UC Hastings vs. Pittsburgh Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UC Hastings vs. Pittsburgh

Poll ended at Thu May 05, 2011 11:34 pm

UC Hastings
25%
Pittsburgh
75%

Total votes: 12

kristyk

New

UC Hastings vs. Pittsburgh

Post by kristyk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm into UC Hastings where out-of-state tuition runs about $70k -- I've been awarded the Hastings Grant which is $11k.

I'm also into Pittsburgh where tuition runs about $35k -- and I've been awarded their Dean's Scholarship, which is $15k. (Have to maintain a 3.0 GPA to keep the Scholarship.)

So, UC Hastings at $59k + higher COL... OR... Pittsburgh at $20k and a more comfortable COL.

Both schools have programs I'm interested in. I'm originally from the northeast so I'm not "turned off" by Pittsburgh the way others might be. But I'm sensitive to fact that Hastings is a Top 50 school and Pittsburgh isn't. Or am I making too big of a deal out of rankings?

Thanks in advance, TLS forum readers! :)

Diamond

Re: UC Hastings vs. Pittsburgh

Post by 20160810 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:52 pm

Do you want to work in CA or (hopefully) work in Pittsburgh? This will answer your question.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:52 pm

SBL wrote:Do you want to work in CA or (hopefully) work in Pittsburgh? This will answer your question.

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:59 pm

kristyk wrote:I'm into UC Hastings where out-of-state tuition runs about $70k -- I've been awarded the Hastings Grant which is $11k.

I'm also into Pittsburgh where tuition runs about $35k -- and I've been awarded their Dean's Scholarship, which is $15k. (Have to maintain a 3.0 GPA to keep the Scholarship.)

So, UC Hastings at $59k + higher COL... OR... Pittsburgh at $20k and a more comfortable COL.

Both schools have programs I'm interested in. I'm originally from the northeast so I'm not "turned off" by Pittsburgh the way others might be. But I'm sensitive to fact that Hastings is a Top 50 school and Pittsburgh isn't. Or am I making too big of a deal out of rankings?

Thanks in advance, TLS forum readers! :)
I think you are, haha, Honestly, the difference in placement between a 42 and a 71 is not as large as the difference in ranking would lead you to believe. Rankings after the top 30 are wildly volatile, and it is not uncommon for schools to rise or fall 15 or so points from year to year (case in point, Villanova this year). These rises and falls in ranking don't mean a thing placement wise; the reputation of a school is built up over decades.

That said, I would chose Pitt; $59K in tuition alone is insane. These are both regional schools. Are you absolutely OK with being limited to the Pittsburgh market for quite some time? Also, what is the median GPA of students at Pitt? Hopefully above a 3.0, which is your stipulation.

kristyk

New

Post by kristyk » Tue May 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Median GPA is 3.1 and scholarship stips maintaining a 3.0.

I visited the school this past weekend and had a really great visit. I think I'm going to choose Pitt for now (unless I get off the waitlists at either Minnesota or Wisconsin).

Thanks for the help!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Tue May 10, 2011 9:45 pm

kristyk wrote:Median GPA is 3.1 and scholarship stips maintaining a 3.0.

I visited the school this past weekend and had a really great visit. I think I'm going to choose Pitt for now (unless I get off the waitlists at either Minnesota or Wisconsin).

Thanks for the help!
Good choice. Paying $60K per year to attend a school NOT named Harvard, Stanford, or Yale is a bad idea.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed May 11, 2011 2:56 am

yep.

definitely pitt; hastings is just a really tough choice to justify for the OOS cost. just insane. only way you could is if you really wanted SF/CA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”