LAST MINUTE DECISION - Michigan $$ vs Georgetown $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Indecision 2011

Georgetown
27%
Michigan
73%

Total votes: 88

molomloch

LAST MINUTE DECISION - Michigan $$ vs Georgetown $$

Postby molomloch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:03 pm

I have to make a decision with 24-48 hours, still can't decide.

With scholarships, CoA for both schools is the same.

That said, I love D.C. and am not totally down for the whole "college town" experience Michigan has to offer. I'm a California native, and am 51% sure I'd like to return after school. Then again, I'll probably try applying to firms in other big cities.

I know everyone says Michigan is the obvious choice for jobs, etc., but I'd so rather do the D.C. thing, having now visited both schools.

EDIT: Does anyone have any hard data comparing job prospects for both schools? Preferably not published by either...
Last edited by molomloch on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Re: LAST MINUTE DECISION - Michigan $$ vs Georgetown $$

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Michigan, the hands down better school at equal cost.

While GULC is in DC, it places predominantly in NYC (as does UMich). DC is going to be a tough market to crack and is going to take great grades from either school so don't count on being able to get to DC.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Even though you may prefer living in DC, the placement difference between Gtown and UM is actually pretty significant. Up to you though. Also, remember that getting back to CA will be hard, and that DC is a tough market to crack.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:07 pm

I'd take Michigan unless you really hate Ann Arbor...3 years in Ann Arbor > being unemployed.

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:09 pm

You need to decide if your desire to be in DC outweighs the boost Michigan will give you when it comes time to find a job.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:10 pm

molomloch wrote:I'm a California native, and am 51% sure I'd like to return after school.

Michigan.

molomloch wrote:Then again, I'll probably try applying to firms in other big cities.

Michigan.

molomloch wrote:I know everyone says Michigan is the obvious choice for jobs, etc., but I'd so rather do the D.C. thing, having now visited both schools.

Then why make the poll? You know the stats probably better than we do. If you want to go to DC, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. It's a good town and the weather is much better. But don't be surprised if the Hoyas are crushed in the poll.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:11 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Even though you may prefer living in DC, the placement difference between Gtown and UM is actually pretty significant. Up to you though. Also, remember that getting back to CA will be hard, and that DC is a tough market to crack.

Idk, about 100 graduates of the class of 2008 - 2010 ended up in LA or SF so Michigan might be the better choice. I'm biased though. Check this out: http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/factsa ... fault.aspx

You can click on the city and see how many people went to each market.

EDITED THE BOLD OP. Sorry bout that fuck up.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Georgetown because it is your clear preference.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:17 pm

I also vote Gtown. Cost is the same and it's where you want to be.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm a Calif native too, and lived in DC for several years and spent a summer in Ann Arbor.

DC is lots more fun than Ann Arbor. But you're going to law school to earn a professional credential and get a job as a lawyer. The job prospects coming out of Michigan are better, so I would go to Michigan. Ann Arbor has lots of good qualities. You should be able to enjoy yourself there too, and you can always try for a summer job in DC to get your DC experience.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Michigan by a longshot

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Mich places better but you seem to really want to be in DC. Happiness has got to account for something. Tough call. Go with your gut. Being miserable is not fun.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:10 pm

I voted GULC on the supposition that you'll be much happier being there for 3 years versus being in Ann Arbor. Yes, Michigan > GULC ceteris paribus, but I'd bet that GULC and happy > Michigan and 'eh' (probably). If that last claim is a bit too strong, it's at least more like: GULC and happy = Michigan and 'eh'.

But, of course, if this supposition is questionable, then go to Mich.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:26 pm

I voted GULC. The difference in prestige/placement isn't enough to justify living in a place that you won't fully enjoy. Plus, I'm going to GULC!

molomloch

Postby molomloch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:27 pm

My reason for posting is that I've been completely unable to find any honest, reliable data proving that job prospects are actually better at Michigan...I'd hate to spend three years in Ann Arbor, under the illusion of doing the right thing for my career, when in reality I would have been just as well off at GULC...

molomloch

Postby molomloch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:27 pm

The Gentleman wrote:I voted GULC. The difference in prestige/placement isn't enough to justify living in a place that you won't fully enjoy. Plus, I'm going to GULC!

Where else did you get in? Nevermind...just saw your LSN...with those $$ anyone would be going to Georgetown :P

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:31 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:Even though you may prefer living in DC, the placement difference between Gtown and UM is actually pretty significant. Up to you though. Also, remember that getting back to CA will be hard, and that DC is a tough market to crack.

Idk, about 100 graduates of the class of 2010 ended up in LA or SF so Michigan might be the better choice. I'm biased though. Check this out: http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/factsa ... fault.aspx

That's 100 graduates (97 to be exact) over three years. So about 32-33 per year.

random924

Postby random924 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:32 pm

As someone who's spent 3 summers living in Ann Arbor, I'm here to tell you that it can be fun as hell. There are a million restaurants and fun cultural activities and plenty of bars and even a few fun clubs (if that's what you're into). It's not, of course, quite the same as living in a big city like DC, but given the little bit of free time you're likely to have, I really don't think you'll find yourself lacking in options in AA.

Go Michigan!

(For the record, I'm going to Stanford and I have no ulterior motives).

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:35 pm

molomloch wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:I voted GULC. The difference in prestige/placement isn't enough to justify living in a place that you won't fully enjoy. Plus, I'm going to GULC!

Where else did you get in? Nevermind...just saw your LSN...with those $$ anyone would be going to Georgetown :P

To be quite honest, I liked Georgetown and DC so much that I probably would have picked it over Penn at similar/equal cost. But then again I have no interest in biglaw.

Seriously though, you should go with your gut and pick the school where you would be happier. Good luck!

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:38 pm

molomloch wrote:My reason for posting is that I've been completely unable to find any honest, reliable data proving that job prospects are actually better at Michigan...I'd hate to spend three years in Ann Arbor, under the illusion of doing the right thing for my career, when in reality I would have been just as well off at GULC...

I mean, by what measurement is Michigan not better? My apologies if that sounds kinda harsh, but I think Michigan probably exceeds Georgetown in nearly every metric (save one, which doesn't seem to be relevant to your interests). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall:

Firm placement: Michigan http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681 http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202483173162&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1
Geographic mobility: Michigan (There was a compilation somebody here did that showed how much Michigan grads dispersed across the country, but I can't find it now).
West coast placement of class: Michigan (Michigan has averaged 8-10% into California over the past three years, and Georgetown put 8% into the whole west coast)
Clerkships: Michigan http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149333&p=4122116&hilit=clerkship#p4122116
Academia: Michigan http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150721&p=4188514&hilit=academia#p4188514
Government: Georgetown

That said, if you really disliked Ann Arbor that much (and it's not just because you like being able to tell people you go to Georgetown Law and watch people's mouths drop open - which, I admit, is cool - Georgetown just sounds badass), then go to Georgetown. It's still a great school.

Edit: Included links since you asked for information.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:00 pm

Hands down Michigan. I visited both, I got to Michigan, and know lots of people at g-town. Everyone I know who chose it over M, wish they would have come here instead.

Edit: Not trying to start a flame war, but people at g-town got owned at OCI. Lots of firms interview because they're already there but that doesn't mean they offer and not many got a job. Granted this is from anecdotal information I've been told by current students (who did get jobs at OCI btw). Also, Michigan is a large school but feels small.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:36 pm

With my options it made absolutely no sense to go to Georgetown financially. I actually got more money from a T10 school. With that being said, it was very hard to say no to Georgetown. I loved the campus and Washington DC is my favorite city on the east coast (save Miami). I'm not advocating for Gtown over Michigan necessarily, but I understand how tough this decision can be. Had the money been the same at the T10 and GULC....I may have decided differently...

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:38 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:With my options it made absolutely no sense to go to Georgetown financially. I actually got more money from a T10 school. With that being said, it was very hard to say no to Georgetown. I loved the campus and Washington DC is my favorite city on the east coast (save Miami). I'm not advocating for Gtown over Michigan necessarily, but I understand how tough this decision can be. Had the money been the same at the T10 and GULC....I may have decided differently...

I feel you. I love DC but I couldn't justify it over more money at two T6s. OP go be a Wolverine.

molomloch

Postby molomloch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:09 pm

I just discovered Law School Transparency. Yes, I am that retarded. Well, my decision is made for me I guess!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:15 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

Idk, about 100 graduates of the class of 2010 ended up in LA or SF so Michigan might be the better choice. I'm biased though. Check this out: http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/factsa ... fault.aspx

That's 100 graduates (97 to be exact) over three years. So about 32-33 per year.

Yeah, I fucked that up. I think the lounge is getting to me. Fixed my post.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”