NU (sticker) vs. UT (in-state)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NU (sticker)
73%
UT (in-state)
27%

Total votes: 15

Stellangus

Postby Stellangus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:33 pm

I need to decide between these two this week. I would like to go into biglaw right out of school and transition into government at some point down the line.

The cost difference is obviously a significant factor but location is also very important to me. I do not want to work/live in Texas and would ideally like to end up in the northeast but also like Chicago and would not be disappointed if I stayed there after school.

Also very interested in clerking either right out of school or after a couple years of work and am not sure which school will set me up better to do this.

Magnolia

Re: NU (sticker) vs. UT (in-state)

Postby Magnolia » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Stellangus wrote:I need to decide between these two this week. I would like to go into biglaw right out of school and transition into government at some point down the line.

The cost difference is obviously a significant factor but location is also very important to me. I do not want to work/live in Texas and would ideally like to end up in the northeast but also like Chicago and would not be disappointed if I stayed there after school.

Also very interested in clerking either right out of school or after a couple years of work and am not sure which school will set me up better to do this.

NU places better in biglaw than UT
NU places better in Chicago and the NE than UT
NU places the same or better into clerkships than UT

Unless you're extremely debt averse, go to NU.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:59 pm

NU tends to have better placement than UT. You also said you have no interest in living or working in Texas. This is a really simple choice.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:12 pm

I voted NU because go Wildcats. What's the real money difference? I'm too lazy to look up UT instate sticker.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Despite the 50k+ difference, UT is still going to cost you 150k in debt.

While NU at sticker is a risky proposition, you have a far higher chance of getting your goals (biglaw, not being in TX) out of NU than out of UT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”