my graduation in January. I'm sure some people will call me crazy, but it was the worst job/ experience I have ever had. If anyone on this board is familiar with corporate actions, I think they will sympathize with me. I do have a couple opportunities going forward. First, I am thinking of looking for a legal internship or something. Second, I may apply to some other finance jobs with different responsibilities than my last. Third, since I was on my schools Alpine Ski team and raced competitively in college, I have connections with people who are instructors at Vail in Colorado and could work there. Finally, I could manage my father's business which he is looking to get out of. So, I feel like I have some options in terms of work opportunities, I just have to see which is best for me. Any thoughts on which could boost the resume the most? Or what is the best way to spend the year in between school?


schools won't care in the least. do what you are happyist doing!

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:53 am

gwuorbust wrote:schools won't care in the least. do what you are happyist doing!


I vote skiing. Schools love unique stories. In my class we have the male vocal singer from a disney movie (also was on Nip/Tuck), veterans (cop, fighter pilot, etc), people that were in Iraq with NGOs, a guy who co-founded a Mexican Tequila brewery, an Asst Dir of Grad admissions, and a bunch of other cool stories.

If you do apply to Michigan, Dean Z loves public service and related experience. It's one thing she seems to use to filter out the douches. (Something M prides itself on.)

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby droges » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. I was thinkning of doing something public service related before the winter, either volunteering part time at a legal services non profit, or working in another non profit part time.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:21 pm

droges wrote:Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. I was thinkning of doing something public service related before the winter, either volunteering part time at a legal services non profit, or working in another non profit part time.


To clarify, the public service need not be legally related. I was an EMT/Fire Fighter and a cop in the military. (Not only did I get in, I was referenced by Dean Z in an interview about the public service nature of my class.) Others i know of worked with the mentally ill, one worked at a homeless shelter, etc.

I'd take something that shows leadership, responsibility, etc over filing papers at a legal non-profit any day.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby Naked Dude » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:15 pm

paratactical wrote:Don't get me wrong, it fucking sucks, but if you can, waiting a year could be very profitable for you. In addition to having a year to get WE that might help your applications, you could attempt to retake the LSAT and further pay down any existing debt that you have. Having less debt, a savings, a better resume and a potentially better LSAT is all worth it even if your scholarship offers aren't dramatically different. And even if BC doesn't give you more money, you might stand a shot at getting into better schools.

edit: This is def my personal position as I have decided to delay law school several years so that I can have a baller resume, no debt and (hopefully) a baller LSAT instead of my mediocre score I got the first go round. IMO, it's a smart financial decision, but YMMV.


I agree with everything else you said, but I highly doubt that a single year of work experience really does anything for you. When do most people graduate college? The end of May? So between the time you start working (June if you're lucky enough to have a job lined up) and the time you need to start finishing up your applications and sending them in as early as possible (September-October), that's 3-4 months of work experience. 6 months at the most if you apply late. I refuse to believe that helps. Also, if you have a really good job, one that would really help your resume, you'd be a fool to stay only one year. Stay for the contacts, a letter, and some money. Taking one year off means that you're studying for the LSAT again while you adjust to post-college life, and have a few months of work experience before you apply. If you're serious about getting awesome WE and not just boosting your LSAT, you need more than a year.

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby droges » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:25 pm

So I received an email today from BC with a scholarship offer for 15k a year with a 2.0 stipulation. IMO if I cant keep a 2.0 I have bigger problems than losing a scholarship so baiscally it would cost about 100-115k to attend BC. Does anyone think this changes anything?

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby Magnolia » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:36 pm

droges wrote:So I received an email today from BC with a scholarship offer for 15k a year with a 2.0 stipulation. IMO if I cant keep a 2.0 I have bigger problems than losing a scholarship so baiscally it would cost about 100-115k to attend BC. Does anyone think this changes anything?

100k for BC is a pretty good option, provided you're willing to live in NYC or Boston. It gives you a decent chance at biglaw but you won't be fucked over by debt if you don't get it.

There are lots of benefits to waiting a year, but if you really want to start in the fall, I don't think you'd be making a huge mistake to go to BC.

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby droges » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:39 pm

Maybe try and pull the old see if I can get them to up the offer? I think it would be worth the try just to see ho much I can get. Anyone agree?

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:26 pm

droges wrote:So I received an email today from BC with a scholarship offer for 15k a year with a 2.0 stipulation. IMO if I cant keep a 2.0 I have bigger problems than losing a scholarship so baiscally it would cost about 100-115k to attend BC. Does anyone think this changes anything?


Are you living with family or something? Even with 15k a year, BC over 3 years would cost near 140k+.

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby droges » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:00 pm

Maybe my estimates are incorrect but the way I looked at it was:
$27,000 tuition
$3,000 books
$700 month for an apartment= $8400/ year
$2,000 living expenses

about $40,000 a year, and I would get a little help from my parents so closer to 120k I guess. But my numbers could be completely wrong.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby ahduth » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:48 pm

droges wrote:So I received an email today from BC with a scholarship offer for 15k a year with a 2.0 stipulation. IMO if I cant keep a 2.0 I have bigger problems than losing a scholarship so baiscally it would cost about 100-115k to attend BC. Does anyone think this changes anything?


I'd personally wait a year (or years), retake and get into the T14. Sounds like you're amenable to the idea of taking a year off, and it sounds like you feel you can improve your score.

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby droges » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:45 am

I'm still leaning towards waiting a year and retaking, but I would like to attempt to get more money from BC. Does anyone have any advice on what to write and who to address the email to? I'm probably going to write something along the lines of how I have lived in Boston for the past four years, want to remain in the area but over 100k in debt is a huge financial burden to currently finance and if there is anything else they could offer to make this decision easier. I would love to attend BC but might be forced to wait and reapply to BC, along with other schools, in the fall.

Recommendations?

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby firemed » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:46 am

I would wait a year, personally.

Of course, I probably should've taken a year off and retook.... so... yeah...

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Postby droges » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:28 am

Any advice on writing the scholarship letter?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests