Colorado Worth $100k in Debt? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Colorado Worth $100k in Debt?

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Colorado Law finished at number 13 out of 187 law schools for 2009 Article III federal clerkship placement with 9.5% of that class taking federal clerkships. This is a higher percentage than Berkeley, Chicago, Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, Texas, Notre Dame, Cornell, Georgetown & many others. Very impressive.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:18 pm

upfish wrote:Edit: was actually WL'd at UH, not dinged, but same difference I guess.
meh...not for you. With your LSAT being so good for UH, I think getting off that WL is absolutely doable. Show a lot of interest.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:23 pm

crit_racer wrote:
upfish wrote:Edit: was actually WL'd at UH, not dinged, but same difference I guess.
meh...not for you. With your LSAT being so good for UH, I think getting off that WL is absolutely doable. Show a lot of interest.
I sent them a LOCI 4/4/11, but there's not much more I can do right? They are famously awful at dragging out the admit process (don't review WL until late May-early June), and my second seat deposits are coming due at STCL (5/9, ridiculously), and CU (6/9ish). I can't pay both seconds, correct? CU's is $500, so I'll be out a LOT of cash no matter what I do I guess.

Thoughts on course of action? Drop STCL, wait out UH WL removal, move forward towards CU? Should I really reconsider a reapply *again*?
CanadianWolf wrote:Colorado Law finished at number 13 out of 187 law schools for 2009 Article III federal clerkship placement with 9.5% of that class taking federal clerkships. This is a higher percentage than Berkeley, Chicago, Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, Texas, Notre Dame, Cornell, Georgetown & many others. Very impressive.
Did not know this, but that's p. cool.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:34 pm

don't go to STCL. As a Texan, I can tell you that you do not want that degree next to your name.

Deposit at CU, call UH and ask if you can come in for an interview or something. They will probably say no, but at least you're making an effort.

Then, at the endish of May, send another LOCI. You don't need to rehash a bunch of shit you've already mentioned or dig too deep for new material. Just say you really want to go there and will attend if admitted.

If you don't get off UH waitlist, go to CU, IMO

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:36 pm

US News rankings do not do justice to Colorado Law, in my opinion. The Article III federal clerkship placement figures support my opinion as does the outstanding student/faculty ratio & the new facilities (5 years old). I suspect that Colorado's honesty in reporting employment figures caused the recent tumble. It is difficult to find a more beautiful setting or more attractive facilities. Hopefully, US News will catch up to the reality.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:41 pm

why is Houston WL-ing you. so ridiculous. last year, i swear they were accepting anyone with a 161. the year before that it was like a 160. hope you get in off the WL.

maybe you can schedule a brief meet/greet with Jamie Dillon and tell her in person that a.) UH is your top choice because your SO is here; b.) you got into a better law school but would still take UH blah blah blah; c.) you demand at least 5k a year w/ 5k one time for making you wait.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:45 pm

crit_racer wrote:don't go to STCL. As a Texan, I can tell you that you do not want that degree next to your name.

Deposit at CU, call UH and ask if you can come in for an interview or something. They will probably say no, but at least you're making an effort.

Then, at the endish of May, send another LOCI. You don't need to rehash a bunch of shit you've already mentioned or dig too deep for new material. Just say you really want to go there and will attend if admitted.

If you don't get off UH waitlist, go to CU, IMO
Yeah, I wasn't thrilled about STCL, it's just so fucking cheap, you know?

Good ideas.
bartleby wrote:why is Houston WL-ing you. so ridiculous. last year, i swear they were accepting anyone with a 161. the year before that it was like a 160. hope you get in off the WL.
Thanks, and totally agree. I was positive I was an auto-admit w/scholly, and boom, waitlisted. *So* irritating.

tittsburghfeelers

Bronze

Post by tittsburghfeelers » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:45 pm

OP - that's really unfortunate that you were W/L at UH with your LSAT. I definitely would ride the w/l and hope to get off of it becuase UH seems like a perfect fit for you. Regardless, good luck with whatever you decide.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:48 pm

tittsburghfeelers wrote:OP - that's really unfortunate that you were W/L at UH with your LSAT. I definitely would ride the w/l and hope to get off of it becuase UH seems like a perfect fit for you. Regardless, good luck with whatever you decide.
thx, dude. this is my accepted strategy, i think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”